Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 09:22 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue Sky View Post
Interesting.

As an accompanying piece you might like to read this: Working with the French Army. An American soldiers view
Wow that was a very good read. Great to read something positive about the French Military, the Italians on the other hand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 03:09 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Having lived and studied in France for three years, this article doesn't surprise me that much. Like Britain, France is a much more martial country than other European nations like Germany or Austria. France's military is revered by most people in France. While the French government and people did oppose US involvement in the second Iraq War, they (correctly) saw it as a mistake based on sketchy data from the George W. Bush administration. But France totally supported intervention by George H.W. Bush in the FIRST Iraq war, when Saddam invaded Kuwait, and the French military were part of that international effort.

I really liked the part of the article where it says "Americans don't speak English" and have a "strong accent" -- but it's the French who have a very thick accent in English. Native speakers of English (Americans, Brits, Aussies) who work together understand each other's accent fine, even a "nonstandard" regional accent like that of Glasgow (Scotland), Darwin (Northern Territory, Australia), or Meridian (Mississippi, USA). French accents are nonnative and are hard for many English-speakers to comprehend -- especially given that the typical French soldier speaks halting English. A few American guys would probably ask the French guy to write his words down on paper.
They don't like other forms of the French language either. My dad speaks fluent Cajun French. Though they and my dad could communicate, they still didn't care for his French.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:09 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Europeans learn British English often including the slang which does not necessarily ensure that you can easily communicate with Americans. Even trying to ask something simple like, "Where is the truck?" becomes a bewildering exercise if both sides don't know truck and lorry mean the same thing.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:22 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
" Heavily built, fed at the earliest age with Gatorade, proteins and creatine- they are all heads and shoulders taller than us and their muscles remind us of Rambo"

Everytime I am in the airport and I see some GI's, I am always amazed and how much bigger these kids are than the soldiers of my era. In the 50's we would look like wimps compared to todays GI.
From the French writer's perspective it was probably even more pronounced because he was looking at infantrymen. For the first time in a long time in a long term conflict the basic infantryman was not a draftee but a double volunteer. He wanted infantry and many probably wished for Ranger also. Besides some artillery and tank crews being dismounted all of those troops he is seeing wanted it. They were not clerk typist forced into a replacement pool of late WWII or a Forest Gump, well he was a football star at Alabama Vietnam draftee who was forced in to fill the ranks

Old 02-06-2015, 12:54 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,578 times
How tall is the average American. Soldier. What about. The french?

Old 02-13-2015, 01:01 PM

61 posts, read 103,688 times
I was attached to the French Foreign Legion for the ground war portion of Desert Storm. They were quite the cast of characters, and I certainly got the feeling that they viewed themselves as expendable. They were treated very well and some of the better meals we had (fresh veggies and fruit) was with them. This was an armored unit, with the AMX-10 and support vehicles. They performed well, my home division was 3rd infantry division which was in Germany at the time and they were comparable to us in terms of training readiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues