Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 08:35 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Guess we needed another thread about covid vaccines than this one just a few steps down in this forum….

https://www.city-data.com/forum/mili...-vaccines.html

But that being said, and the military is now being instructed to vaccine. There will be tons of exemptions just there are many beard exemptions, and those are way more forms of religion that get approved for beards.
https://taskandpurpose.com/lifestyle...pagan-heather/

But why is Congress exempt from covid vaccines? There are more than 100 employees on the hill?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ate/ar-AAOiQvC
That is because they think they are special. Not being tongue in cheek either. Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I agree. My command has several seeking religious exemptions now. For this to work, they first have to talk to a chaplain, and those appointments are way backlogged.

But I'm dubious that folks will have much success with religious exemptions, especially if they submitted to other vaccinations both in and outside of the military. It's going to look silly claiming that your religious beliefs allowed you to get all other required vaccinations but this one.

As a 1SG that is my first question I would ask everyone that goes to make that claim in any unit I would have been in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 09:01 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
<snip>

But why is Congress exempt from covid vaccines? There are more than 100 employees on the hill?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ate/ar-AAOiQvC
My apologies if this is not a sincere question. There are three branches of government. The President leads the executive branch, Congress is in charge of the legislative branch, and the Judicial branch is in charge of the judiciary, i.e. Federal Courts. Most of the time, each is required to stay in their own lane.
IOW, the President does not have the authority to order Congress to get vaccinated.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:35 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
My apologies if this is not a sincere question. There are three branches of government. The President leads the executive branch, Congress is in charge of the legislative branch, and the Judicial branch is in charge of the judiciary, i.e. Federal Courts. Most of the time, each is required to stay in their own lane.
IOW, the President does not have the authority to order Congress to get vaccinated.
Fascinating that the President feels compelled to believe his “authority” to use a 1970 administrative law (osha law) as the basis to compel every business in the country to require vaccinations but somehow stays outside the purview of Congress. Utterly amazing. This is the type of argument that would be in the courts as selective enforcement, and it wouldn’t work.

What better way to embolden the non vaccinated community than to tell them the most despised government offices (congress has the lowest approval rating of any public office) are exempt from the vaccine mandate. This issue will be the cornerstone of the 2022 elections. It’s just beginning.

Remember that just half of the Marines were vaccinated this summer. 50,000 Marines aren’t just go to roll over on this issue. Marines have the largest percentage of non vaccinated population.

Roughly 25% of the DOD civilian workforce has told their agency heads they will be walking if forced to vaccinate. Even vaccinated population believes the mandate goes too far. Time will tell but on the issue of mandatory vaccinations, the majority are not for universal vaccinations. Not when you ignore natural immunity.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:04 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Towards the latter half of my career, got to decide if wanted a flu vaccine or not.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:47 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
I was a Navy Corpsman for 22 years and administered thousands of immunizations to Marines and Sailors during my career. That included many Native Americans.
Viewed and heard verbal exchange. The corpsman asked the Native American. The answer was no.
All got the shots except the Native American.

Maybe ask some of your fellow corpsmen if still in contact. As to his reason. I don't have a clue. I did not ask. Maybe he did already have some sort of religious excemption. I never asked why. He did not get that particular shot that day.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:25 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Viewed and heard verbal exchange. The corpsman asked the Native American. The answer was no.
All got the shots except the Native American.

Maybe ask some of your fellow corpsmen if still in contact. As to his reason. I don't have a clue. I did not ask. Maybe he did already have some sort of religious excemption. I never asked why. He did not get that particular shot that day.
Might have to do with NA Sovereignty.

Tribal sovereignty refers to the right of American Indians and Alaska Natives to govern themselves. The U.S. Constitution recognizes Indian tribes as distinct governments and they have, with a few exceptions, the same powers as federal and state governments to regulate their internal affairs

Old 09-14-2021, 09:30 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
Might have to do with NA Sovereignty.

Tribal sovereignty refers to the right of American Indians and Alaska Natives to govern themselves. The U.S. Constitution recognizes Indian tribes as distinct governments and they have, with a few exceptions, the same powers as federal and state governments to regulate their internal affairs
It's important to note that tribal sovereignty exists only at the will and pleasure of Congress. Congress has erased tribal sovereignty in the past, but it is at a good point now. States have to treat tribes as separate sovereigns as long as Congress requires it, but Congress is free to regulate the tribes as they will based on the Indian Commerce Clause. I'd wager that some Indians were able to get exemptions based on congressional legislation on religious exemptions generally or based on legislation dealing with exemptions for Indians specifically. Tribes certainly aren't able to remove themselves from federal requirements of their own free will.

Interestingly, the Supreme Court has described the legal reality of tribal governments as "domestic dependent nations" to note that tribes remain subject to the authority of the federal government: https://www.paumatribe.com/governmen...nited%20States.

I am familiar with this stuff mainly from my legal studies and from my work with tribal governments in the past. It really is a fascinating subject.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:52 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,030 times
Quote:
Fascinating that the President feels compelled to believe his “authority” to use a 1970 administrative law (osha law) as the basis to compel every business in the country to require vaccinations but somehow stays outside the purview of Congress. Utterly amazing. This is the type of argument that would be in the courts as selective enforcement, and it wouldn’t work.

What better way to embolden the non vaccinated community than to tell them the most despised government offices (congress has the lowest approval rating of any public office) are exempt from the vaccine mandate. This issue will be the cornerstone of the 2022 elections. It’s just beginning.

Remember that just half of the Marines were vaccinated this summer. 50,000 Marines aren’t just go to roll over on this issue. Marines have the largest percentage of non vaccinated population.

Roughly 25% of the DOD civilian workforce has told their agency heads they will be walking if forced to vaccinate. Even vaccinated population believes the mandate goes too far. Time will tell but on the issue of mandatory vaccinations, the majority are not for universal vaccinations. Not when you ignore natural immunity.
The vast majority of Marines will get vaccinated for COVID. Many will gripe but most will comply. Most of the delays in immunizing Marine Corps personnel have resulted in access to the vaccine by Navy medical departments on Marine Corps bases and not some sort of mass mutiny. The Navy remains the branch of the military with the most vaccinated. The Defense Health Agency announced in June that 77 percent of active-duty sailors had received at least one shot. That same data showed vaccination rates of 70 percent in the Army, 61 percent in the Air Force and 58 percent in the Marine Corps. As of July 16, 2021, the Pentagon had administered 4.4 million shots with more than 226,000 service members partially vaccinated and more than 988,000 fully vaccinated.

We initially encountered some resistance when the Anthrax vaccine became mandatory during the Gulf War. But Marines and Sailors were vaccinated for Anthrax prior to deploying to Southwest Asia or they faced the disciplinary consequences. The Commandant of the Marine Corps has made his order pretty clear in the message I linked below. It states:

"The provisions contained within paragraph 3.a of this MARADMIN constitute a lawful general order and any violation of these provisions is punishable as a violation of Article 92 of ref (i). Marines shall take action to fully immunize themselves against COVID-19 per ref (j). Paragraph 3.a is punitive and applies without further implementation. Commanders, commanding officers, and officers in charge shall issue appropriate orders to ensure that their Marines and Sailors are fully vaccinated. In accordance with Rule for Court Martial 306 of ref (n), initial disposition authority for cases arising from COVID-19 vaccine refusals is withheld to the general court-martial convening authority level except that administrative counseling pursuant to paragraph 6105 of ref (k) may be issued at the special court martial convening authority level."

The following is how it's worked in the Marine Corps for decades. Medical Department representatives will coordinate a location, date and time for Marines of a given unit to receive their immunizations with the Commanding Officer and Sergeant Major of the unit. The Sergeant Major will task their Staff NCO's to make it happen and the Marines will report as ordered. Trust me, it's that easy!

I don't believe in mandates either. However, after conducting a lot of research from objective sources and consulting my physician I received the Pfizer vaccine with no ill effects as have all of my friends that are medical professionals and most of my friends in law enforcement. Civilians should be free to make their own informed decisions about their health but in the military you often don't have that option.

https://www.marines.mil/News/Message...ve-components/

Last edited by irishcopper; 09-14-2021 at 10:21 AM..

Old 09-14-2021, 10:20 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Quote:

You don't understand at all how the 3 branches work? The President is barred, by the Constitution, from FORCING the Congress to his mandate.

Quote:
Bye Felicia. The Pfizer is approved. Why there is even any discussion of refusing a vaccine in the military is absurd. Don't want it, bye. Tomorrow. No bennies. No nothing. Just bye.

Quote:
Roughly 25% of the DOD civilian workforce has told their agency heads they will be walking if forced to vaccinate. SOURCE? Even vaccinated population believes the mandate goes too far. SOURCE? Time will tell but on the issue of mandatory vaccinations, the majority are not for universal vaccinations.SOURCE? Not when you ignore natural immunity.
You have a horrible habit of posting BS without claiming a source for any of it.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:29 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post

You have a horrible habit of posting BS without claiming a source for any of it.

I'm hearing grumbling within the ranks of the Department of Homeland Security too. My question is if these people bail from their civilian federal jobs will they really be missed? I doubt it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues