Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 10:13 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
She can probably get a waiver right now, we are actually struggling for applicants. I'm a recruiting supervisor, and I could get a 5 year old DUI with no injuries approved without an issue IF she were willing to take any job to get into the Air Force. That's are litmus test. Does she want to be an AIRMAN in the GREATEST Air Force on Earth? Then she has to agree to go in Open Mech, do fuels, or pest management, or any other job. That would be the condition to get the waiver. She needs to soul search and see if she's down with that to get in.

Yet I can't even be considered this FY for being a prior service Marine? I'm jealous.

Of course with my luck the AF would probably just stick me right back on V-22's, no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 11:08 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Yet I can't even be considered this FY for being a prior service Marine? I'm jealous.

Of course with my luck the AF would probably just stick me right back on V-22's, no thanks.

It was the same in the 70s. Being a former Marine was the kiss of death as far as the Air Force was concerned. Funny thing is, the Air National Guard didn't care what your military past was, as long as it was clean. There was no Marine Reserve in Alaska when I got out, so I spent almost 26 years wearing Air Force blue. Semper Fidelis.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:01 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
We're taking prior service like it's going out of style. If you have a decent RE Code, are otherwise qualified, any decent recruiter could get you into the Air Force. You may have a recruiter that isn't familiar with the program. You have to be willing to play ball, and pretty much do battlefield AFSCs or EOD, but we will take you!

Old 07-13-2016, 03:20 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
We're taking prior service like it's going out of style. If you have a decent RE Code, are otherwise qualified, any decent recruiter could get you into the Air Force. You may have a recruiter that isn't familiar with the program. You have to be willing to play ball, and pretty much do battlefield AFSCs or EOD, but we will take you!

In the 70s the Air Force flat out wouldn't take former Marines. We were considered too brutish. A fellow Marine was married to an airman, was in a critical MOS and had no negative history. They still refused to take him.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:57 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
I knew a young man (late 20's) who was trying to get into the Navy with two DUI's (most recent one was five years before). He was trying to get into a specialized program and the recruiter was sure he could get him a waiver but said it would take a long time. So, the recruiter was trying to talk him into just going in and taking his chances on a good program. Nope, he wouldn't consider anything but the program he wanted. So he sat on his duff and waited and waited and waited and then he got a THIRD DUI. Problem taken care of......hopefully he got into a "specialized program" in the correctional institution.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,112 times
Default Just got a waiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssgtsonso View Post
Hi there,

My girlfriend wants to go in the military. She'd like to join the AF (I'm enlisted), but she got a DUI about 5 years ago. She blew a .09 (.08 is the limit). I'm told that she should have gotten a lawyer and got it knocked down, but she opted to take responsibility and faced the consequences.

Fast forward five years and here we are. Is there anything she can do to increase her chances? She's never been in any other trouble and this is what she wants to do. Also, if the USAF turns her down, does anyone have any idea if she'd fare better with another service?

We haven't talked to a recruiter yet and she's focused on studying for the ASVAB. Thanks in advance.
She still might have a chance - a GOOD one of getting in and having the opportunity to fulfill her potential in The United States Air Force.
It is Spring 2018 and I am 33 and have been thinking about the air force since my entire life. In 2011 I received a DUI. Since it has been 6-7 years since, and I am already an old dude, my window for the level of success I want to achieve in the United States Air Force is definitely closing, but I knew I had to talk to a recruiter that would work with me first; and I just heard back and wanted to share with any folks wanting to serve our country.

DAY 1.
Found nearby recruiter office; went by while hyped in the mood but saw they were closed. There was a sign with the reciters phone number and email address. Took a picture and went home.
Wrote the recruiter a VERY short email, telling him I was a HS graduate with number of college hours with what areas I was interested in (administration and operations intel), that I have been studying for the ASVAB in my spare time, and asked when a good time would be to sit down and talk about what options I might have.

DAY 2.
After not getting a reply back, I went to airforce.com to try to "chat" with a recruiter, which apparently pushed my contact information to the same recruiter I tried to email.
Received a phone call/voice mail (while I was at work) from the recruiter, letting me know he called and was sending me a text with some questions. He then immediately texted me a questionnaire to see if I qualified; basic questions like are you a legal citizen, where were you born, age, highest level of education, etc, and also, Arrests/Convictions. At this point, we still were not exactly in conversation but rather he was sending me direct questions from my general inquiry.
After researching how good an idea it was to not mention your DUI (and it getting caught by someone else along the enlistment process), and with my window of opportunity closing, I knew that I had to answer "DUI 2011" . He immediately responded via that unfortunately the DUI disqualified me from joining BUT HE WAS GOING TO GIVE ME A WAIVER if I could produce a one page explanation on what happened and what I have done to make sure it never happens again. Prayers were becoming answered. He then asked me to get medical records and all necessary identification together and let him know when that was complete and we could set a date.

In other words, HE DIDNT SAY NO! Ive heard some myths about recruiters stringing you along if you have some kind of conviction, but it is this American's opinion that The United States Air Force does not have time to string people along or mislead the public. Further, The United States Air Force are some of the most honest people in The United States, with pride and intention and not without accountability.

As I continue to gather my necessary documents and set a date to speak with the recruiter or already knows my background, I just wanted to give my two cents in saying have the right, successful mind-set; get serious, and get excited. If this recruiter were to deny me, I would definitely seek the next closest recruiter without hesitation. If you are absolutely serious and mature about wanting to serve your country, a recruiter will want to help you succeed, as you are holding up their legacy and the legacy that has been held up since conception.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:58 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Quote:
She can probably get a waiver right now, we are actually struggling for applicants. I'm a recruiting supervisor, and I could get a 5 year old DUI with no injuries approved without an issue IF she were willing to take any job to get into the Air Force. That's are litmus test. Does she want to be an AIRMAN in the GREATEST Air Force on Earth? Then she has to agree to go in Open Mech, do fuels, or pest management, or any other job. That would be the condition to get the waiver. She needs to soul search and see if she's down with that to get in.
Recruiters need a bat signal, its such a quagmire to know when the military actually needs people or not. I don't think the military even knows when they need people or not.

How many times do you hear about the miltiary needing people and then someone goes down with good credentials and oh no sorry we dont need people lol.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
In the 70s the Air Force flat out wouldn't take former Marines. We were considered too brutish. A fellow Marine was married to an airman, was in a critical MOS and had no negative history. They still refused to take him.
LOL now the air force wants bean poles and you have to be as skinny as a rail to pass the AF PT test. I am not sure the US miltiary is combat ready to fight another first world power. I am sure they are relying on MAD.

I had the rare bennifit of working with a WW2 veteran in engineering, I still email him from time to time to make sure he is still alive (he is like 92 or 93 now). He was in the Army Air corp and he said they had great commradery and it was nothing like what he sees today.

The military no longer looks at the whole person, they hyper focus on the flavor of the week standard. Right now for the AF its looking like a bean pole.

From my limited experience and interaction with other military members there is something to be said for segregating people who tediously solder electronics, maintain radar equipment, etc from trigger pullers and people who scream and smash stuff for a living. I get that they are all in the military but I think it does everyone and the nation a dis-service when we try to pretend like air craft mechanics are the same thing as rangers/infantry.

When I was in the guard I wanted to fly and they kept threatening to make me infantry, I have skills that allow me to do more than that and I don't have the mentality to do infantry so what is the angle there, it just resulted in me requesting a discharge.

I know marines who are really cool but I can see the logic. When I was in the guard I was working with an ex marine and we took the trash out and I threw one towel in the new trash bag and he condescendingly said thats not how we do things in the marines, yet he could not figure out how to change the paper towels in the dispenser. Thats kind of an issue when your dealing with multi million dollar equipment, more worried about "boot shinyness" than actually knowing how to do stuff. It was a very very serious problem as far as I could tell.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I knew a young man (late 20's) who was trying to get into the Navy with two DUI's (most recent one was five years before). He was trying to get into a specialized program and the recruiter was sure he could get him a waiver but said it would take a long time. So, the recruiter was trying to talk him into just going in and taking his chances on a good program. Nope, he wouldn't consider anything but the program he wanted. So he sat on his duff and waited and waited and waited and then he got a THIRD DUI. Problem taken care of......hopefully he got into a "specialized program" in the correctional institution.
He should have just done what he wanted himself, gone to school etc. The military is so dysfunctional today its not even funny. I hope they are getting the super soliders that their standards require, with 350+ million people and a deliberately tanked economy they should have no issues.

Oh except everyone is "obese" for military standards lol, sucks to be them.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:56 AM

24,624 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarney View Post
I'm not surprised that the AF is having trouble getting people.

I separated a few months ago and things are very dire.

Too much PC nonsense and A LOT of suicides. My base was averaging one suicide a month.
I serve now and will be separating in a few years. The truth is that the military is not willing to make the changes to keep good people in, because those changes would require the military to become more of a civilian job. To make matters worse, American civilians (potential recruits) are only getting fatter and don’t qualify to serve their country.

So the military has to dig deep and decide how they will change to meet this challenge. Servicmemebers don’t care about bonuses either, they’re still getting out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues