Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 03:34 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,861,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
If he is truly a deserter, it would not be the first time an American deserter will have gotten off the hook.
It would be something like the 8,000th time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 11:23 AM

17,657 posts, read 17,782,381 times
Who mails home personal items before attempting to walk to another nearby base? He had no intention of returning nor arriving at the other base.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:56 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,012,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodi90 View Post
That officer most likely came to his conclusion on Bowe's fate after getting legal "advice" from the white house. I'm a veteran and I know the military loves to punish their own.
There's one in every crowd.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:26 PM

952 posts, read 1,263,920 times
Well I think he deserves jail time. Look at the danger he put everyone in whether any soldiers were killed or not looking for him.Then the topper the White House exchanges 5 taliban or whatever they are extremists at Gitmo for him.Why question is why? What's so special about Bergdahl? Is his mother or father some sort of relative to Obama's mother is he family maybe?
The new Tom Hanks movie by Steven Spielberg about I believe the exchange for a russian spy and Gary Powers(think that's his name) opens this week end. This comes out while this whole Bergdahl trial is going on. Notice how that was one of ours for one of theirs. Wonder if the release date and the movie subject matter was subltely planned.A way of saying neither Spielberg and Hanks approve of what's happening here.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:29 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,861,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
Wonder if the release date and the movie subject matter was subltely planned.A way of saying neither Spielberg and Hanks approve of what's happening here.
Major movies are pitched and planned years in advance of release date. This movie was probably filmed--or at least well into pre-production--long before Bergdahl was even recovered.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:03 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,067,895 times
Quote:
Well I think he deserves jail time. Look at the danger he put everyone in whether any soldiers were killed or not looking for him.Then the topper the White House exchanges 5 taliban or whatever they are extremists at Gitmo for him.Why question is why? What's so special about Bergdahl? Is his mother or father some sort of relative to Obama's mother is he family maybe?
The new Tom Hanks movie by Steven Spielberg about I believe the exchange for a russian spy and Gary Powers(think that's his name) opens this week end. This comes out while this whole Bergdahl trial is going on. Notice how that was one of ours for one of theirs. Wonder if the release date and the movie subject matter was subltely planned.A way of saying neither Spielberg and Hanks approve of what's happening here.
OUCH! Ouch.....ouch.

I realize that when hasn't lived in the history being referenced that people are just names but OUCH!, that hurts to refer to Francis Gary Powers like that. (The U-2 incident was slightly before my time, but I do remember the day I read in the paper when he died.)

At any rate, if you want to know about that incident, the exchange, I suggest you read Powers' book "Operation Overflight". It's a rather interesting book even though I don't think I've read it in years.

It's off topic, but a little bit of humor for a moment.

At one point in the book during his interrogation after his capture, they are asking him about a black cloth they found in the wreckage, that he was suppose to give to the commander at his arrival base (Powers believed it was to cover the cameras). "This black cloth, it was to prove to the Commander that you were who you said you were?"--Interrogator
Powers, who was rather tired at that point, replied, "With that U-2 strapped to my back, I'm pretty sure he would know who in the hell I was.".

As far as the movie opening and the trial goes, I'd say that's just a coincidence.......although those who don't realize that prisoner exchanges have gone on for decades might think otherwise.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:40 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,663,207 times
Should be shot. And Jane Fonder.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:00 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,845,029 times
This forum is not to be used for political arguments. Use Politics and Other Controversies forum instead.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:19 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,666,886 times
Quote:
Then the topper the White House exchanges 5 taliban or whatever they are extremists at Gitmo for him.Why question is why? What's so special about Bergdahl? Is his mother or father some sort of relative to Obama's mother is he family maybe?
Huh?

First, you don't appear to even know who was exchanged for Bergdahl.

Second, no two negotiations are the same, and we don't leave our men and women behind, even when they have been ACCUSED of crimes.

Third, what does a completely unrelated movie have to do with this case?

Oh, and...

Quote:
Spielberg and his wife, actress Kate Capshaw Spielberg, gave $30,400 to the DNC. They also contributed $40,000 to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) and over $20,000 to other committees and candidates, including Harry Reid, California Sen. Barbara Boxer, and New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand.

Quote:
Politically, Hanks falls squarely in the Democrat/liberal camp, like the vast majority of his Hollywood counterparts. He’s stuck up for quite a few liberal causes like gay marriage and the environment, and has a large collection of electric and hybrid cars.

He even slandered his old church–The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) when they donated money to advance proposition 8 in California, effectively banning gay marriage.

However, he quickly rescinded his statement but fought fire with fire, contributing his star power to raising over $44 million to defeat proposition 8–which passed anyway.

Hanks backed Obama in 2008, posting a video on his Myspace page, explaining his position.

In 2012, Hanks forcefully said he would back Obama once again and, despite widespread opinion to the opposite effect, said Obama had exceeded his expectations, saying:

If you would have told me a few years ago that ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ would be repealed and about a billion jobs at General Motors and Chrysler would have been saved because the president was smart enough and strong enough and bold enough to do so, I would have said, ‘Wow. That’s a good president, I think I’ll vote for him again.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:01 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,845,029 times
November 3, 2017 / 4:12 AM /
U.S. Army's Bergdahl spared prison for deserting in Afghanistan
Greg Lacour

Entire Article At: U.S. Army's Bergdahl spared prison for deserting in Afghanistan | Reuters

Quote:
FORT BRAGG, N.C. (Reuters) - U.S. Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl on Friday was spared prison time for endangering fellow troops when he deserted his post in Afghanistan in 2009, but a military judge ordered he should be dishonorably discharged from the service.

In a military courtroom at Fort Bragg in North Carolina late Friday morning, Bergdahl trembled as he waited to hear his punishment.

Army Colonel Jeffery Nance delivered the sentence in a hearing that lasted just two minutes, and did not comment on his decision. He also recommended that the Hailey, Idaho, native be demoted to private and forfeit $10,000 in pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues