Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 06:50 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
But....don’t you think Thunderbirds and Blue Angels help recruiting? Kid sees crew in sharp uniforms and it appeals to him/her, not realizing if THEY enlist they’re gonna be wearing non-tailored fatigues.
You don't think that some kid at the 4th of July event might be inspired and a seed planted that he someday wants to join the military? This event could create just as much recruiting opportunity as any other airshow or parade. I'm not sure your point...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Its not countless millions, and trump would not share what the cost of this show was.
There was more than just jets. Tanks should not be at the national mall (for many reasons).
Trump is making it about him.
Trump made it political by giving tickets to only the RNC.

If you actually thought you were right, then you would stick with the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, and still be able to make a good point.

Edit: Aren't you supposed to be a recruiter, or were? If you have EVER been in the military, you know that EVERY TIME a vehicle ESPECIALLY A JET, is taken out its PMCSed, and inspected after. Every part that goes on it has a price tag. Every 1/10th of a gallon of fuel is accounted for. Every repair is recorded.... You show an incredible amount of bias and b.s. trying to convince people, ESPECIALLY IN THE MILITARY SECTION; that there is "Countless" anything being spent.

The ANNUAL budget for the Thunderbirds is $35 MILLION dollars, a YEAR. That's just the Thunderbirds. There are also the Blue Angels, with a $40 Million a year budget, and multiple other smaller demo teams. Those figures are JUST for the teams, they do not cover the costs of the Air Shows. Air Shows cost insane amounts of money.

I promise you it is countless millions. I have worked on a few Air Show Committees. The bus budget for the last one I worked on was $120,000. That was JUST for the buses. The fuel budget was $500,000 for the plans and the smoke oil that makes the contrails. These are just two of the larger expenses that every Airshow has, but there are tons of additional smaller ones... security scanners for checkpoints, water, emergency responders salary and staging areas, mass casualty exercises that have to be conducted prior to the Air Show, static displays... pilots that bring in planes for a static display can charge up to $10,000 EACH to bring their birds in and park them at the air show, concessions, power, cell phone relays towers that have to be put up, ATMs that have to rented, $80,000 bills for port-a-potty rental and staging, renting 50+ golf cards for the security, medical, and show organizers to use on sight, cost of FAA waivers (required for low flying and to close air space), and SOOOO much more.

Just these costs alone mean taxpayers are pending well over $100 Million a year on Air Shows...

(Edit, I wrote my response misunderstanding yours. I thought you were saying it wasn't "countless" as in it wasn't that expensive. I didn't realize that you didn't realize it was a figure of speech... that I didn't literally mean no one tracked the budget)

Old 07-06-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Its not countless millions, and trump would not share what the cost of this show was.
There was more than just jets. Tanks should not be at the national mall (for many reasons).

If you actually thought you were right, then you would stick with the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, and still be able to make a good point.

Edit: Aren't you supposed to be a recruiter, or were? If you have EVER been in the military, you know that EVERY TIME a vehicle ESPECIALLY A JET, is taken out its PMCSed, and inspected after. Every part that goes on it has a price tag. Every 1/10th of a gallon of fuel is accounted for. Every repair is recorded.... You show an incredible amount of bias and b.s. trying to convince people, ESPECIALLY IN THE MILITARY SECTION; that there is "Countless" anything being spent.
You realize "countless" is a figure of speech to show that it is incredibly expensive, not to say that it is literally impossible to count the money?

I don't have the time or energy to go figure out the exact cost... and it probably is very hard to count. Not all of the funds come from the same pot of money. For example, medical supplies used on sight might come out of the medical facilities budget, and not be specifically counted in with Air Show cost tabulations. There is not a central source that will track these budgets and how they all converge. There are recruiting booths with very expensive virtual reality rides, but their use and transport to the show is not part of the Air Show budget, it is part of the recruiting budget. The information on how much it costs for that booth to move to an Air Show in South Dakota and pay local temp workers (they don't travel with full staffing) may not be an exact line item in the larger recruiting/Air Show budget. Some Air Shows are funded federally, and some by the state, meaning we'd have to check into each state's budget, and the Federal government. It would be no easy task to come up with an exact budget.

"Countless" is a figure of speech used to demonstrate that we already have a huge budget for these types of displays. The estimates are that Trump's show cost $2.5 Million... that's a drop in the bucket compared to the larger budget for demonstrations like this. I'm illustrating that there is no reason for outrage, because we already spend significantly more than that on this same type of thing throughout any normal year. There isn't outrage about the other demos/air shows/open houses that we do...so why this one?... oh, because it has Trump's name.

Last edited by dmarie123; 07-06-2019 at 08:15 PM..

Old 07-06-2019, 07:41 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
You don't think that some kid at the 4th of July event might be inspired and a seed planted that he someday wants to join the military? This event could create just as much recruiting opportunity as any other airshow or parade. I'm not sure your point...
Sorry if my post was unclear (I went back and re-read YOUR post I originally replied to, and I think I misinterpreted it). I DO believe Blue Angels and T-Birds are great recruiting tools. These could easily be the first exposure to the military for kids who live in areas without a military presence or don’t have family members in the service. So we are actually in total agreement.

BTW, I think you do a wonderful job here answering the seemingly endless recruiting questions.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:45 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Unfortunately, the Apache were defending their homes against invaders, I think most of my sympathy is on their side. They're usually depicted as bows and arrows against guns, although I'm sure they got guns on their side as soon as possible.

I do wish there was as much attention on progress and peace as there is on warfare in this country. I'm not sure what percentage of the economy depends on sales of war materials or who benefits from it, but it would be really lovely if they could switch to making money from peace instead of war.

As for the 4th of July celebration, I think Macy's had a much better presentation.
I meant the other Apache, (AH-64)

Old 07-06-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Sorry if my post was unclear (I went back and re-read YOUR post I originally replied to, and I think I misinterpreted it). I DO believe Blue Angels and T-Birds are great recruiting tools. These could easily be the first exposure to the military for kids who live in areas without a military presence or don’t have family members in the service. So we are actually in total agreement.

BTW, I think you do a wonderful job here answering the seemingly endless recruiting questions.
Thank you! Always great conversation!

I don't think these shows always have a direct recruiting outcome, but they do inspire the next generation and plant seeds. I've worked recruiting booths probably at 15 Air Shows, and I probably have only recruiting 1 person from those events. However, some people are inspired enough that it can lead to a future in the military, if not directly during the event.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:45 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Quote:
Thank you! Always great conversation!

I don't think these shows always have a direct recruiting outcome, but they do inspire the next generation and plant seeds. I've worked recruiting booths probably at 15 Air Shows, and I probably have only recruiting 1 person from those events. However, some people are inspired enough that it can lead to a future in the military, if not directly during the event.
I read once about some TV show back in the 50s which was set at the Naval Academy. It was on for two years or so. The Navy did follow-up research and found the show didn’t influence much interest right away, but by the time the kids who had watched it as 11 or 12 year olds were old enough to join, many cited the show as a definite factor in their interest. Guess you gotta plant the seed young.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:32 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I am retired U.S. Army.

I watched the Presidents entire 58 minute recorded video/speech at my leisure. I ignored all of the 100+ Internet comments.

It was a great speech...
This is exactly what I did. I recorded it because I had to work that day. I skipped ALL the commentary and just watched the president and cool fly overs. I thought it was pretty cool and was hoping people in the military and retired military liked it as well. It was great to NOT listen to commentary. Sometimes people should just watch events without agenda pushers chiming in.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:50 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
1. The pilots and planes need to fly sometimes anyway. The cost of them isn't some big deal. Planes can't just sit there and pilots wondering what it is like to fly.

2. Tanks can be at the Mall. Kids like to see them and so do adults. Not everyone has seen a tank in person.

3. Trump talked about a lot of people and the military. If you think this was all about him, you just don't like him and can't watch something without bias.

Moderator cut: Too political

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-14-2019 at 03:59 PM..

Old 07-07-2019, 11:13 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
You realize "countless" is a figure of speech to show that it is incredibly expensive, not to say that it is literally impossible to count the money?

I don't have the time or energy to go figure out the exact cost... and it probably is very hard to count. Not all of the funds come from the same pot of money. For example, medical supplies used on sight might come out of the medical facilities budget, and not be specifically counted in with Air Show cost tabulations. There is not a central source that will track these budgets and how they all converge. There are recruiting booths with very expensive virtual reality rides, but their use and transport to the show is not part of the Air Show budget, it is part of the recruiting budget. The information on how much it costs for that booth to move to an Air Show in South Dakota and pay local temp workers (they don't travel with full staffing) may not be an exact line item in the larger recruiting/Air Show budget. Some Air Shows are funded federally, and some by the state, meaning we'd have to check into each state's budget, and the Federal government. It would be no easy task to come up with an exact budget.

"Countless" is a figure of speech used to demonstrate that we already have a huge budget for these types of displays. The estimates are that Trump's show cost $2.5 Million... that's a drop in the bucket compared to the larger budget for demonstrations like this. I'm illustrating that there is no reason for outrage, because we already spend significantly more than that on this same type of thing throughout any normal year. There isn't outrage about the other demos/air shows/open houses that we do...so why this one?... oh, because it has Trump's name.
You also cannot count or quantify the benefits of those costs. Which may exceed the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues