Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 04:13 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times

Advertisements

I recently heard about this story, but can't find the story for the link. Evidently the vet received care at the Indianapolis VA Hospital, and then received the bill. He was treated for a ruptured aorta. The man receives a VA Disability check for $1200 a month. When he tried to pay $25 a month toward the debt. The VA wouldn't accept his payment, and took the entire check. Until the medical bill is paid he would not receive his monthly check. He then went to the local tv station for help. The station called the VA and the debt has been erased.

How can this happen? Why would the man receive such a bill in the first place? How could a call from the tv station get this debt erased. Otherwise this poor man would have had no income until the debt was paid.

I haven't been to a VA in a number of years. Do disabled vets now pay such ridiculous copays for care at the hospitals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 09:54 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Since there is no confirming news or statement about this, there is no way to know the facts if the store is true to begin with.

However, veterans in certain priority groups and/or with certain insurances and/or with certain income levels and.or treated for certain conditions can be billed for services. But, since this story has no factual validation, it could be the veteran got a $8 bill for flatulence medication and the store ran away from that point on.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:21 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
Veterans who go to the VA for treatment have to pay a co-pay based on their income. If they are below a certain level they don't have to pay anything. If this fellow was above the limit he would have had a copay.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:00 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I recently heard about this story, but can't find the story for the link. Evidently the vet received care at the Indianapolis VA Hospital, and then received the bill. He was treated for a ruptured aorta.
Entire Article Is At: https://www.wmar2news.com/news/natio...benefits-check

Portions of the article:
INDIANAPOLIS — A U.S. Army veteran came to WRTV for help after the government began garnishing his entire monthly benefit check. Carl Southerland served in the Army from 1986 through 1990. In 2013, his aorta ruptured. Since then, he's received health care at the Rodebush VA Medical Center in Indianapolis. "I thought because I was a veteran and I was seeking care at a veteran facility that it would be taken care of," Southerland said. In 2019, he received a bill from the VA for $8,353.81. Southerland says he wanted to take care of his debt and offered to pay $25 a month out of his monthly check — which is only $1,200 — but the government refused to take anything less than $201. He couldn't afford that payment and eventually the VA began taking his entire benefits check, leaving him with nothing left to pay for his rent or buy food. Southerland received a letter from the VA last week that changed everything. "I'm proud to say that I no longer owe anything.They wrote off the debt," Southerland said. The VA issued the following statement to WRTV: "The VA does not intend to cause any Veteran stress or discomfort, When a Veteran owes money for service at the VA The Treasury Department manages the collection. VA will work with any Veteran to see that any financial discomfort is relieved."

Another article regarding the issue: https://www.theindychannel.com/news/...benefits-check

Old 10-30-2019, 09:36 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Ah, the dreaded Treasury Offset Program at work! Yep if a bill goes past some deadline with no payment, it shift to Treasury to collect. But the TOP is basically a collection agency and they just collect until told to stop. Until the VA tells them to stop or forgo the debt, Treasury will pursue all means just like all other debts to the USA. The VA's waiver request for Veterans need to be made clear on all communications and not tucked away on the back page of Page 2 of the bill. It should also be standard practice to send the waiver forms to veterans when a veteran raises a financial hardship issue. The spend more time explaining why and how copays are determined and so little informing a veteran of their rights to a waiver.

So, to all Veterans, you have the right to request a waiver of any money the VA charges for health care. Also, you have the right to request the charges be voided if the services provided is related to a SCD.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:55 AM

774 posts, read 1,048,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Veterans who go to the VA for treatment have to pay a co-pay based on their income. If they are below a certain level they don't have to pay anything. If this fellow was above the limit he would have had a copay.
If the treatment is for any service connected conditions there is no co-pay regardless of their income level.

I had surgery on my knee (service connected) and for some reason they billed me for one of the medications I received. I contacted them and once confirmed that it was SC, the charges were dropped.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the link to the story. I guess its another case of. Thanks for your service but.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link to the story. I guess its another case of. Thanks for your service but.
Over 20+ years after be left the military (1986 to 1990) his aorta ruptured (In 2013) and his bill for services at the Veterans Administration services was $8,353.81.

In 2019, he received a bill from the VA for $8,353.81. He offered to pay $25 a month on the debt but the government refused to take anything less than $201....

In the end Southerland received a letter from the VA that changed everything, the entire debt was written off...

"I'm proud to say that I no longer owe anything.They wrote off the debt," Southerland said.

It's not another "Thanks for your service but"...

Old 10-31-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Over 20+ years after be left the military (1986 to 1990) his aorta ruptured (In 2013) and his bill for services at the Veterans Administration services was $8,353.81.

In 2019, he received a bill from the VA for $8,353.81. He offered to pay $25 a month on the debt but the government refused to take anything less than $201....

In the end Southerland received a letter from the VA that changed everything, the entire debt was written off...

"I'm proud to say that I no longer owe anything.They wrote off the debt," Southerland said.

It's not another "Thanks for your service but"...
Actually it was a but. The only reason the VA wrote the debt off, was the media got involved. Otherwise he would have been stuck with that bill. Many Veterans would not have gone to the media, Im glad this guy knew he needed help, and this might work. Thankfully the local tv station was able to take care of this.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Actually it was a but. The only reason the VA wrote the debt off, was the media got involved. Otherwise he would have been stuck with that bill. Many Veterans would not have gone to the media, Im glad this guy knew he needed help, and this might work. Thankfully the local tv station was able to take care of this.
I do not believe that the entire event has been told...

And you believe the Veterans Administration should pay all veterans medical bills? It does not work that way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues