Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 04:13 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,344,169 times

Advertisements

First I'd say go AIR Guard, not Army Guard. Second, in Basic Training you'll be trained to be able to succeed at those requirement. I spent 20yrs Air Guard. But I was 9 yrs active Marine Corps first and one of the ladies in my platoon in Basic was about your age. She did fine.

Choose your career field wisely.

Even "at your age" you'll be able to do 20+ yrs cuz you can stay in till you're 60. Try to get all the active duty possible for more points towards retirement! Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 05:47 PM

37,491 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
First I'd say go AIR Guard, not Army Guard. Second, in Basic Training you'll be trained to be able to succeed at those requirement. I spent 20yrs Air Guard. But I was 9 yrs active Marine Corps first and one of the ladies in my platoon in Basic was about your age. She did fine.

Choose your career field wisely.

Even "at your age" you'll be able to do 20+ yrs cuz you can stay in till you're 60. Try to get all the active duty possible for more points towards retirement! Have fun!
At 33, if he went full-time then in 20 years [at 53] he would be on pension.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:01 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,344,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
At 33, if he went full-time then in 20 years [at 53] he would be on pension.
Very true. I firmly believe anyone considering the reserves or guard do at least 4 yrs active duty. 1- for the points but 2 - you may decide you like it and it's much easier going reserves off of active but sometimes impossible to go active out of reserves. Plus by the time you do basic and your occupational specialty training, you're well into your 2nd year and you might as well stick out a couple more. Maybe you'll see the world! It's awesome resume stuff, too! 4yrs of OJT as opposed to "trained as a..."

Submariner, I've worked in Groton and Pear Harbor. Your ships are amazing.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:16 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,416,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaRuth View Post
Knightly Knight,

I know there is always the possibility that I will not be the best candidate, there are a few roads I am considering traveling down in my life, though this is just one, it is one of the top 3. I do have an Associate in Science degree and do not think there would be a problem with my background check, though I am not sure exactly what they look into, I personally have never been in any trouble. I want to be a nurse. So as far as my MOS there are a few in the medical field I am looking at. Again, I am seriously considering this as one of my options, but I am also considering a two-year nursing RN program just weighing my options and figuring out what is best for me.

Recruit,

68 Whiskey is a good bet, my advice, do both? it's the beauty of the Army Guard. Two pay checks -)

Get cracking on the cardio which is key, get strong in the process.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues