Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 02:01 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You can't spend the money both on entertainment and on a car. Each dollar can only be spent once. If your budget has them spend it on entertainment, then they won't have it later on. If they get a car loan after following your budget for a few years because they blew their disposable money on entertainment, they have essentially gone into debt to pay for the entertainment. And they have no investment to show for it. It's irrelevant what return an investment can earn if you don't have any investment to begin with!
You might want to take a second look, they are making another 8k, BEYOND the 400/month or $4800 a year they have earmarked for entertainment. So no dollar is being spent twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 02:02 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Seriously, we get you don't like debt but stop with the generalizations.

Taking out a loan you can afford is not a bad thing. People with such an adverse view towards debt are just as bad as the ones who overextend themselves.

I teach my junior guys to be responsible which means buying a normal, well priced, reliable car with a fair interest rate as well as saving for retirement and separation (if they're getting out). Blowing a good portion of your savings on a car because you don't want a loan is irresponsible.
By assuming a cash buyer would spend too much of their savings, you are assuming they would be left with an insufficient emergency fund. Perhaps I generalize, but so do you.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
You might want to take a second look, they are making another 8k, BEYOND the 400/month or $4800 a year they have earmarked for entertainment. So no dollar is being spent twice.
My mistake!

Old 08-08-2014, 02:05 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
By assuming a cash buyer would spend too much of their savings, you are assuming they would be left with an insufficient emergency fund. Perhaps I generalize, but so do you.
How much do you think junior enlisted make? After a year, they would probably be able to save about 10k. The ones who live in base housing make at most around 1k a pay check.

What do you suggest? They walk around for a year until they can buy a car?

An enlisted family will need a car. It's not possible to live without one. Implying that they are irresponsible if they take on a small payment is just plain ignorant.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:07 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Seriously, we get you don't like debt but stop with the generalizations.

Taking out a loan you can afford is not a bad thing. People with such an adverse view towards debt are just as bad as the ones who overextend themselves.

I teach my junior guys to be responsible which means buying a normal, well priced, reliable car with a fair interest rate as well as saving for retirement and separation (if they're getting out). Blowing a good portion of your savings on a car because you don't want a loan is irresponsible.
Exactly, if you blow all your cash on a $20k, and then run into an issue where you need $5/10/15/20k, you are SOL. Few reputable places will loan that kind of cash out, and the few that do will charge well in excess of 0.9%apr (my first/last signature loan was 8.9%).

A paid off 20k car with no assets in the bank is dangerous. Even Dave Ramsey recommends having access to liquid-able asset reserves before getting aggressive with debt elimination.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:17 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Exactly, if you blow all your cash on a $20k, and then run into an issue where you need $5/10/15/20k, you are SOL. Few reputable places will loan that kind of cash out, and the few that do will charge well in excess of 0.9%apr (my first/last signature loan was 8.9%).

A paid off 20k car with no assets in the bank is dangerous. Even Dave Ramsey recommends having access to liquid-able asset reserves before getting aggressive with debt elimination.
I spent 26 years in the military, I've been retired another 15 years, and I've yet to spend more than 12K on a car...and I went from a high of $9k to $12k only last year.

The advice that young troop needs is, "Don't spend $20K on a car."

Old 08-08-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I spent 26 years in the military, I've been retired another 15 years, and I've yet to spend more than 12K on a car...and I went from a high of $9k to $12k only last year.

The advice that young troop needs is, "Don't spend $20K on a car."
^^^^ This.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:23 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
I mentioned it in another thread you are on, borrowing for a car is not a bad idea. I can buy a minivan from just about every manufacture out there for 0.9% for 60 months, and I can get 1.49% from USAA, ...
It is nice that USAA finally decided to cater to US Servicemembers. During my career I went to them twice and was turned away both times. Back then they only dealt with officers.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:25 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
None? How did you avoid it?
California only charges income taxes when you stationed inside California. So long as you stay away, they do not charge you taxes.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:28 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
California only charges income taxes when you stationed inside California. So long as you stay away, they do not charge you taxes.
How did you not pay federal income taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues