Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 11:22 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
No LBTRS, that's not what I mean. People put their guard up around recruiters, and often think we have a hidden motive. Even if we're ALWAYS honest, people often assume we're not, because it's our job. I was simply trying to reassure her that I had no incentive to "recruit" her, and was a recruiter so I was knowledgeable, but I wasn't "recruiting" her.
I know what you meant, just giving you a hard time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 04:06 PM

910 posts, read 1,083,038 times
Hey OP,

Even if you don't have a say in the job, normally there will be 2 or 3 hardest to fill positions. They may allow you to choose between them, the only problem is you might not know what they are before hand to be able to research them.

I was an aviation mechanic in the Navy, and I loved it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I had plenty of women in my squadron who were in maintenance. It was a fun job. Sure it was hard work, and the parts were heavy as heck, and sometimes you were in a cramped space. But man, just being around the aircraft, learning what makes them tick, it was fun.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Oh yeah, "mechanics" has a LOT of variety.
Avionics can give you a follow-on job with the FAA without an A & P license.
POL is a job where you basically service aircraft with fuel (or off-load fuel) Not exactly mechanics but it's a good job. Clean. A little lab work...
If you can do math loadmaster is a great job and you'll get to fly around with the aircrew. AWESOME!
Whatever you end up with, do your best.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:23 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Oh yeah, "mechanics" has a LOT of variety.
Avionics can give you a follow-on job with the FAA without an A & P license.
POL is a job where you basically service aircraft with fuel (or off-load fuel) Not exactly mechanics but it's a good job. Clean. A little lab work...
If you can do math loadmaster is a great job and you'll get to fly around with the aircrew. AWESOME!
Whatever you end up with, do your best.
First of all, loadmaster is an aircrew position, not a "mechanic" position. And it's all computerized now. I can't remember the last time I did a Form F by hand. But you're right about the AWESOME part. But it's one of those career fields where the best days are behind us. You wouldn't believe the things that used to come up to Alaska in the back of a C-123 or C-130 at the end of a trip when there was no cargo manifested. I have over 5000 hours as a C-130 loadmaster and I got to go to about 45 different countries. Yeah, it was an AWESOME career.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:16 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
First of all, loadmaster is an aircrew position, not a "mechanic" position. And it's all computerized now. I can't remember the last time I did a Form F by hand. But you're right about the AWESOME part. But it's one of those career fields where the best days are behind us. You wouldn't believe the things that used to come up to Alaska in the back of a C-123 or C-130 at the end of a trip when there was no cargo manifested. I have over 5000 hours as a C-130 loadmaster and I got to go to about 45 different countries. Yeah, it was an AWESOME career.
Of course! But it's something to ask about. I was going through my mind all the jobs in the squadron I retired from. We had C-130s before I got there, then 141s then C5s now C17s. Memphis Air Guard.

If there are numbers involved AT ALL, it's math to me. My eyes glaze over and my brain comes to a screeching halt. Seriously. I'm not a math person. I have to figure out leave time by drawing a clock and using my fingers. I would NOT be a good loadmaster!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues