Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 09:59 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
WRM20 what rock have you been living under?

https://herald-review.com/opinion/co...rom%20%251%24s
Written by some dweeb who lives on Decatur. Not an actual researched piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 09:28 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Written by some dweeb who lives on Decatur. Not an actual researched piece.
Are you usually so prejudiced against people living in Georgia? Or is this specifically focused on one zip code alone?

Instead of attacking the author of the article, did you have some evidence against any of the points raised in the article?

Old 11-25-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Are you usually so prejudiced against people living in Georgia? Or is this specifically focused on one zip code alone?

Instead of attacking the author of the article, did you have some evidence against any of the points raised in the article?
It was an opinion piece. It's someone's opinion. I have my opinion, which is Trump is the worst President in my lifetime, the dweeb who wrote the article has his opinion, probably as the result of an opium dream, since it doesn't match the reality I've observed for the last 4 years. I voted Republican 90% of the time over the last 40+ years. This year, I voted for one Republican in a local race, all due to Trump and his antics, which included making fun of dead and wounded soldiers as losers, making fun of John McCain as a loser for getting shot down, etc.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:36 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
There are the wounded, enemy soldiers who are horribly burned but still alive. These wounded have to be treated. Now imagine you’re the doctor or medic trying to deal with that in a war zone...there is your answer.
I imagine the immediate treatment would be a bayonet to the chest.

We did not stop using flame throwers to benefit medical personnel.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:08 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
It was an opinion piece. It's someone's opinion. I have my opinion, which is Trump is the worst President in my lifetime, the dweeb who wrote the article has his opinion, probably as the result of an opium dream, since it doesn't match the reality I've observed for the last 4 years. I voted Republican 90% of the time over the last 40+ years. This year, I voted for one Republican in a local race, all due to Trump and his antics, which included making fun of dead and wounded soldiers as losers, making fun of John McCain as a loser for getting shot down, etc.
So you are still throwing insults at the author.

The article provides many good points. Is there any specific point that you wish to dispute?

Old 11-25-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
So you are still throwing insults at the author.

The article provides many good points. Is there any specific point that you wish to dispute?
Why would I dispute an opium induced opinion piece? It's opinion. All wrong, but still just opinion.

All of the comments on healthcare and Covid are just plain wrong. I have no respect for anyone who writes this:

In response to China’s efforts to spread COVID-19, not in China, but worldwide, China citizens were stopped from entering the USA. it is estimated that there would have been death numbers in the millions.

or this steaming pile of idiocy. The lack of judges was due to the Republican Senate refusing to approve nominations of new judges

Given the lack of judges left by Obama/Biden, more circuit court judges have been confirmed than any other new administration.

I am opposed to Trump's rollback of environmental regulations. I work in the oil industry, and am opposed to uncontrolled flaring of natural gas. I am also opposed to coal fired power plants pouring tons of mercury into the environment and to allowing coal mining companies to slice the tops off of mountains by shoving the dirt into valleys and waterways.

Fracking is not economically sustainable, and will die of its own weight. No one makes money on fracking, trust me on this.

The move of the US Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem was beyond stupid, and done solely to annoy Muslims.

The tax cuts were poorly designed, and benefitted the rich far more than was necessary. The only change should have been to increase the standard deduction.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:02 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
So, it's okay to shoot hot lead into someone, mangling their guts and horribly mutilating them if not outright killing them.

But it's not okay to fry them to a crisp, because...?
If I REALLY had to choose execution by rifle vs. flamethrower, I'd go with the former. At the end of the day, there aren't really any pleasant ways to kill a man. At least, not in combat. And yes, despite that we are literally at war with the places we deploy, we do outlaw weapons that are deemed to be too cruel. That's why many chemical weapons are banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Flamethrowers are excellent weapons for flushing out troops dug into tunnels at close range.

Do you see a lot of need for U.S. forces to flush out dug-in troops at close range these days?

I agree that if we ever again have to invade Europe against a foe that has had years to t fixed reinforced positions, and if our ability to deploy guided weapons have magically disappeared, flamethrowers might then be useful.
And even then, our adversaries were wising up. For example, Japan designed bunkers where the tunnels had pockets of space built in. If flame throwers were fired into there, those empty spaces would take in the flames, keeping the rest of it from turning loose corner and going deeper into the tunnels.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:23 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Let's bear in mind that in Aliens (the second movie in the Alien franchise, staring Sigourney Weaver, the Marines used flamethrowers against the aliens. Yes, even 100 years from now, the lowly flamethrower is still an appropriate weapon to use against the most dangerous creature in the known universe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You know that movie was science fiction, right?
It worked in the Alien franchise, against them aliens because they were in close quarters (tunnels, hallways, corridors), and because it was noted they were quite vulnerable to fire. Plus, flamethrowers were excellent in taking out a chamber full of alien eggs. In today's combat environment (what the US military goes through), battle occurs on open battle fields, and urban areas (where gunmen are shooting at you from a 4th story balcony), and enemies have long range fire. As another poster commented, if we ever find a case where their use is appropriate (hell, maybe fighting actual aliens! ) then you can bet the military brass will give them another look.

As long as we've delved into sci-fi, taking cues from video games of the sci-fi genre, flamethrowers work there, but still, only if the situation warrants it...

1) In the first Halo game for Windows, multiplayer mode also had the flamethrower. However, same deal... this was excellent where enemies were confined to certain spaces. Most notably, a "capture the flag mode" (inside a manmade tunnel) where once the opposing team comes in, you can light them up with good results since they'll be congregated near there. Otherwise, even shotguns would be better

2) StarCraft and its sequel had Firebats as actual units on the Terran (aka human) side. They can't shoot air, and they were more vulnerable to ranged units, but they do have hp (hit points), so they don't die right away like combat in the real world. They typically had more armor and hp than their counterparts (for example, Marines were ranged units that can do anti-air).

Where they shined was vs. "swarmy compositions". Zerglings (space insects that run on hind legs and claw you when you get close. These were cheap to make, so you'd be outnumbered at least 4-to-1), and Zealots (from the high-tech Protoss race... they're humanoid, and rush in to hack and slash you with psi blades. They had high hp and shields too). Their flamethrowers do overlapping damage, so swarms of Zerlings and Zealots can be dispatched very efficiently. Not unlike shooting 25 enemy combatants with a rifle, vs. just bombing them with one salvo if they're clustered together.

Old 11-27-2020, 08:01 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:

I agreed with the author, however at the very bottom was this.

Copyright 2020 Herald & Review, 601 East William Street Decatur, IL

Old 11-27-2020, 10:39 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Why would I dispute an opium induced opinion piece? It's opinion. All wrong, but still just opinion.

All of the comments on healthcare and Covid are just plain wrong. I have no respect for anyone who writes this:

In response to China’s efforts to spread COVID-19, not in China, but worldwide, China citizens were stopped from entering the USA. it is estimated that there would have been death numbers in the millions.

or this steaming pile of idiocy. The lack of judges was due to the Republican Senate refusing to approve nominations of new judges

Given the lack of judges left by Obama/Biden, more circuit court judges have been confirmed than any other new administration.

I am opposed to Trump's rollback of environmental regulations. I work in the oil industry, and am opposed to uncontrolled flaring of natural gas. I am also opposed to coal fired power plants pouring tons of mercury into the environment and to allowing coal mining companies to slice the tops off of mountains by shoving the dirt into valleys and waterways.

Fracking is not economically sustainable, and will die of its own weight. No one makes money on fracking, trust me on this.
Sorry, I can't just trust you on this. How is it that Harold Hamm is worth $10 billion, if he didn't make money on fracking? And how did the U.S. come to be energy independent, in fact a net exporter of energy products, if fracking was so unsustainable? Remember that fracking got big during the Obama Administration, which was very opposed to fossil fuels and fracking, vetoed the pipelines, constantly sued Hamm and others, etc.

Quote:
The move of the US Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem was beyond stupid, and done solely to annoy Muslims.
Yes some long time diplomats and so-called experts made that claim, that it would inflame the Arabs and cause a war. But it didn't; on the contrary, it did not stop several major Arab states as well as Sudan (majority Muslim/Arab) from signing mutual recognition treaties with Israel, and it did not cause a Palestinian uprising. Now other countries are starting to recognize Jerusalem, and the Palestinians are starting to realize they have no choice but to negotiate.

Quote:
The tax cuts were poorly designed, and benefitted the rich far more than was necessary. The only change should have been to increase the standard deduction.
Which part was poorly designed? The income tax cut? The increased deductions? Millions of middle-income Americans did benefit from the cuts, both directly in reduced taxation and indirectly in that their employers had more income so could give out larger bonuses and pay raises.

And how did we get from flame throwers to taxation, anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues