Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 06:14 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallnstupid View Post
A recruiter in a different town?
Yes as royalabran says, try a different recruiter.

It wouldn't hurt to email or call around.

I'm certainly no expert, but I believe you need a waiver to overcome this DEP discharge if you want to try and go back in the Navy. So you'll need the help of a recruiter that is willing to work with you. As you allude to maybe your recruiter just doesn't want to deal with that for whatever reason.

Just keep trying other sources, and it wouldn't hurt to maybe look at other forums like military.com and ask in their Navy section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 06:28 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Quote:
I was recently handed a DEP Discharge (Definite) paper that was sent to the Commanding Officer of my district. I was arrested as a 15 year old for what I thought was trespassing at the time of enlistment. After my security clearance check it came back as bulglary and conspiracy to commit a crime because I went inside a school with a friend. I didnt take anything or break anything, we just did it for no particular reason. I was never charged or even went to court. I received informal probation and community service. The DA said I should be able to join and a retired company commander said I just need to get it sealed, which I am.

My recruiter seems to have given up on my case and told me Big Navy doesnt want to deal with it even though I came clean about everything at the time of enlisting, I just didnt know they cited me for 2 felonies because I was never charged or had a record. I know I can get a CNRC waiver but my recruiter cut me off from trying to help me out. Should I call the Company Commander and tell him my situation after I get my arrest sealed? I really want the do this and dont want to give up over a mistake I made when I was 15, 5 years ago.
Getting it sealed makes ZERO DIFFERENCE to the military. ZERO. Sealed doesn't take you back n time and mean it didn't happen.

The Commander probably won't even take your call. As far as the Navy is considered, you withheld information about having 2 felonies.

I'm sorry, try another branch because I think you're done with the Navy, but this time tell them the correct information.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:29 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Quote:
I just went to the DA and he said I was not charged for anything? He told me it was a deal with Probation.
Impossible. How could you have gotten probation for nothing? They can't give you probabtion for doing nothing, so they had to charge you.

Probably what happened is they said if you complete probation successfully, they'd drop the charges. The charges happened, and were then dropped.

If they didn't happen, how did the Navy find a record of them?

Probation= a consequence.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:24 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,000,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Probably what happened is they said if you complete probation successfully, they'd drop the charges. The charges happened, and were then dropped.
How can they "drop the charges" if they were already adjudicated?

--

Old 05-04-2017, 08:35 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
You were 15 at the time. As a minor who represented you? Do your parents have any recollection on this? Paperwork?

Old 05-04-2017, 09:30 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
I just went to the DA and he said I was not charged for anything? He told me it was a deal with Probation.
You need to get copies of the paperwork and not just rely on what you are being told. It seems like there is a disconnect between the two. You need to see what is actually a matter of record.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:34 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I can't see any way that you would have two felonies on your record but never have been charged with anything. Something is not ringing true, here.

If you were offered "a deal," you were charged with something. If there are no charges, there's nothing to make a deal regarding. You don't get probation without something that necessitates getting probation from.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:52 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
It was a diversion or differed deal. He did have charges, however, they made a deal that if he completed some requirements they would not have a conviction or charges in the court system. The problem is, the charges don't go away from the police or arrest records and those still show up when the military does a background check.

The court won't show him/her as have been charged by the prosecutor but there will be an arrest record for burglary which he can't get rid of under his "deal".

If he was issued conditions under a deal for those original charges the military looks at them just as if they were still there with a conviction.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:11 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Is the Navy that hard up for recruits that the..........."Navy Commanding Officer of recruiting"......would even bother with getting involved?

Old 05-04-2017, 11:45 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Is the Navy that hard up for recruits that the..........."Navy Commanding Officer of recruiting"......would even bother with getting involved?
The Commanding Officer would contact the Department Leading Chief for that area and let him/her deal with it. The outcome would be the same as he was already told by the recruiter.

The military does not want to fill their ranks with past felons or those who committed felonies and got out of them. I could not get a felony waiver for anyone when I was in Navy Recruiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues