Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 01:50 PM

628 posts, read 1,389,229 times

Advertisements

I have a question about Chief Warrant Officers in the Navy: Why do they ALL have the EXACT same Rank Name (Ranks W-2 - W-5) and where is W-1 on the list?~ o.O

I'm trying to memorize all the ranks to prepare for basic while I'm in the DEP, some of them are really confusing like the one issue above.~

Also, my recruiter said I'm technically considered an "Airman" (E-3) since my MOS is AG or Aerographer's Mate, but I MIGHT also be considered a "Seaman" (E-3) depending on whether or not they changed it. Which is it, does it matter, and what is the difference?~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 02:46 PM

Default Navy Selected Reserve Check-In Specifics - I signed up with the Navy

I signed up with the Navy as an AG E-3 on 20130816 for a 8-year guaranteed contract with 4-year active duty and 4-year reserves.~

My recruiter said because I signed up for a 4-year active duty and 4-year reserves 8-year total contract I will be Selected Reserves instead of IRR.~ This means that there will different rules for my reserve duty.~

Instead of only having to check-in once a year like in Navy IRR Reserves, I will have to report in once a weekend every month for Navy Selected Reserves.~

I don't know how this will work since I plan on getting my own ship, growing all my hair out including my beard, and sailing where ever the wind and sea take me.~

My question is can I check-in in Navy Selected Reserves at ANY United States of America Navy station as I hear they have stations worldwide?~

Is it possible to check-in via Skype or some other none in-person method?~

Are there any uniform and grooming rules in Navy Selected Reserves?~

Or am better off just making ALL or MOST of my 8-year contract active?~

Thank you,

ColorsWolf

Old 08-30-2013, 03:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
I have a question about Chief Warrant Officers in the Navy: Why do they ALL have the EXACT same Rank Name (Ranks W-2 - W-5) and where is W-1 on the list?
They are now all Chief Warrant Officer's. The Navy stopped using ranks of Warrant Officer 1, pay grade W-1, in the 70's. The Navy, and some other services appoint their warrant officers directly to the rank of CWO2, as chief warrant officers. The ranks now go up to CWO5. The Pay Grades W-1 to W-5.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-30-2013 at 04:57 PM..

Old 08-30-2013, 04:47 PM

626 posts, read 1,239,952 times
Quote:
I have a question about Chief Warrant Officers in the Navy: Why do they ALL have the EXACT same Rank Name (Ranks W-2 - W-5) and where is W-1 on the list?~ o.O

I'm trying to memorize all the ranks to prepare for basic while I'm in the DEP, some of them are really confusing like the one issue above.~

Also, my recruiter said I'm technically considered an "Airman" (E-3) since my MOS is AG or Aerographer's Mate, but I MIGHT also be considered a "Seaman" (E-3) depending on whether or not they changed it. Which is it, does it matter, and what is the difference?~

I know it's OT...but...a couple of tips.

An E-1 in the Air Force is an Airman Basic (AB)
An E-2 in the Air Force is an Airman (AMN)
An E-3 in the Air Force is an Airman First Class (A1C).
Air Force does not have MOS...they are AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code)

Sorry for the intrusion.

Carry on.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
It is not "mos", the Navy uses rates.

Your rate will be Aerographer's Mate; so when you hit e4, you will be "Aerographer's Mate 3rd class (AG3); this is also the basic rank of petty officer third class.

So with e3, you will be the basic rank of seaman, after you go to school and get your rate, you will be called "Aerographer's mate, seaman"; but people will just say "seaman".

It all depends, who, when, situation, etc. Do not worry, you will learn quickly!

Advice about boot; please do not get mixed up in the drama there, just go in, do as you are told, do not take anything personal, and you will be done.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:21 PM

193 posts, read 405,138 times
First, decide to spend some time to learn to properly wear your uniform and perform the duties assigned to you in order to contribute to the mission of your unit and prepare yourself for added responsibilities and eventual promotions. When it finally sinks in that your dreams of a nautical vagabonds life at sea are unrealistic, suppress the desire to go choke the living s**t out of your lying recruiter like most other enlisted members of the military and make the best use of your 8 year contract.
The uniform regs and grooming standards are the same for active duty and SELRES personnel. Members of the SELRES are assigned to units that augment the crews of ships and air squadrons. They perform 2 day weekend drills once a month and 12 days of duty at their active duty site once a year. I did 12 years active and 20 years SELRES. I have served as Senior Chief of the Command, several tours as Executive Officer (W4), and as Acting Commanding Officer. I served on Cruisers and Destroyers.
bznavyveteran

Old 08-31-2013, 01:54 AM

I guess I could put off growing my beard and hair until my 8-year contract is over, but reporting in that often could be difficult as I will be traveling every chance I get (I'll MAKE it happen).~

I shall have to contemplate this further, fortunately I have 4 years of active duty to think it over.~

Old 08-31-2013, 12:24 PM

193 posts, read 405,138 times
When I joined in 1961, there was a total 6 year military obligation, usually 4 yr active and 2 years of card carrying individual read reserve (IRR) (no required drill). I understand that it's now an 8 year obligation. I find it hard to believe that your contract will require you to me in the SELRES after 4 years active. SELRES was always a voluntary component. You need to read your contract. (Wow, does anyone ever get a copy of that?)
I had a reservist working for me once who loved to surf. His uniform and grooming standards were within standards. He was a voluntary member of the SELRES and did his monthly drills and his 12 day annual active duty for training (ACDUTRA). In his private life, he lived off his drill pay and what ever he could make from odd jobs he would find. He was always asking for TAD (temp assigned duty) orders to NAVSTA (naval station) Hawaii. We found out years later (after he was arrested) that he would go on base and check in for 2 days for drill, check out, and sneak back into the barracks to sleep at night for the rest of the month.
I google searched and read the description of the AG rate. Sounds interesting. Life on an aircraft carrier, probably.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:51 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Everyone who enlists in the United States Military incurs a MINIMUM eight-year service obligation.
Specifically:

DoD Instruction 1304.25, August 25, 1997, Fulfilling the Military Service Obligation (MSO) This is a PDF file

Quote:
It is DoD policy under 10 U.S.C. (reference (b)) that:

4.1. Every person, on initial entry into a Military Service, shall serve a total of 8
years, to be fulfilled, in accordance with this Instruction.

4.2. The MSO for any person whose initial entry into a Military Service is on or
after June 1, 1984, shall be for a period of 8 years from the date of enlistment,
appointment, or, when authorized by law, induction.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:48 PM

Thanks bznavyveteran and Poncho_NM, both really big helps!~

As a matter of fact I DO have my copy of my contract.~

When I get to the reserves part it just says I'm enlisting in the NAVAL RESERVE for 8 years, 4 of which are Active Duty Obligation, and 4 years to be served in the Reserve Component of the Service in which I have enlisted. If this is my first time enlisting then I am required to serve 8 years, this eight year service requirement is called the Military Service Obligation. Additional details are in Section C and Annex(es) "A".~

Unfortunately there are 2 "a.'s" in Section C.~

This is confusing.~ @.@
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues