Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 06:27 PM

9 posts, read 29,105 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I just spoke with a recruiter about possibly enlisting in the USAF. I do have a degree but I have yet to obtain citizenship thus I am not able to apply to become an officer. Now, after speaking with her, my husband and I (currently in the USAF Reserve) have more unanswered questions that has left us confused.

1. From what I have read, I am limited to the types of jobs (due to me being a permanent resident) but I do have the option to pick which ones I want to enlist for. The recruiter I spoke with said that I pick from my top 10 options BUT once I am offered one, I CAN NOT say no/decline. So basically what she is saying is that once I go to MEPS, pass physical, and I get offered a job from my list, I can't back out of it EVENTHOUGH I have not signed a contract yet.

Is this true? Where is the disconnect because I was under the impression that I have the freedom to accept or decline the job if it is not the one that I want. Am I able to select the job I want and then have that in my contract so that I don't have to worry about the type of job I could "possibly" get while at BMT?

2. My husband is a Reservist and in the Aircraft Refueling dept. If I get stationed in a different base, will he be able to transfer over to wherever I am at? Are these types of situations always approved or does it depend on his job availability?

3. Since my husband is a Reservist, will he able to transfer overseas with me?

4. I would like to be stationed at McConnell Airforce base because that is where my husband currently works. She told me that there is a slim chance that it would happen. Is this true? How many people were able to get their first choice in terms of base location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 07:36 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
One way to check this kind of grey material is to contact a different recruiter, one who isn't connected to the first one. Ask him about this like you're a father wondering about his son's options.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:56 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecg View Post
Hello everyone, I just spoke with a recruiter about possibly enlisting in the USAF. I do have a degree but I have yet to obtain citizenship thus I am not able to apply to become an officer. Now, after speaking with her, my husband and I (currently in the USAF Reserve) have more unanswered questions that has left us confused.

1. From what I have read, I am limited to the types of jobs (due to me being a permanent resident) but I do have the option to pick which ones I want to enlist for. The recruiter I spoke with said that I pick from my top 10 options BUT once I am offered one, I CAN NOT say no/decline. So basically what she is saying is that once I go to MEPS, pass physical, and I get offered a job from my list, I can't back out of it EVENTHOUGH I have not signed a contract yet.

Is this true? Where is the disconnect because I was under the impression that I have the freedom to accept or decline the job if it is not the one that I want. Am I able to select the job I want and then have that in my contract so that I don't have to worry about the type of job I could "possibly" get while at BMT?

2. My husband is a Reservist and in the Aircraft Refueling dept. If I get stationed in a different base, will he be able to transfer over to wherever I am at? Are these types of situations always approved or does it depend on his job availability?

3. Since my husband is a Reservist, will he able to transfer overseas with me?

4. I would like to be stationed at McConnell Airforce base because that is where my husband currently works. She told me that there is a slim chance that it would happen. Is this true? How many people were able to get their first choice in terms of base location?
I'm an Air Force recruiting supervisor:
1. Correct- kind of. You can LEGALLY back out, but if you do, you're done. No second chances. Your application is discontinued and your permanent file is annotated as a cancellation. You take the OATH at MEPS. If you take the oath and back out, you're dishonorable and unreliable, and we won't spend money or time on you. You can back out, but if you do, you'll never join the Air Force. The other branches probably won't work with you either. You need to take the oath seriously.

There is no disconnect. You're being told UPFRONT that you must be willing to do ten jobs. We offer you a job, you take it or leave it. Your recruiter was upfront. It's like if you applied to work at Microsoft and you wanted to work in the accounts receivable department OR the returns department, you apply for both. They tell you that they only have an opening in the returns department and offer you the job... if you turn it down, do you think they just keep offering you endless jobs? No. That's how it works.

All applicants must be willing to enlist in an aptitude area. That will be one of your 10 job choices. It is possible you may not know your job until basic training. You're joining the AIR FORCE, to be an AIRMAN. You're not joining the job corps. Do you want to be in the World's Greatest Air Force, or don't you? You decide.

2. Almost always approved. If he 2F, Fuels? Or does he work on refueling Air Craft? If he works on refuelers, it will be hard as they have limited bases. If he works in 2F/Fuels, it will be easy. They can go almost anywhere.

3. Have him ask his unit. If there are reserve units, it wouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure if there are units.

4. Your recruiter was very honest. You should be thankful she didn't lie to get you to join. Kudos to her. YOU are going to be active duty. You will go with the Air Force needs you. Active takes precedence of reserves. He has to match to your assignment, not the other way around. The Air Force will not consider his assignment location at all, not even one iota, it won't matter or be considered when we decide where to station you. Very few people get their first choice, but some do.

Good luck!

Old 08-26-2016, 08:13 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Very few people get their first choice, but some do.
I think one sure fire way to get their duty station of choice is if they pick something really crappy like Ft. Polk, LA. LOL.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 29,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I'm an Air Force recruiting supervisor:
1. Correct- kind of. You can LEGALLY back out, but if you do, you're done. No second chances. Your application is discontinued and your permanent file is annotated as a cancellation. You take the OATH at MEPS. If you take the oath and back out, you're dishonorable and unreliable, and we won't spend money or time on you. You can back out, but if you do, you'll never join the Air Force. The other branches probably won't work with you either. You need to take the oath seriously.

There is no disconnect. You're being told UPFRONT that you must be willing to do ten jobs. We offer you a job, you take it or leave it. Your recruiter was upfront. It's like if you applied to work at Microsoft and you wanted to work in the accounts receivable department OR the returns department, you apply for both. They tell you that they only have an opening in the returns department and offer you the job... if you turn it down, do you think they just keep offering you endless jobs? No. That's how it works.

All applicants must be willing to enlist in an aptitude area. That will be one of your 10 job choices. It is possible you may not know your job until basic training. You're joining the AIR FORCE, to be an AIRMAN. You're not joining the job corps. Do you want to be in the World's Greatest Air Force, or don't you? You decide.

2. Almost always approved. If he 2F, Fuels? Or does he work on refueling Air Craft? If he works on refuelers, it will be hard as they have limited bases. If he works in 2F/Fuels, it will be easy. They can go almost anywhere.

3. Have him ask his unit. If there are reserve units, it wouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure if there are units.

4. Your recruiter was very honest. You should be thankful she didn't lie to get you to join. Kudos to her. YOU are going to be active duty. You will go with the Air Force needs you. Active takes precedence of reserves. He has to match to your assignment, not the other way around. The Air Force will not consider his assignment location at all, not even one iota, it won't matter or be considered when we decide where to station you. Very few people get their first choice, but some do.

Good luck!

His AFSC is 2A614 Aircraft Fuel systems Helper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues