Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 02:29 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
How much do you think junior enlisted make? After a year, they would probably be able to save about 10k. The ones who live in base housing make at most around 1k a pay check.

What do you suggest? They walk around for a year until they can buy a car?

An enlisted family will need a car. It's not possible to live without one. Implying that they are irresponsible if they take on a small payment is just plain ignorant.
There is no one size fits all but usually there are other options besides going into debt. You could work during high school and save some money from odd jobs, or you could just live close to base and bike to base and take a cab to the grocery store while saving for a car, or you could carpool. I understand that each of these may be impractical for most; however, what are the odds that you really have no choice but to go into debt? I think people aren't trying hard enough, but maybe I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 02:30 PM

37,473 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I remember that (it was 'way back in the mid 90s, unless it's been repeated since).

It was definitely true for Dept of Navy junior enlisted, not just because of finances but also because of the difficulties of Naval deployments. Broke and alone is no way to leave a wife and family with an expectation of a long and healthy marriage. It sucks less in the Army and Air Force, but it can still be very difficult.

One thing not often mentioned is the hit a working military spouse takes with every PCS. I was pretty lucky. My wife was a special education teacher, and everyplace needs special education teachers--even when we were overseas, DODDS always needed special education teachers, so she always got quick extended contracts.

But for most spouses, a PCS means three to six months without a job--likely no job at all overseas. That means married junior enlisted really need to budget for the military paycheck alone or they're heading for hard times.
I averaged being deployed 7 months of every year. No mail, no phone, no contact with home. That is simply normal life. If she can not handle being alone most of the year, then she will not cut it as a Navy wife.

Every boat I served on had very high divorce rates.

I can see where it would be far easier if you had access to mail every week.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:19 PM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
There is no one size fits all but usually there are other options besides going into debt. You could work during high school and save some money from odd jobs, or you could just live close to base and bike to base and take a cab to the grocery store while saving for a car, or you could carpool. I understand that each of these may be impractical for most; however, what are the odds that you really have no choice but to go into debt? I think people aren't trying hard enough, but maybe I'm wrong.
It would be tight, but a married E-4 who either had no children or wife stayed home (avoiding childcare expenses) can buy a decent used compact car and do well. They will have to live on base and make maximum use of base facilities...use all their military benefits and facilities to maximum advantage and stay away from any more debt. But it shouldn't leave them dead broke.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It would be tight, but a married E-4 who either had no children or wife stayed home (avoiding childcare expenses) can buy a decent used compact car and do well. They will have to live on base and make maximum use of base facilities...use all their military benefits and facilities to maximum advantage and stay away from any more debt. But it shouldn't leave them dead broke.
Most people just entering the military are single though, right?

Old 08-08-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Most people just entering the military are single though, right?
Have you looked at how high they've raised the enlistment age?

But as has been mentioned earlier, young people can be deceived by how much "free money" they seem to have as singles in the military. It's easy to get married, cheap to have babies...then get whammied by expenses.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:16 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,793,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It is nice that USAA finally decided to cater to US Servicemembers. During my career I went to them twice and was turned away both times. Back then they only dealt with officers.
It's still two different banks, the o side and the e side.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Most Jr enlisted live in dorms/barracks on base, and live relatively close to the PX, comissary mess hall/galley/dfac.

Most married jr enlisted are going to live on base, or clear across town, there are few bases where outside the gates is anywhere you'd want to be for any amount of time.

It does sadden me to see places like USA Discounters, Buy Here Pay Here lots, and others prey on service members, and you are right that they shouldn't get into the debt they do get into, but of all the things they shouldn't have, I cannot say that a car isn't one of them. If all the other finances are just slightly budgeted there is plenty of room for a modest car.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
How did you not pay federal income taxes?
Earned income tax credit, I referenced it in the OP. For a family of three E6 and below (also O1), it's unlikely that federal income tax with holdings won't just be returned in full, but that more money will be paid out than with held (for the example in the op I did a full tax return with std deductions).

Old 08-08-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Earned income tax credit, I referenced it in the OP. For a family of three E6 and below (also O1), it's unlikely that federal income tax with holdings won't just be returned in full, but that more money will be paid out than with held (for the example in the op I did a full tax return with std deductions).
Drat, I got promoted faster than I had children.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Most Jr enlisted live in dorms/barracks on base, and live relatively close to the PX, comissary mess hall/galley/dfac.

Most married jr enlisted are going to live on base, or clear across town, there are few bases where outside the gates is anywhere you'd want to be for any amount of time.

It does sadden me to see places like USA Discounters, Buy Here Pay Here lots, and others prey on service members, and you are right that they shouldn't get into the debt they do get into, but of all the things they shouldn't have, I cannot say that a car isn't one of them. If all the other finances are just slightly budgeted there is plenty of room for a modest car.
Yes, if they pay cash for it. It's really not that hard, you just have to be willing to defer gratification a bit. Of course if you think your wants are needs, you'll end up broke easily, whether you are in the military or a civilian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues