Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 07:26 PM

280 posts, read 307,728 times

Advertisements

Out of the four which ones really are the best to study the Asvab with?

Right now I'm thinking about these two sources.

ASVAB AFQT For Dummies ASVAB AFQT For Dummies: Rod Powers: 9781118775172: Amazon.com: Books

Asvaber.com Ultimate ASVAB Practice Center

I wanted to get the two below as well. However, do you think this is overkill. Would the top two be enough or should I go on ahead and get all four? I mean there is no such thing as studying to much is there?

McGraw-Hill's ASVAB, 3rd Edition: Strategies + 4 Practice Tests McGraw-Hill's ASVAB, 3rd Edition: Strategies + 4 Practice Tests: Dr. Janet Wall: 9780071809207: Amazon.com: Books

ASVAB For Dummies: Premier PLUS ASVAB For Dummies, Premier Plus (with Free Online Practice Tests): Rod Powers: 9781118525531: Amazon.com: Books

I'm horrible in math so I definitely want the study materials that will help with that the most.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 07:49 PM

109 posts, read 287,416 times
When my son was studying for the ASVAB, he went to our local library and checked out five different study guides for free. I remember he had the Dummies version, Kaplan, McGraw-Hill, Princeton Review - and one other. Save yourself some money, and check out what's available at your library.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:32 PM

807 posts, read 898,223 times
If you paid attention in all of your classes in high school and have some practical workshop knowledge on the side, you should do fine. It doesn't hurt to brush up anyway since that higher score may open options for you.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:40 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Unless you are struggling in school, I don't understand why anyone would study for the ASVAB. I, and everyone I knew who enlisted, just walked into the recruiter's office and took the test. Maybe things have changed. If you think you need to study, then study. Are there practice tests on line that you can take? If nothing else, perhaps you will go in feeling more confident about yourself if you do use some study guides.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:40 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I think studying and being prepared is always a good thing. You will do practice questions and you will see how the test is laid out. You have a certain length of time so why spend it figuring out and getting familiar with? I think you'll be more confident and sure of yourself. Also, you can retake the ASVAB if you're not satisfied with your results so why not try hard on the front end?

Old 10-09-2014, 02:36 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I think studying and being prepared is always a good thing. You will do practice questions and you will see how the test is laid out. You have a certain length of time so why spend it figuring out and getting familiar with? I think you'll be more confident and sure of yourself. Also, you can retake the ASVAB if you're not satisfied with your results so why not try hard on the front end?

Totally agree, the higher your score the better, more career choice. Nice post.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:56 PM

24 posts, read 12,762 times
I will suggest a good book named ASVAB Study Guide 2018-2019 and it is totally worth reading. It is a great book for achieving the target score that includes a quick overview, test-taking strategies, introduction, general science, arithmetic reasoning, word Knowledge, math knowledge, electronics information, auto, and shop information, assembling objects, practice questions, detailed answer explanations and much more.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:20 PM

483 posts, read 630,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henga View Post
I will suggest a good book named ASVAB Study Guide 2018-2019 and it is totally worth reading. It is a great book for achieving the target score that includes a quick overview, test-taking strategies, introduction, general science, arithmetic reasoning, word Knowledge, math knowledge, electronics information, auto, and shop information, assembling objects, practice questions, detailed answer explanations and much more.

Henga, this post is from over 4 years ago. Chances are he's taken the ASVAB, enlisted, served and separated.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:23 AM

857 posts, read 844,463 times
Never studied and did fine. Did your recruiter give you a 'pre-test?'

Old 02-01-2019, 08:29 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
The ASVAB was introduced in 1968.
Over 40 million examinees have taken the ASVAB since then.

The Official ASVAB site, a good place to start: Official Site of the ASVAB Testing Program

Major Thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/milit...scussions.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues