Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 04:24 PM

300 posts, read 239,107 times

Advertisements

I made a friend through Facebook, who is in Yemen, with the Military. We have been friends for over a month, and he will be returning to the USA in two months. He asked me, if I could do him a favor. He stated that he is paid in Yemen money, and that he cannot get a bank in the USA that he can do business with until he returns home. He claims that he has no money to be able to buy anything there, and because he is in the frontline fighting, he is not allowed to leave the base.

All the money he has been paid through the Military, and he has been myriad of years with them, is in different countries currency. He wants me to say that I am his wife, and receive the money at my home, for him. He mentioned that the United Nations Department, will bring it to me directly to my home, and that all I have to do is accept it.

I have not given him my ultimate decision because I do not know much about Military Laws, or currency from other countries. Is that considered Money Laundering? Can I be arrested for it? How will that affect me directly with the Internal Revenue Service, in the USA, since my name, address, and telephone number will have to be provided before hand. I have never been involved with the Law in any way. I am a law-abiding citizen, and want to make sure, if what he wants me to do is legal, and if I can be prosecuted for it. Thank you for your help. And have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 04:49 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,023,369 times
Seriously?

Old 07-23-2021, 04:58 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,708,818 times
It’s a complete lie. Sorry, you aren’t the first and won’t be the last.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:29 PM

28,685 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Cancel that friendship. That's a total lie. I doubt he's in the military. I doubt he's American. I doubt he's even in Yemen.

A couple of facts: American soldiers everywhere are paid in US dollars. They are required to have American bank accounts where their pay is deposited electronically. They will be able to draw from their accounts in any location to spend on the military facility. If they have privileges to go off the military facility (not always possible) they will be able to change their money to local currency either on the military facility or in local money change facilities.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:34 PM

17,633 posts, read 17,723,504 times
Scam!

Old 07-23-2021, 05:36 PM

532 posts, read 447,486 times
Real military service members are paid by direct deposit.

Not sure if this fraud is just playing for fun here but probably they are setting up a scam by asking for your personal info.

Don't do it.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:40 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,534,852 times
Does this person have an email address that they use to communicate with you? There are several webpages that you can enter the email address to see if they are possibly being used by scammers.

https://www.spokeo.com/uncover-online-scammers

Old 07-23-2021, 06:24 PM

300 posts, read 239,107 times
Default Jasmine Basmati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Cancel that friendship. That's a total lie. I doubt he's in the military. I doubt he's American. I doubt he's even in Yemen.

A couple of facts: American soldiers everywhere are paid in US dollars. They are required to have American bank accounts where their pay is deposited electronically. They will be able to draw from their accounts in any location to spend on the military facility. If they have privileges to go off the military facility (not always possible) they will be able to change their money to local currency either on the military facility or in local money change facilities.
So what is your opinion of what he wants with me? Do you think he is trying to use me to launder his money?

Old 07-23-2021, 06:37 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,125,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
So what is your opinion of what he wants with me? Do you think he is trying to use me to launder his money?
My bet is he sends you a certified check and asks you to wire him the money minus a bonus for you!

Either way it's all BS and somehow or another it's a scam.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:14 PM
KCZ

4,682 posts, read 3,679,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post

He has no money. It's a scam to obtain yours. Undoubtedly he's related to a Nigerian prince too. Don't give him any personal information, unfriend him, and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues