Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 07:26 AM

24,663 posts, read 11,001,272 times

Advertisements

I do not see anything about the injury being service related and the garnished pay being his sole income.

Can someone please explain the statement that copay is income based? I am familiar with no copay under a certain income level. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 08:38 AM

13,135 posts, read 21,055,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I do not see anything about the injury being service related and the garnished pay being his sole income.

Can someone please explain the statement that copay is income based? I am familiar with no copay under a certain income level. Thank you.
This will explain the new 2020 VA healthcare cost:
VA Cost of Care

This is the 2020 co-pay rates:
VA Copay Rates 2020

Note that the Priority Group rating pretty much leaves the bulk of those with service related issues out of the co-pay arena and those in the copay arena pretty much have money and nothing wrong with them from their service days.

Now that doesn't mean the rest of us aren't paying into the VA, just we do it through our private health insurance. I'm in Group 1 but the VA will still bill my private insurance for any care not service related.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:32 PM

24,663 posts, read 11,001,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
This will explain the new 2020 VA healthcare cost:
VA Cost of Care

This is the 2020 co-pay rates:
VA Copay Rates 2020

Note that the Priority Group rating pretty much leaves the bulk of those with service related issues out of the co-pay arena and those in the copay arena pretty much have money and nothing wrong with them from their service days.

Now that doesn't mean the rest of us aren't paying into the VA, just we do it through our private health insurance. I'm in Group 1 but the VA will still bill my private insurance for any care not service related.

Thank you!

Old 02-06-2020, 06:51 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,046,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Wish there was a class in how to be the squeaky wheel. My husband has an 80% disability, soon to be determined 100%, and he is in a care facility for a condition related to his service connected disability. I pay $7K a month for his care and the wait list for admission to the appropriate care unit at the VA home is two years. If he lives that long, we will be impoverished by his care expenses. He is not eligible for A&A because his active duty service was in peacetime.

How do I make the right amount of noise to get some help before we're destroyed financially?
I don't know enough from your post to address your specific issue, I offer this as an attempt to help:

Aid and Attendance is either a Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) or Pension (SMP). It has nothing to do with wartime service--wartime service is linked to eligibility for Non-SC Pension and Survivor Pension--not Disability Compensation. If your husband is receiving VA compensation, he is eligible for A&A SMC if one or more of his SC disabilities require aid and attendance of another person. It is rare, not impossible, for a veteran rated below 100% to receive A&A--guidelines are in the M21-1 for raters, but it is rarely granted below 100%.

If your husband is receiving a VA pension, his eligibility for A&A SMP is already established in the grant of the pension, because wartime service would already be conceded in a pension award. A grant of SMP for A&A results in raising the Max Allowable Pension Rate (MAPR), which means a greater pension payment.

Pension is income and asset based; compensation is not. VA assigns non-SC ratings to disabilities for pension purposes, but those ratings are not SC. A veteran can have both NSC and SC disability ratings. The VA pays the higher benefit if the veteran has been granted both comp and pension benefits.

The most common mistakes made on completing the A&A form for SMC is the doctor listing disabilities that are not SC or leaving the diagnosis block empty.

I do not work for the VA.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:07 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,015,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Thanks for the link to the story. I guess its another case of. Thanks for your service but.
This is a tad too close to yellow journalism.

In any news article there is supposed to be the writer and an editor. And for TV a director.

The "facts" in this piece are all mixed up.

So no one should jump to any conclusion about veterans or the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Shame on that local TV station for not getting ALL of the story and mixing it all up.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:53 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,555,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
I don't know enough from your post to address your specific issue, I offer this as an attempt to help:

Aid and Attendance is either a Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) or Pension (SMP). It has nothing to do with wartime service--wartime service is linked to eligibility for Non-SC Pension and Survivor Pension--not Disability Compensation. If your husband is receiving VA compensation, he is eligible for A&A SMC if one or more of his SC disabilities require aid and attendance of another person. It is rare, not impossible, for a veteran rated below 100% to receive A&A--guidelines are in the M21-1 for raters, but it is rarely granted below 100%.

If your husband is receiving a VA pension, his eligibility for A&A SMP is already established in the grant of the pension, because wartime service would already be conceded in a pension award. A grant of SMP for A&A results in raising the Max Allowable Pension Rate (MAPR), which means a greater pension payment.

Pension is income and asset based; compensation is not. VA assigns non-SC ratings to disabilities for pension purposes, but those ratings are not SC. A veteran can have both NSC and SC disability ratings. The VA pays the higher benefit if the veteran has been granted both comp and pension benefits.

The most common mistakes made on completing the A&A form for SMC is the doctor listing disabilities that are not SC or leaving the diagnosis block empty.

I do not work for the VA.

Thanks for this explanation. This is all so overwhelming. My husband always took care of all of this and I never had to until he had such a rapid decline in his cognitive function, this fall. When the stress of 24/7 caregiving lifts, I'm sure I'll find this all easier to understand. I'm sure that making this information easier for dumb wives to understand is not a huge priority! LOL!

Thank you for serving.

Last edited by vkhmini; 02-06-2020 at 08:12 AM..

Old 02-06-2020, 09:40 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,026,612 times
Quote:
Thanks for this explanation. This is all so overwhelming. My husband always took care of all of this and I never had to until he had such a rapid decline in his cognitive function, this fall. When the stress of 24/7 caregiving lifts, I'm sure I'll find this all easier to understand. I'm sure that making this information easier for dumb wives to understand is not a huge priority! LOL!

Thank you for serving.
Your not dumb ma’m. Just not totally informed. The VA like any government agency is difficult at best. I’m a disabled veteran 70 years old and it’s hard for me to navigate through it all. Best to you and your husband.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:10 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,555,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Your not dumb ma’m. Just not totally informed. The VA like any government agency is difficult at best. I’m a disabled veteran 70 years old and it’s hard for me to navigate through it all. Best to you and your husband.

Thanks for your well wishes and I wish you the best in dealing with your disability. And thanks to everyone on this forum who has directed me towards the information I need. It takes a while to get used to the vagaries of the system but I'll get it.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:32 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,046,057 times
Quote:

Thank you for serving.
I doubt you are a "dumb" wife, and all the work you are doing gives us hope that someone we love will stand up for us when we cannot fight our battles alone anymore. So I say THANK YOU for taking care of your veteran.

The paperwork and supporting documentation can seem daunting, but a VSO worth their salt knows how to navigate the claim process and educate the claimant along the way. Aid and Attendance is probably the most misunderstood benefit, and unfortunately, the source of much frustration for veterans and families trying to access VA benefits.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:20 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,026,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
I doubt you are a "dumb" wife, and all the work you are doing gives us hope that someone we love will stand up for us when we cannot fight our battles alone anymore. So I say THANK YOU for taking care of your veteran.

The paperwork and supporting documentation can seem daunting, but a VSO worth their salt knows how to navigate the claim process and educate the claimant along the way. Aid and Attendance is probably the most misunderstood benefit, and unfortunately, the source of much frustration for veterans and families trying to access VA benefits.
This is VERY key to a claim being done properly...……." A VSO WORTH THEIR SALT" you may have to feel out more than one to handle your case aggressively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues