Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 02:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,984,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"It was a very long time ago, January - March of 1984, but we actually did have 'hell week' (week five) during my Navy basic training. It just wasn't what you might think. Our hell week consisted of working in the mess hall (where I was assigned), along with other places, getting one or two hours of sleep if we were lucky, and it wasn't fun."

1984 wasn't a "very long time ago", but 1959 was.
Yes, we went through "Service Week" during boot camp in RTC San Diego, even way back then. Basic training isn't supposed to be "fun". It is meant to drive one almost (but not quite) to the breaking point. Usually, it does that quite well.
As for enlisting, be honest about any potential and/or actual problems. Honesty is always the best policy.
Actually, from my perspective 1984 was a long time ago. And I never said it was supposed to be fun. It didn't drive me to my breaking point but I was glad when it was over. Now, my company commanders on the other hand did their best to try to drive us to our breaking point. One had started out in the old Army Air Corps, and the little guy was tough as nails. I had a lot of admiration for him. Our other company commander, not so much. We started out with 83 men and ended up with 53 because of those two, along with some guys just not being able to get through it. You wouldn't think that would be the case with Navy basic training, but our cc's were 'unique'.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:11 PM

280 posts, read 307,624 times
My 2007 MRI came and it states-

Findings:

Muliplantar,multisequence imaging of the left shoulder was performed without contrast.

Findings:

AC joint is well maintained. Rotator Cuff is normal. Biceps tendon is normal in signal and position throughout and the capsulolabral complex is intact. No joint effusion is identified.

Along the superomedial aspect of the humeral head, there is serpiginous focus of low-signal abnormality present. There is adjacent bony edema noted. The findings are most consistent with avascular necrosis. There is also some signal abnormality associated with the physis of the greater tuberosity which may be related to an occult injury. The glenoid is well maintained.

Impression:

Signal abnormality present about the humeral head as detailed above. This is favored to represent avascular necrosis. There is no evidence of cortical collapse at this time. There may also had been injury to the greater tuberosity with some irregularity about the normal physis. There is no evidence of fracture or displacement of the epiphysis.

Do I have Avascular Necrosis though? The Mri summery never states outright that I do. Would it seriously take 8 years for the bone to disintegrate? Wouldn’t it already have happened if I had this disease?

Also Is chronic sinusitis disqualifying?

A 2007 CT scan says I have chronic sinusitis in my right maxillary. It was among my shoulder dislocation records.

I didn't even know I had chronic sinusitis then and as far as I know I don't have it now.

Do I send it in even though it has nothing to do with my shoulder?

Thanks

Old 07-14-2015, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Is he going in for Navy?

Can he get the scholarship back for Basketball? You can enlist in the military when you are older, you generally don't get scholarships for sports later in life.

What school? Full ride?

When I was in the Marines, I was told numerous times of people turning down scholarships to enlist...it's like telling people you have a girlfriend when you are in high school...but she lives in Canada.
His scholarships totaled 76,000.00 over 4 years and that didn't cover but half of the tuition of the school. He is in no way a D1 athlete and I never tried to indicate anything of the sort. (I'm guessing that's where you were headed with that comment.) Just that he was offered a chance to play ball and given scholarships that he turned down to join the Navy. He had planned to join the Navy all along and his Father had asked him to wait until after his Sr basketball season to see what happened. He could not see the sense in us going that far into debt for him to play ball a few more years when his heart was with the Navy anyhow. No at this point it would be too late for him this year. He has already missed all of the deadlines. I have no idea what next year would hold. Best guess if he sat around doing nothing for a year they would lose interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues