Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 08:42 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times

Advertisements

Commander and Chief of the military .

Its a government of its own.

Best to consider the entirety then the exceptions.

Just as this country for the most part deserves protecting, so too with protecting the military personnel from complications and out breaks.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:06 AM

449 posts, read 283,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Also, out of the hundreds of people I know who received the vaccine, not a single person became ill.

People didn't get Gulf War Syndrome the day after entering the country either. Just because they didn't immediately become ill doesn't mean it's safe.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:31 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
People didn't get Gulf War Syndrome the day after entering the country either. Just because they didn't immediately become ill doesn't mean it's safe.
Chemicals may accumulate in the body, drugs or toxins that are repeatedly encountered have repeated effects. Viruses integrate themselves into body cells and replicate continuously.

With vaccines, it rather does. A vaccine is made up of simple fats and proteins that do not accumulate, nor do they integrate into body cells or replicate. The body does not let random fats and proteins hang around long--they are consumed, burned for energy, within days.

A vaccine is going to have its effect fairly quickly--within hours or a few days. We hope that the effect is the beneficial effect we want, and we hope that effect is long-lasting. But the effect of a vaccine, if it has any effect at all, is going to present itself within hours or days (even if we don't consciously notice it). After that, the body is going to burn it up. There won't be effects that don't occur for months or years because the vaccine will be long gone, which isn't the case with chemicals and viruses.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:05 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Follow the Money:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/28/covi...s-q2-2021.html

Old 08-01-2021, 08:33 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Is your position that we shouldn't be taking the vaccine because someone (Pfizer) is making a profit manufacturing it?

Old 08-01-2021, 09:11 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Default Boosters every 6 months for how long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
That article was telling in many ways.

Per the article, boosters will likely receive emergency authorization in August. Wait, a booster is now likely to be needed after we just got the vaccines less than 6 months ago? Oh, we need a booster because the waning efficacy of the original two shots AND a new variant has arrived on our doorstep.

There are over a dozen variants that have been identified and the list just keep growing.

https://www.disabled-world.com/healt...d-variants.php

Nobody believes there are other variants waiting to be released down the road but Phizer sure has a solid financial interest in selling boosters every 6 months and/or every time a new variant pops up. CDC has said repeatedly, and it’s in the article, that we don’t need boosters. Who is right? The salesman or the government?

Also, will covid variant vaccines, administered every 6 months, be free forever? Will we reach a point where the government says enough is enough and gets Madicare/Medicaid to start paying?

Old 08-01-2021, 09:19 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I believe the military vaccination rates are much higher than 50%. My unit is near 100%, and most other units on my base are about the same.

I doubt very seriously we are such an outlier compared to other bases.

Also, out of the hundreds of people I know who received the vaccine, not a single person became ill. There were a few who didn’t feel that great, but they didn’t miss any work.

As far as people playing the virus to get time off, unfortunately, there were some who did do that. Not many, but some. I’m a retired SNCO, and a non-supervisor contractor now, so that type of thing doesn’t concern me nowadays. I’m there to advise and work my programs, not to supervise. But if I was a still a SNCO and I suspected a subordinate of doing that, well, let me just say that there are ways to make someone wish they’d never even thought of doing that.

Anyway I write all this not because I’m a fan of the current administration (I certainly am not), but because I don’t see this as a big deal, and if Biden/Austin, etc. mandate the Covid vaccine, I’ll support that decision.
While I agree with the gist of your post, I'll just add that my experience on this end has been completely opposite of yours. For folks' second shot (either Pfizer or Moderna), the expectation from the commander (four star CCOM) was that a recuperation day was in order if you were not feeling well. On my team, alone, we are about 75% immunized, and all but a handful did not take a recuperation day after becoming ill following their second shot. All in all, they are glad to have been vaccinated.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:50 AM

10,902 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Nobody believes there are other variants waiting to be released:
As I understand it, variants are mutations of the original virus that develop in an unvaccinated population. They aren't "released", and wouldn't be happening if enough people were vaccinated.

Old 08-02-2021, 12:04 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
As I understand it, variants are mutations of the original virus that develop in an unvaccinated population. They aren't "released", and wouldn't be happening if enough people were vaccinated.
Agree. But when searching online for variants, apparently there is a crowd that thinks variants are being released and Snopes has even created a page to dispel this conspiracy.

Old 08-02-2021, 03:54 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
"Finding the smallpox to be spreading much and fearing that no precaution can prevent it from running through the whole of our army, I have determined that troops shall be inoculated. This expedient may be attended with some inconveniences and some disadvantages, but yet I trust in its consequences will have the most happy effects. Necessity not only authorizes but seems to require the measure, for should the disorder infect the army in the natural way and rage with its virulence we should have more to dread from it than from the sword of the enemy."

General George Washington, letter to John Hancock, President of the Continental Congress, February 5, 1777
This is nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues