Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 08:03 AM

6 posts, read 47,160 times

Advertisements

Good Morning!

The Air Force has always been a dream of mine. I was diagnosed with PCOS in March of 2013. A little background on me THIS MAY BE TMI --> I began my periods very early (age 9) and by time I reached 8th or 9th grade they would disappear for months at a time; this was always attributed to my age at the time but it never has been normal; maybe 3 or 4 a year (not induced). My fiance and I were trying to conceive in 2013 which was when I began seeing my doctor & he prescribed me Provera & Clomid to jump start my periods and make my body ovulate (this was only to conceive not regular treatment) they chose not to prescribe birth control to regulate my periods for obvious reasons. I have went through and had all exams and ultra sounds (at MY request) and came out fine March 2014 when I went to get my annual pap. Do you see this being a problem?

I guess I'm not understanding why me not being able to conceive would possibly DQ'ing or less periods than the average female would hender my ability to serve. So this is a blessing and a curse lol

If there is a waiver that is required what are the actual chances on receive a waiver in 2014? I'm hearing so many horror stories of waivers not being given for the smallest things! HELP

Any advice or information is welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 02:41 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,576 times
Certain areas of the Medical Enlistment Standards state that It would depend on how severe your symptoms are (of course whether or not you disclose those symptoms during your military entrance physical). For example, current or history of ovarian cysts if persitent or symptomatic is disqualifying. Also, current or history of endometriosis is disqualifying. Abnormal uterine bleeding or amenorrhea is disqualifying. Other disorders such as mood disorders, depression, or anxiety is disqualifying. Current uncontrolled hypothyroidism or other endocrine or metabolic disorders that prevent satisfactory performance of duty is disqualifying.

In my area, the Air Force has not had to enlist anyone with any sort of waiver for the last 3-4 years. It may be different in your area, all you can do is try.

Good luck.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:20 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
You have PCOS with associated problems, you are trying to get pregnant, and you are thinking about going into the air force? Did I read that right?

If so, I would advise against it even if you get a waiver. The body can only do so much at one time.

If not, you can try a waiver but with all the DOD cuts coming...

Old 04-18-2014, 06:43 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Were you actually diagnosed with PCOS?

Old 04-18-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
You have PCOS with associated problems, you are trying to get pregnant, and you are thinking about going into the air force? Did I read that right?

If so, I would advise against it even if you get a waiver. The body can only do so much at one time.

If not, you can try a waiver but with all the DOD cuts coming...

I am not currently trying to get pregnant that was over a year ago. Unfortunately, my fiance moved out of state for work and after thinking it over it would be too much of a hassle right now at 24yrs old to raise a kid primarily alone with him being gone.

I don't really have problems w/ it my period just decides when it wants to come every couple months instead of monthly. I went in for my annual & requested everything be checked out since my Dr. never gave me an initial ultra sound before diagnosis.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Were you actually diagnosed with PCOS?
If I'm not mistaken it is in my file

Old 04-18-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Certain areas of the Medical Enlistment Standards state that It would depend on how severe your symptoms are (of course whether or not you disclose those symptoms during your military entrance physical). For example, current or history of ovarian cysts if persitent or symptomatic is disqualifying. Also, current or history of endometriosis is disqualifying. Abnormal uterine bleeding or amenorrhea is disqualifying. Other disorders such as mood disorders, depression, or anxiety is disqualifying. Current uncontrolled hypothyroidism or other endocrine or metabolic disorders that prevent satisfactory performance of duty is disqualifying.

In my area, the Air Force has not had to enlist anyone with any sort of waiver for the last 3-4 years. It may be different in your area, all you can do is try.

Good luck.
Thanks for your feedback... looks like I'm gonna need all the luck I can get!!! (fingers crossed)

Old 04-18-2014, 12:05 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayMonea View Post
Good Morning!

The Air Force has always been a dream of mine. I was diagnosed with PCOS in March of 2013. A little background on me THIS MAY BE TMI --> I began my periods very early (age 9) and by time I reached 8th or 9th grade they would disappear for months at a time; this was always attributed to my age at the time but it never has been normal; maybe 3 or 4 a year (not induced). My fiance and I were trying to conceive in 2013 which was when I began seeing my doctor & he prescribed me Provera & Clomid to jump start my periods and make my body ovulate (this was only to conceive not regular treatment) they chose not to prescribe birth control to regulate my periods for obvious reasons. I have went through and had all exams and ultra sounds (at MY request) and came out fine March 2014 when I went to get my annual pap. Do you see this being a problem?

I guess I'm not understanding why me not being able to conceive would possibly DQ'ing or less periods than the average female would hender my ability to serve. So this is a blessing and a curse lol

If there is a waiver that is required what are the actual chances on receive a waiver in 2014? I'm hearing so many horror stories of waivers not being given for the smallest things! HELP

Any advice or information is welcomed!
They might not want to have to pay for any upcoming procedures or problems. They want people that are 100% healthy for the most part. Yes, things show up later, but that is different from enlisting with potential health issues.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,691 times
Hello~
I’m not sure if the original poster of this form still checks this post at all, but I would like to know how this ended up... I have PCOS and I see many posts like this all over online, but no results of how it ended. Where you able to join? If so any tips or advice??
In my case, I haven’t been examined for cysts, but I’m able to meet physical standards and I don’t have any unmanageable symptoms. I do take medication, and without it it can be a little overwhelming, but nothing I haven’t been able to handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues