Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You're not going to get rich in the service. The money's just not there and never will be. In fact, if that's your primary reason for considering the armed forces, you're bound to be disappointed and serving would be a huge waste of your time and the Army's resources. Better just stay at home.

But, consider this from an old Veteran who's been around for a few years. Later in life, most men and women look back on the decisions they made and one of their chief regrets seems to be not having served, especially during times of war. In their forties or fifties, they suddenly become aware that they missed something important, something they should have been involved in, something others did in their stead and they often see that as a personal failure, a missed opportunity to know something those others found out. When the subject comes up in conversation, they offer their "excuses" for not having had the guts to meet the challenges of their youth. I've heard it a thousand times. "Well, I couldn't go because of (fill in the blank)."

If you go into the service and do your duty, you'll NEVER have to justify yourself to anyone, ever again. You won't have to feel the shame they feel when in the presence of men and women their own age who didn't shirk their responsibilities. The day will come when the current war is over and, for the rest of your life, you'll be sorry you didn't do your part. And, when you find your co-workers or friends or family members were there, you'll find yourself making YOUR excuses for staying home while others fought for you.

I am a flaming liberal (so the people on C-D tell me) and certainly not what a lot of people would consider a "patriotic" person, but I think you are spot on. I couldn't agree with you more. I don't know if "most" men and women feel that they should have served, but I do. When I graduated from high school (80s), I had a chance to do one of four things 1. Army Band 2. Navy Steel Drum Ensemble 3. West Point or 4. Ivy League School. My best friend was in 1, I had auditioned and qualified for 2, my grades and SATs, etc. qualified me for 3 (and my guidance counselor really touted this), but I had grown up in such a repressive environment that I wanted to get away from regimentation. So off I went to the amorphous life of an Ivy League college student. There's not a day I don't regret my decision. Even in my 20s I thought of going to OCS, but again, didn't do it. After 9-11 I inquired about signing up and was told I was too old.

Now, I don't justify to veterans or anyone else why I didn't serve - it's a decision I regret but one I've come to live with. No need to feel bad about it. I just advise anyone young enough to go in to go on and do it. Even if you are in for just one tour, it'll be worth your while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 04:30 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I am a flaming liberal ...
... I didn't serve - it's a decision I regret but one I've come to live with.
Our culture is influenced a great deal by media. 'We' have largely been programmed to think of US servicemembers as being conservative and anti-liberal.

During my career, I served with guys who were anywhere / everywhere on the political spectrum.

Media programming is a dis-service to intelligent beings.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:47 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
3. West Point

my grades and SATs, etc. qualified me for 3 (and my guidance counselor really touted this)
You can kind of cross this one off your 'regrets' list.

Unless your Congressperson touted this, and you were 1 (or 2 or 3 if 1 gets knocked off or elects not to go) on his nomination list, your grades and SATs would have meant exactly zippo.

There is a line out the *door* of 4.0, top 10% SAT, 3-varsity sport, student body president Eagle Scouts vying for Academy entrance. Having good enough grades and SATs is just the start of the entrance process.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:03 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
You can kind of cross this one off your 'regrets' list.

Unless your Congressperson touted this, and you were 1 (or 2 or 3 if 1 gets knocked off or elects not to go) on his nomination list, your grades and SATs would have meant exactly zippo.

There is a line out the *door* of 4.0, top 10% SAT, 3-varsity sport, student body president Eagle Scouts vying for Academy entrance. Having good enough grades and SATs is just the start of the entrance process.
I had all those things. One of my friends got into Annapolis and our credentials were pretty much the same. I would have gotten in.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You're not going to get rich in the service. The money's just not there and never will be. In fact, if that's your primary reason for considering the armed forces, you're bound to be disappointed and serving would be a huge waste of your time and the Army's resources. Better just stay at home.

But, consider this from an old Veteran who's been around for a few years. Later in life, most men and women look back on the decisions they made and one of their chief regrets seems to be not having served, especially during times of war. In their forties or fifties, they suddenly become aware that they missed something important, something they should have been involved in, something others did in their stead and they often see that as a personal failure, a missed opportunity to know something those others found out. When the subject comes up in conversation, they offer their "excuses" for not having had the guts to meet the challenges of their youth. I've heard it a thousand times. "Well, I couldn't go because of (fill in the blank)."

If you go into the service and do your duty, you'll NEVER have to justify yourself to anyone, ever again. You won't have to feel the shame they feel when in the presence of men and women their own age who didn't shirk their responsibilities. The day will come when the current war is over and, for the rest of your life, you'll be sorry you didn't do your part. And, when you find your co-workers or friends or family members were there, you'll find yourself making YOUR excuses for staying home while others fought for you.

You post reminded me off Shakespeare's St. Crispin's Day speech from Henry V:

WESTMORELAND: O that we now had here
But one ten thousand of those men in England
That do no work to-day!

KING: What’s he that wishes so?
My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;
If we are mark’d to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God’s will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
God’s peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more methinks would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man’s company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call’d the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam’d,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say “To-morrow is Saint Crispian.”
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say “These wounds I had on Crispian’s day.”
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he’ll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb’red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne’er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues