Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 11:05 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latin_starr1968 View Post
Here is my question to the Military community. Sorry, coz it's going to be lengthy!

I have met a soldier that is currently serving in Turkey. We have been emailing almost 3 months now. He said he was getting ready to come back to the states soon but then told me his tour was extended by 12 weeks. Ok, I can believe that. Well he's telling me that he "loves me" (which I'm not falling for but I do care for him and like him..LIKE, not love) well he told me that he could get a satellite cell phone so we could text and maybe talk on the phone. Of course, I was excited until he told me I'd have to post a one time connection fee of $300, which I'd post here in the states. He said he would pay me back as soon as he got home. I told him I couldn't do that. He asked me to borrow the money, if I could. I told him that was not an option. I told him to send me the money and I'd be happy to do so. He said being overseas, he had no access to his money.
If he is on Active Duty, he gets a regular pay-check sent to his bank. He may not have easy access to a bank where he is located, but so long as he has access to the internet, he does have access to his banking.

For anything that he wants to buy, he can spend his money for that purpose.

Quote:
... He has told me that he was putting in for leave so that he can come home earlier and that he's also going to drop his retirement paperwork
To 'retire' means that he has served for at least 20 years. Once a servicemember submits his paperwork to retire, that is NOT just dropped.

Quote:
... He said to make the process easier he asked if I could send an email to a "diplomat" that will help him get it started. I was to email this guy wait to get the info that was requested and print them out, sign then scan and send them back to the guy I'm talking to. He said the Army requires he has a beneficiary got his paper work and since he had no-one he wants to put me down. He process to tell me that there is a $550 processing fee and that he would pay me back. I told him I was NOT sending any money to anyone. Well he told me he was not happy with my decision not to help him get his retirement going. I told him I'd make him a deal. ..give me his social, CO email and his unit info. He said he couldn't do that for "security reasons".
This sounds very fishy.

His command should have an 'ombudsman' somewhere stateside, whose job is to assist dependents with connecting to any services they need. Ask to speak with his ombudsman during regular office hours, so you can meet face-to-face with the ombudsman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 03:23 AM

1 posts, read 762 times
Hi I started talking to an army guy 2 weeks ago he told me he’s single, no kids, he told me he’s stationed in San Antonio but currently deployed in Africa we haven’t talk on the phone because he told me he would have to pay a lot, he can only text, also he asked me to open a bank account so he can transfer his money to USA cuz he can’t use his money in Africa he hasn’t asks me for money yet he told me that he likes me and he can’t wait to meet me in June should I believe him ?

Old 01-15-2018, 04:06 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiby18 View Post
Hi I started talking to an army guy 2 weeks ago he told me he’s single, no kids, he told me he’s stationed in San Antonio but currently deployed in Africa we haven’t talk on the phone because he told me he would have to pay a lot, he can only text, also he asked me to open a bank account so he can transfer his money to USA cuz he can’t use his money in Africa he hasn’t asks me for money yet he told me that he likes me and he can’t wait to meet me in June should I believe him ?
Yes you should, if you want to lose a bunch of money.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:50 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Welcome to Nigeria Run do not walk.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:05 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
It is a scam....

You never met the guy. You just wrote. It is a scam.

The lowest ranking U.S. Army soldier gets paid over $1,400 per month pay. Plus there are other bonuses. And overseas pay. And a place to live. And free food. This is a scam.

It is all BS... Don't associate with this person... It is all a scam....

Old 01-15-2018, 09:25 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Quote:
He has access to internet if he's at a military base, so he can open his own bank account online. Also, he already has a US bank account from his life in San Antonio. The military deposits his money into his US Bank account every two weeks. No way does he not already have a bank account.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:30 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:

Definitely a scam. His paycheck would already be direct deposited in a US bank or credit union. The military does not pay with cash or checks and hasn't for a long time. When I was in Afghanistan we were able to call home on phones provided by the military. We were not able to text, unless we went out and bought a cell phone and a plan from a local provider, at considerable expense. Scammer.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:10 AM

1 posts, read 563 times
Exclamation Soldier Scam

I need to know about making payment for flight ticket (Scott Wallace) he told me its already expired and have to oay $400 to renew flight ticket.
Is it true?
Can he pay for it?
Can he have access to his account while he is in syria?
Do i have to pay $400 for flight ticket???

Old 06-04-2018, 05:41 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Not the Scott Wallace scams again... they've been circulating online for nearly ten years. Delete. Run away. Block that person's email and/or text. Ignore.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:54 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Home scam artist sentenced to 5 years in prison | Local News | nwitimes.com

Quote:
Home scam artist sentenced to 5 years in prison
HOME SCAM: Brian Scott Wallace to repay all victims

RUTHANN ROBINSON
rrobinson@nwitimes.com
219.662.5331 Dec 2, 2004

CROWN POINT An Ecstasy addiction led a Munster man to bilk Lake County residents out of thousands of dollars last summer, his lawyer told Lake Criminal Court Judge Clarence Murray at the sentencing hearing Wednesday.

Murray sentenced Brian Scott Wallace, 28, to five years in prison and five years probation on the five counts of D-felony theft to which Wallace pleaded guilty. Prosecutors dismissed several other charges, but as part of the negotiated plea agreement, Wallace will repay all parties named in all charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues