Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 PM

134 posts, read 302,873 times

Advertisements

Well, the thread at this place was getting side-tracked and Poncho suggested starting a new thread.

What about it?

Should the US hire mercenaries to enable it to pay for its role as 'Global Policeman'?

Would you - the taxpayer - be prepared to pay more? (Nobody has suggested reducing US Forces manpower to provide additional funds, so the units would require additional money [from the taxpayer]to fund them)

Is this a good idea?

Or should the country (and the Commander-in-chief) draw its horns in, revert to 'protecting its own' and allow other countries [even those who decline to accept American standards of democracy] to go their own way and dig their own holes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 PM

Irishtom29 said:

"Thank you for the up to date information. I was under the impression that the French sometimes use the Legion for situations in former colonies where use of regular French troops would have political ramifications absent when using the Legion but I'm thinking of a couple of decades back. Is this no longer true?

In any event it would be beneficial to have a foreign force in our employ if we go to a draft. One needs cannon fodder to implement policy and the American people have adopted a sentimental attitude towards our own professional soldiery (I think induced by guilt over Viet Nam War draftees), imagine what they'd have for draftees. Can one still hire Swiss by the thousands? "

Old 03-14-2011, 10:40 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,840,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert_Baehr View Post
Well, the thread at this place was getting side-tracked and Poncho suggested starting a new thread.
No, I stated:
Quote:
If you wish to start a thread, please do, and in the appropriate forum...
And of course the Terms of Service (TOS) still apply:Terms Of Service

And last but not least at the top of this forum "Announcement: This forum is not to be used for political arguments. Use Politics and Other Controversies forum instead. Topics about specific miltary bases should be in our local forums"
The above looks OK to me so far...

Rich

Old 03-14-2011, 10:55 PM

I doubt it (The question about the Swiss) Could one ever hire 'Swiss by the thousands'?

The Légion Étrangère are crack troops. Comparable to the SAS, Delta. Seals, SBS and other similar units. They are (none of them) mercenaries.

To get back to the US hiring foreign mercenaries.

IMO, that's a path not worth going down.

The US has an all-volunteer force and that force is (with a tiny number of exceptions) highly professional and totally reliable.

It's not guaranteed - it just happens that way.

How would you guarantee the same level of reliability from a mercenary force?

Would $200,000 a year guarantee the reliability of a (mercenary) PFC? - Maybe.

$50,000 a year might get you a promise... but how much would that promise be worth?

I'm retired military [not yours] and I certainly wouldn't want to work alongside mercenaries.

I worked alongside US forces and I knew I could trust them. They swore similar oaths to those I swore and we were allies.

But mercenaries? - No thanks. Not for me. I'm (was) a professional Air Force Officer and I am (was) not prepared to tolerate amateurs. No matter how highly-paid they were.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
No, I stated:
And of course the Terms of Service (TOS) still apply:Terms Of Service

And last but not least at the top of this forum "Announcement: This forum is not to be used for political arguments. Use Politics and Other Controversies forum instead. Topics about specific miltary bases should be in our local forums"
The above looks OK to me so far...

Rich
My apologies. Is this thread out of line? - I was actually trying to stop the 'off topic' direction in which the other thread seemed to be heading.

People seemed to want to discuss the (possible) use of mercenaries to supplement regular forces, so I started a thread on that topic.

Am I out of order?

Old 03-14-2011, 11:15 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,840,967 times
Quote:
My apologies. Is this thread out of line?
No.

Quote:
- I was actually trying to stop the 'off topic' direction in which the other thread seemed to be heading.
That's my job, to stop the "off topic" stuff...

Quote:
People seemed to want to discuss the (possible) use of mercenaries to supplement regular forces, so I started a thread on that topic.
The term "Mercenaries" seems so out of place to a degree... What about Blackwater USA?

Quote:
Am I out of order?
Not yet, just don't venture into politics.

No, but you are jumping around a bit. A bit confused. I like to keep things simple...

Rich

Old 03-15-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
No.

That's my job, to stop the "off topic" stuff...
We're not at odds there, then.

Quote:
The term "Mercenaries" seems so out of place to a degree... What about Blackwater USA?
A can of worms I wouldn't want to open ... isn't discussion about Blackwater likely to get political? - Either way, Blackwater (American mercenaries) is a long, long way from employing foreign mercenaries. American mercenaries [lets call them 'contractors'] are, ultimately bound by federal law. I suggest it might be impracticable - at the very least -to try to bind mercenaries in the same manner. UCMJ - which does have its flaws - works pretty well.

How would you bind mercenaries to UCNJ? - With a great deal of difficulty, I suggest.

Quote:
Not yet, just don't venture into politics.
Should I venture into politics, that will be by accident. Although I may have an interest in politics, I've no wish to explain that here.

After all, I'm a 'Resident Alium' - I don't even get a vote.

What's that Yankee thing about 'no taxation without representation?

Does that apply in the South? If I don't have a vote, do I have to pay taxes?

I wish!

(When I lived in Albuquerque, I had to pay far too much in taxes. - so it doesn't apply in the SouthWest.)

Quote:
No, but you are jumping around a bit. A bit confused. I like to keep things simple...

Rich
I'm confused too ... by that last bit.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:48 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,122,090 times
Quote:
I doubt it (The question about the Swiss) Could one ever hire 'Swiss by the thousands'?

The Légion Étrangère are crack troops. Comparable to the SAS, Delta. Seals, SBS and other similar units. They are (none of them) mercenaries.

To get back to the US hiring foreign mercenaries.

IMO, that's a path not worth going down.

The US has an all-volunteer force and that force is (with a tiny number of exceptions) highly professional and totally reliable.

It's not guaranteed - it just happens that way.

How would you guarantee the same level of reliability from a mercenary force?

Would $200,000 a year guarantee the reliability of a (mercenary) PFC? - Maybe.

$50,000 a year might get you a promise... but how much would that promise be worth?

I'm retired military [not yours] and I certainly wouldn't want to work alongside mercenaries.

I worked alongside US forces and I knew I could trust them. They swore similar oaths to those I swore and we were allies.

But mercenaries? - No thanks. Not for me. I'm (was) a professional Air Force Officer and I am (was) not prepared to tolerate amateurs. No matter how highly-paid they were.
The Legion has nothing in common with those units, they are not Special Operations capable. They are elite assault troops that serve in a rapid reaction capability. France's suspension of conscription in 2001 has led to some doubts about the Legion's long term future but I think it will be around for quite some time to come. It has been decided that the Legion will share the rapid reaction role with the Troupes de marine (French colonial soldiers from French Guiana, Martinique, Reunion, French Polynesia, etc).

Old 03-15-2011, 06:49 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,530,858 times
The USA can have as large of a military as they desire, since we have far more applicants then openings. The size of our military is determined by our president and congress.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:44 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,791,291 times
Quote:

Yes. At one time they were the finest infantry in Europe; ferocious, disciplined and relentless. They were also politically and militarily reliable when paid on time, unlike Condottieri who were liable to change sides when given a better offer or even subvert and take over the state that had hired them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues