Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:49 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
YOU are missing the point !
By putting a flag at every veterans grave at Memorial Day, they are honoring every veteran who once served and is now dead.
No, you are...it is done out of necessity. Honoring every veteran on Memorial Day is less of a problem then it would be to miss some veterans because they didn't know they died while serving in the military.

You're arguing just to argue now so I'll leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 11:51 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
MN State Veterans Cemetery in Little Falls MN is huge and filling up fast.

Since it was only started in the 1980's , I doubt if there are even 5 graves of servicemen killed in action.

Yet, on Memorial Day, every grave is decorated.

It would be very easy to decorate only the 5 or less graves of servicemen killed in action.

No, I will not tell them that people at an internet site says they are wrong.
The military personal and huge crowds that show up every year might tell me they couldn't care less what internet folk say.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:09 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Found this interesting...The US Army places flags at every service members grave at Arlington National Cemetery prior to Memorial Day. As they don't have time to verify every grave it appears they put a flag at every headstone and in this picture it shows a flag in front of Agnes grave which says she is the wife of RDM3 Francis Hilki? and wasn't actually in the service at all.

Just as the others, it is better to put a flag in front of some that may not rate the flag then it would be to miss someone or take the time to figure out every single grave (they place flags in front of 260,000 gravestones on Memorial Day in Arlington National Cemetery alone).

It also looks better when the public is coming to pay their respects.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/eve...s/FlagsIn.aspx

Last edited by LBTRS; 06-04-2014 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 01:38 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Memorial Day was officially established and is officially listed as a day to remember and honor those who died while in service. However, every American and every service organization, and every church and every patriotic motorcycle club and every Jon & Jane Doe is free to decide if they want to remember and honor only those who did in service or all veterans and service members who have passed away. That is everyone's right in this country. It is a great dishonor to the memory of those who served and died to start limiting how each and every one of use elect to observe memorial day.

As such, I fully support those who believe that there is nothing wrong with placing flags on everyone’s grave even if that’s not the official purpose for the day. I also fully support Island Wear’s decision to honor the day with a 25% off sale on shorts and swimwear even though that is not the official purpose of the day. I also fully support the Home Helper Outlet’s decision to honor the day with a buy one get one free on bagged BBQ charcoal even though that is not the official purpose of the day. And, I fully support the Big Mamma’s Steak house decision to honor the day with their $15.00 (per person) all inclusive memorial day family feast even though that was not the official purpose of the day. If you don’t honor it the way it was intended and make up how it's to be honored because that’s what YOU want it to be, don't complain when others do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues