Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 01:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times

Advertisements

Urinals are omitted from the Gerald R. Ford class of carriers, due to hit the fleet in 2015, as both a cost-saving measure and an attempt to make bathrooms more gender-neutral.

Urinal-free ships allow the Navy to easily switch a bathroom's designation between male and female, helping the ship adapt to changing crews. In addition, urinals clog more than toilets and can cost more to maintain.

read more New Class of Navy Carriers Will Forego Urinals | Advocate.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
No big deal, submarines never had them.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:24 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Urinals clog more than toilets? Since when? Only time I saw any part of the sewage system clogged was when women were first put on board the USS LaSalle AGF-3 in 1994. Their "products" we're being flushed and clogged the line. Thankfully the captain had the balls to order all women back to the female berthing compartment. He had them fix their own mistake, under the guidence of the HTs, and they were to clean the head and berthing compartment for his personal inspection. None of them were going on liberty until it passed his inspection. When it finally passed, think it was close to 8pm, he told them if they clog it up again then they'll be fixing and cleaning it up again. Two years later they did not clog up the system.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:56 PM

16 posts, read 18,041 times
Like everything else, you will have people griping about it, but eventually, folks will adapt. They always do. People hate change.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:40 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
Great, one of the last bastions where a man can speak freely without worrying about offending some broad is going away.

Also, since when do urinals clog? I agree with sailordave, that rarely happens. In all the years I worked retail and the military I cleaned a lot of toilets and urinals. I can't recall a single time when the urinal clogged. The women's toilet was always dirty than the male's and they clogged more often. Some people seem to have trouble understanding the concept that you can't put absorbent material into a waterpipe and not expect a blockage.

I can understand this policy on a sub, since there is so little room to begin with.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:26 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Also, since when do urinals clog?
Check with some real plumbers.

Search google.com or your favorite search engine for the phrase clogged urinals

You should find that urinals clog at a higher rate than toilets...

Old 07-13-2012, 10:35 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Our hospital's on staff plumber has been working at our 11 floor hospital for close to 20 years disagrees with you. The only time he's had clogged urinals was when they switched to one with a large opening instead of the one with small holes. Some people would stuff it with paper towels to intentionally clog the urinal. At our hospital, most of the clogs are toilets and the vast majority of the time are clogged up by women who have no clue what doesn't belong in the toilet. I think plumbers remember the clogged urinals because they're harder to unclog. We've occasionally had our main line clogged because someone flushed the chucks (the blue absorbent pad that goes on the bed incase the patient has an accident). Some patients or families get embarrassed and flush this thing. In one case, they flushed two and clogged it so bad that the plumbers broke two bits and had to switch to a cutting bit before they could pull it out. They spent nearly 12 hours trying to unclog the main line.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:59 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

No thanks, I'd rather not Google clogged urinals. Rule 41 dictates that I will see something that can't be unseen.

I only have anecdotal evidence to support my opinion, but my experience has been that the toilet clogs more than the urinal. As a matter of fact, the only time I can think of a problem with the urinal is ignoramuses putting cigarette butts in there.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:12 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
I am an ET, not a MM. I have never unclogged any plumbing on a sub. Though I have known a few MMs who have 'dived' into sanitary tanks to unclog them. Mostly as I recall it was the 'chunky-pumps' that clog.

Somewhere in my travels, I have heard the story/myth that urinal mints melt in the presence of warm body fluids, and once the chemical is in the piping the chemical will re-solidify forming a plague in the piping. Which was why mints are only used in the Navy during inspections, and not on a daily basis.

As to the OP.

You have a bulkhead. On this bulkhead you can install six toilets [contracted to the 'Crapper' manufacturing corporation so they always have 'Crapper' embossed in the enamel] and six pissers; or you can install twelve toilets. Either way 6 and 6 or 12 it takes up the same amount of room on a bulkhead. So my question is, how does money get 'saved' to put in 12 toilets?

I can see that you slashed the pisser budget by no longer installing them; but this means that you have now increased the toilet budget by installing the additional toilets.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:31 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
So my question is, how does money get 'saved' to put in 12 toilets?

I can see that you slashed the pisser budget by no longer installing them; but this means that you have now increased the toilet budget by installing the additional toilets.
If they do cost more to maintain, money is saved in maintenance. The savings doesn't have to be right away to still be counted as savings; it's the total cost of a system over its life. BRAC operates entirely on that principle (it costs to close now, but over time we will get more benefits).

Note before you flame me: I didn't say I believe this. I just see the logic if they do cost less to maintain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues