Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:09 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I believe an accurate translation of the question would be "Are you Officer or Enlisted?"
Gotcha... I missed the "joke" on that one. I am enlisted.E-6. With my allowances, TIS, I make just over $70,000 a year. Pay is not as bad as many people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 04:47 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Gotcha... I missed the "joke" on that one. I am enlisted.E-6. With my allowances, TIS, I make just over $70,000 a year. Pay is not as bad as many people think.
I definitively agree with this (and rep points to you).

What confuses people is the amount of "pay" that is benefits and allowances. There is an insane amount of bennies you get for wearing a uniform. That's just the compensation plan you signed up for-less pay, more benefits.

The tax-free component, the retirement plan, the food in the dining facility for enlisted soldiers (can't count the number of times when I was enlisted, burned through my pay partying, and ate in the DFAC for a few days), tuition assistance, the free gyms, the free libraries, etc., etc.

All they see is "I am underpaid! I am only making 38,000 a year!"

Well, try to duplicate your lifestyle with 38,000 a year (or whatever your rank/years of service combination is) in the civilian sector. It isn't happening.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:06 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Ya, it was nice not having to worry about paying rent. I guess I can't say too much about someone's motivation to join the military. I basically joined to get out of my crappy town.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:03 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I definitively agree with this (and rep points to you).

What confuses people is the amount of "pay" that is benefits and allowances. There is an insane amount of bennies you get for wearing a uniform. That's just the compensation plan you signed up for-less pay, more benefits.

The tax-free component, the retirement plan, the food in the dining facility for enlisted soldiers (can't count the number of times when I was enlisted, burned through my pay partying, and ate in the DFAC for a few days), tuition assistance, the free gyms, the free libraries, etc., etc.

All they see is "I am underpaid! I am only making 38,000 a year!"

Well, try to duplicate your lifestyle with 38,000 a year (or whatever your rank/years of service combination is) in the civilian sector. It isn't happening.
I am not even talking about that. My last LES was right around $5845. My actual CASH that gets deposited into my bank account is $70k+ a year. I am not even trying to say, "Well, I get paid $3K a month, but have health worth $400 a month, so I am gonna, for the sake of argument, do the math with $3,400 a month"

I know a lot of the time people will try to factor in their intangible benefits.

I make $70K+ in cold hard dollars a year. I get free health, vision, dental, college, travel discounts, uniform allowance, life insurance, retirement plan, on TOP of that. I haven't factored any of that stuff in.

What also confuses people, is if you look at a paychart for an E-6 with 10 years, they don't make that much. They forget, or don't know, that you'll get food and housing allowances. My food allowance is $3875 a year, and my housing allowance is $22,800 a year. So when people look at the pay charts, it doesn't look like much!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:35 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Have a look at the Merchant Marine.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:

What confuses people is the amount of "pay" that is benefits and allowances.
You made some good points, I won't repeat them but would like to add:

1. Retirement - You can retire after you served 20 years. You draw your retirement right then when you retire, not when you get old and wrinkled like me. I started drawing my retirement when I was 42 years old (served in the U.S. Army 22+ years). I guess I have drawn about a half million dollars in retirement pay so far. I did manage to save and invest some of it. When I retired I got a very good paying job, I slaved in the Washington DC area for 10 years. I retired at age 52 (I do some part time work). I do not have to work. My wife works because she has a good paying job which she likes.

2. Medical - It is not all full free as they use to advertise. I am on what is called Tri-Care Prime. I think we pay about $400 per year which covers my wife and I. We use civilian hospitals for the most part. We have had some expensive surgeries... Check what medical insurance is going to cost you and your family. And I salute the US Air Force that took my son to an appropriate hospital by chopper when he was a child and drank what might have been poison.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Military looks good now that I'm on foodstamps and unemployment and can't afford to buy new brakes for my car. I want the honest truth and opinions from those in the service, especially from the non-officers. The thought of being told where to live, where to pcs, go to Iraq, etc<<< that all turned me away from the thought of joining, but now times changed and I'm not doing well in school after all the times I try.

As this seems to be a measure of last resort on your part i cant imagine how down you will be if you fail to qualify for enlistment.
Not sure how it works in the USA but up here in Canada you have to achieve a certain academic level before they will even consider you for enlistment in the forces.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:40 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
I guess I'd just like more info so I know what to ask a recruiter.
I think you should be seeing recruiters pretty soon to begin to see if you even qualify for the military and how long it will take to get in...

Rich

Old 12-09-2010, 09:45 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
DMarie, I am surprised you poste din this thread. I know had this cat walked into my office with this attitiude he'd have been shown the door. Classic time bandit.

Quote:
Some may disagree, but I actually found the movie Jarhead in many instances to be a pretty realistic portrait of what life in the field, in a combat arms unit, is like.

Some was over the top since it was a movie-the death in training so casually, the pyramid of sandbags in the rain taller than a man-but the idea of filling sandbags in the rain as corrective training, for an extended period of time, was spot-on. The article 15, 'you must pay for everything you say!', etc., all pretty close.
Many claimed the movie was boring, but honestly, being in the field or deployed in training exercises pre-Iraq was pretty boring. I imagine it still is at the COPs and FOBs.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:16 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Military looks good now that I'm on foodstamps and unemployment and can't afford to buy new brakes for my car. I want the honest truth and opinions from those in the service, especially from the non-officers. The thought of being told where to live, where to pcs, go to Iraq, etc<<< that all turned me away from the thought of joining, but now times changed and I'm not doing well in school after all the times I try.

What careers are there in the military?
What do I sign up for if I want to live in a warmer area?
Pay? Do newbies really get 17k a year plus 10k housing allowance, etc?
What areas have the biggest bonuses?

I guess I'd just like more info so I know what to ask a recruiter.
you don't join for the money you join to serve your country and get a college education or a skilled trade out of it too.

good luck passing the ASVAB

Your scores in four critical areas -- Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension and Mathematics Knowledge (see below) -- count towards your Armed Forces Qualifying Test (AFQT) score. The AFQT score determines whether you're qualified to enlist in the U.S. military.
Your scores in the other areas of the ASVAB will determine how qualified you are for certain military occupational specialties and Enlistment Bonuses. A high score will improve your chances of getting the specialty/job and signing bonus you want.

The AFQT is comprised of your test results in Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), Math Knowledge (MK), and Verbal Composite (VE) x 2. Your Verbal Composite score is a combination of your Word Knowledge and Paragraph Comprehension scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues