Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:54 PM

4 posts, read 19,275 times

Advertisements

Here is my question to the Military community. Sorry, coz it's going to be lengthy!

I have met a soldier that is currently serving in Turkey. We have been emailing almost 3 months now. He said he was getting ready to come back to the states soon but then told me his tour was extended by 12 weeks. Ok, I can believe that. Well he's telling me that he "loves me" (which I'm not falling for but I do care for him and like him..LIKE, not love) well he told me that he could get a satellite cell phone so we could text and maybe talk on the phone. Of course, I was excited until he told me I'd have to post a one time connection fee of $300, which I'd post here in the states. He said he would pay me back as soon as he got home. I told him I couldn't do that. He asked me to borrow the money, if I could. I told him that was not an option. I told him to send me the money and I'd be happy to do so. He said being overseas, he had no access to his money. He's single with no kids or family. I asked him to contact his POA and have them wire me the money or connect it for him. He said he'd take care of it. On Valentine's day I got a text from him. He said a friend of his fringed the money and that the guys sister went to pay it. Well I asked him to call me bit he says they can't call just whenever coz of security reasons. Ok, agn, I can believe that.

He has told me that he was putting in for leave so that he can come home earlier and that he's also going to drop his retirement paperwork. He said to make the process easier he asked if I could send an email to a "diplomat" that will help him get it started. I was to email this guy wait to get the info that was requested and print them out, sign then scan and send them back to the guy I'm talking to. He said the Army requires he has a beneficiary got his paper work and since he had no-one he wants to put me down. He process to tell me that there is a $550 processing fee and that he would pay me back. I told him I was NOT sending any money to anyone. Well he told me he was not happy with my decision not to help him get his retirement going. I told him I'd make him a deal. ..give me his social, CO email and his unit info. He said he couldn't do that for "security reasons" .

I don't know anything abt the Military or how they do things...
So please, someone give me some insight. Does this ring true?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:59 PM

This dang phone and typos but I think you'll get the jist of my question.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:09 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,367 times
1. Satellite phones are more expensive, true
2. He could get some type of roaming agreement if he has a cell phone, but they are also very expensive
3. Best options is a phone card

The second part of your paragraph is confusing.

It sounds like a scam and you're right for not sending him any money. Even if it were legit, a grown ass man should have $850.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:10 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
Yes, you are getting scammed. I take it you have never met him in person? He is only CLAIMING to be in the military.

1) Turkey has modern cellular service and there is NO NEED to get a sat phone.
Turkish Mobile (Cell) Phone Companies

2) A service member would not be dealing with a diplomat to help him do anything. He would not have to take leave in order to submit his retirement papers.

The bottom line is this individual is always asking you for money. You are being scammed on that fact alone.
Run away.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:29 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,100 times
It certainly sounds like he's trying to scam you.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
If a military member is telling you he/she doesn't have access to their money back in the states because they are stationed overseas you're definitely getting scammed. He has a paycheck, he could easily come up with $300 if he wanted to.

Also, saying he can't call because of security reasons is ridiculous. He's in Turkey is a developed country and a strong ally of ours and he surely can call if he wanted, he's not in the hills of Afghanistan.

Something else is going on if a Soldier is trying to get a satellite phone and he's stationed in Turkey.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
It sounds like a scam and you're right for not sending him any money. Even if it were legit, a grown ass man should have $850.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Yes, you are getting scammed. I take it you have never met him in person? He is only CLAIMING to be in the military.

The bottom line is this individual is always asking you for money. You are being scammed on that fact alone.
Run away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
It certainly sounds like he's trying to scam you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
If a military member is telling you he/she doesn't have access to their money back in the states because they are stationed overseas you're definitely getting scammed. He has a paycheck, he could easily come up with $300 if he wanted to.
We have several U.S. Air Bases in Turkey, with post exchanges, banking, snack bars, movies, even a pizza parlor for U.S. Military personnel...

You are being scammed. Five different people who have been in the military are telling you that you are being scammed.

Tell him you want to send him some personal letters by mail. Ask him for his military postal address. He should have a military mailing address like:
Name
425 ABS, Unit 6870 Box 51
APO, AE

Old 03-06-2014, 09:08 PM

595 posts, read 2,702,103 times
Today is your most lucky day! You have been contacted by a Nigerian Prince and he wants to make you rich!

Seriously though, guy is probably NOT even in the military. Did you "meet" him online, by chance? If so, don't make contact with him again, and definitely DO NOT send him money. No Military Member worth his/her salt would ask someone they've been emailing for three months to front them money.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:22 PM

I really appreciate all the input.

I met him online..big surprise there huh? So no,we haven't actually met.

Lol @ Nigerian Prince. That's the first thing I thought of.

I have not nor will I send him money. I am very skeptical of people!

He has sent me countless photos but of course that doesn't mean it's him.

Agn, thanks for the replies and to those who have served..Thank you for your service! :-)

Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Wow, I don't even know where to begin ! Of course it is a scam, absolutely, positively. How do these guys get away with this stuff ?

I feel for you, you have invested 3 months of your emotions into this " relationship" and it has all the earmarks of someone who has set you up. Time to put on your big girl pants and stop being this guys sucker. Whenever someone you haven't even met starts asking for money lots of big red flags should go up and if they don't then you deserve to be taken advantage of.

Use your head and stop communicating with this guy. You have made a good start by standing your ground, now keep it up and follow your instincts. No one who cares about you starts asking for money, PERIOD !

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues