Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 10:47 AM

773 posts, read 1,938,503 times

Advertisements

I spent almost 15 years in the military, just over 9 in the Army and the rest in the Guards. I joined the Guards while still in high school, then when I finished trade school, joined the Army. I got out of the Army in 93 and then after 9/11 I joined the local Guards and went to Iraq for a year in 2004-2005. During this last time, I hurt my back and have been seeing a couple different chiropractors though the last few years. A friend of mine told me of this Chiropractor in Lake Stevens, Washington, so I called them up and scheduled an appointment. On my first visit, I told the doc that lately I have also been having trouble with my feet. I was standing there and I shifted my weight to the inside of my feet to relieve some pressure from the bottom. He just happened to look down at that time and said "You have flat feet. See the military is taking anyone now a days, because they can't get anyone to join who........" I didn't catch the last part of what he said because he stopped or kind of went to a whisper. But then he looks up to me smiling and is almost laughing, like to say, I got you good didn't I. This type of statements is nothing new, I've heard similar statements many times around the west side of the state of Washington, but I'm not going to pay someone, to hear crap like this about our military men and women. Needless to say, I canceled my next appointment and will not be using his services. I still have friends who are in the military as well as relatives.

Just wanted to share my experience with this guy.

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-06-2011 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: edited certain details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 06:01 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Podiatrists are defined as physicians by the U.S. federal government. Podiatry is a branch of medicine devoted to the study, diagnosis, and treatment of disorders of the foot, ankle, and lower leg. I was drafted into the military. I was drafted with flat feet. Flat feet can cause back problems. If you injured you back, then I would think a chiropractor could not do a proper diagnosis, you need to see the appropriate doctors. This site is not the right place for complaints which present defamation issues. If you served in the military and injured you back due to your service you need to get the appropriate medical attention, and I would not start with a chiropractor. Getting proper medical attention can be frustrating, it may take time, hang in there and get the proper treatment.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-08-2011 at 11:50 AM..

Old 12-06-2011, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,390 times
In response to Poncho_NM comment: I would like to know what your qualifications and credentials are to make a statement like "injured your back due to your service you need to get the appropriate medical attention, and I would not start with a chiropractor" and "If you injured you back, then I would think a chiropractor could not do a proper diagnosis, you need to see the appropriate doctors"? As a chiropractic doctor, I have two college degrees, both with honors with them being in biomedical science, along with my doctorate degree in chiropractic. I AM listed as a physician and my training and classes consisted of anatomy, cell physiology, pathology, micorobiology, embryology, neuroanatomy, differential diagnosis, etc... Too many to list! Many studies have been done that show MD's have a subpar knowledge of the neuromusculoskeletal system compared to Chiropractic doctors, especially since that is our specialty. Actually, an exam made up by orthopedic MD's was administered to other MD's that were starting their orthopedic residency and about 70 percent FAILED!! The same exam was given to Chiropractic STUDENTS, again I say STUDENTS, that weren't even graduated yet, and 80 percent of them passed. It's comments like these that the everyday average american reads and doesn't know any better but to assume it is correct and accurate information when in fact it is just an uneducated opinion. Please don't post comments before you do a little research. Thank you.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:34 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,123,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronhaley1983 View Post
In response to Poncho_NM comment: I would like to know what your qualifications and credentials are to make a statement like "injured your back due to your service you need to get the appropriate medical attention, and I would not start with a chiropractor" and "If you injured you back, then I would think a chiropractor could not do a proper diagnosis, you need to see the appropriate doctors"? As a chiropractic doctor, I have two college degrees, both with honors with them being in biomedical science, along with my doctorate degree in chiropractic. I AM listed as a physician and my training and classes consisted of anatomy, cell physiology, pathology, micorobiology, embryology, neuroanatomy, differential diagnosis, etc... Too many to list! Many studies have been done that show MD's have a subpar knowledge of the neuromusculoskeletal system compared to Chiropractic doctors, especially since that is our specialty. Actually, an exam made up by orthopedic MD's was administered to other MD's that were starting their orthopedic residency and about 70 percent FAILED!! The same exam was given to Chiropractic STUDENTS, again I say STUDENTS, that weren't even graduated yet, and 80 percent of them passed. It's comments like these that the everyday average american reads and doesn't know any better but to assume it is correct and accurate information when in fact it is just an uneducated opinion. Please don't post comments before you do a little research. Thank you.

I did not trust/believe in Chiropractors for YEARS...

Then, I had a severe neck injury.

Chiropractors made me a believer, and GREATLY improved my condition.

I believe, I believe...

Doctors and the PRACTICE of medicine... not so much.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:42 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,639,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
I spent almost 15 years in the military, just over 9 in the Army and the rest in the Guards. I joined the Guards while still in high school, then when I finished trade school, joined the Army. I got out of the Army in 93 and then after 9/11 I joined the local Guards and went to Iraq for a year in 2004-2005. During this last time, I hurt my back and have been seeing a couple different chiropractors though the last few years. A friend of mine told me of this Chiropractor in Lake Stevens, Washington, so I called them up and scheduled an appointment. On my first visit, I told the doc that lately I have also been having trouble with my feet. I was standing there and I shifted my weight to the inside of my feet to relieve some pressure from the bottom. He just happened to look down at that time and said "You have flat feet. See the military is taking anyone now a days, because they can't get anyone to join who........" I didn't catch the last part of what he said because he stopped or kind of went to a whisper. But then he looks up to me smiling and is almost laughing, like to say, I got you good didn't I. This type of statements is nothing new, I've heard similar statements many times around the west side of the state of Washington, but I'm not going to pay someone, to hear crap like this about our military men and women. Needless to say, I canceled my next appointment and will not be using his services. I still have friends who are in the military as well as relatives.

Just wanted to share my experience with this guy.
Saw-bones didn't get the memo -- this isn't 2007 anymore. The military is actually kicking people out and being very selective on who it lets in. Don't let the dude's opinion trouble you though, msta. Some people love us, some despise us -- what are you going to do? You can't live your life worrying about what others think.

As a fellow veteran, let me say -- you've got me. I've only been in the Army since 2000, so most Americans I have dealt with have been more than kind and fair toward me. This past decade has been a good one for positive feelings toward the troops. I'm starting to sense the mood changing though. People are starting to be rude or condescending. It's kind of weird for me because I'm just not used to this treatment. But you know what, I don't care.

My time in has taught me that brothers and sisters in arms need to stick together because when the **** hits the fan, we're all we really have. Civvies may say they "support the troops" -- and God bless those who do -- but they don't get it. When I see the sad eyes and slow moving bodies of guys my age (mid 30s -- not old), I get it. They're my brothers, and I hope that they live for many decades to come. I realize the longer they live, the more they will be forgotten. But I won't forget them. And I won't forget the vets from wars before my time, and vets in any wars to come. Anybody who has put their life on the line is going to get a little extra consideration from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues