Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2022, 06:36 AM

4,897 posts, read 2,053,813 times

Advertisements

Question. I will be turning 60 in two months and as a retired Army Reservist with 13.5 year of Active Duty service with another 16 years in the Reserve, I was wondering if military retirees, especially reserve retirees, receive yearly COLA increases since I will start receiving monthly payments in February, 2023.

At this point, I do not think so and I am fine with that, but, at the same time, I am hoping that I am wrong!

I know that their has been several changes to the retirement systems over the years, starting back in the mid 1980 within the Active Components, but I do not think the Reserve/Guard retirement system has changed much after the 1980s…. Other than if you did any active duty time after 2017(??), it lowers your eligibility to draw pay BEFORE age 60, by each month you served on Active Duty.

Btw, I first enlisted in January 1980 and reported for Active Duty service in February 1980. After receiving my “20 years letter,” I was transferred into the Retired Reserves. I have also submitted my retirement packet back in July and received a post card from the Army stating that they received my packet and would contact me if they needed any further information to process my packet. Which to date, I have not heard anything back from them.

Thanks for looking and any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 07:34 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
Yes.

https://militaryfamilies.com/militar...tary-retirees/

Old 11-23-2022, 03:48 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Do military retirees get COLA if they retired under the older 20yrs = 50%?
50% of base-pay, not 50% of our total salary.

In my case, base-pay was only around 25% of take-home pay.

I get a COLA increase every year.

Old 11-23-2022, 05:52 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,081,172 times
Your actual amount will be based on points accrued through your career and the rank you retired. Points are calculated on forms that hopefully you have received over your career. If you leave it to chance and hope for the best, some of your previous time may not be annotated and thus included in the calculations.

But you asked about cost of living increases and yes, retired pay, disability pay, social security, government retirement pensions, all get COLA but the timing and percentages vary. It’s worth noting that when you see increases in service members’ pay, that has nothing to do with retired pay.

Old 11-24-2022, 08:12 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Your actual amount will be based on points accrued through your career and the rank you retired. Points are calculated on forms that hopefully you have received over your career. If you leave it to chance and hope for the best, some of your previous time may not be annotated and thus included in the calculations.

But you asked about cost of living increases and yes, retired pay, disability pay, social security, government retirement pensions, all get COLA but the timing and percentages vary. It’s worth noting that when you see increases in service members’ pay, that has nothing to do with retired pay.
Counting points is very specific to only part-timers.

Regular servicemembers don't do that.

I get retired pay and COLA increases do affect my pay [which I think is what the OP was asking].

Old 11-24-2022, 01:43 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,081,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Counting points is very specific to only part-timers.

Regular servicemembers don't do that.

I get retired pay and COLA increases do affect my pay [which I think is what the OP was asking].

The OP is in a situation for a reserve retirement. It’s all about points in reserve and guard and the “chart” includes active duty days.

A full time of 13 years x 365 points, plus the weekend and traditional time, normally this about 60oints per year. So someone ends up with a hefty 6,000 points and that is calculated against 365 days, which say is 16.4 years, which is 82% of a 20 year retirement or 41% of base pay, but have to wait until 60 years old.

It’s a combination of points, which is computed as 365 for a year long deployment. Someone with 13 or 14 active years will receive a big chunk of change but won’t see the first check until 60 years old.

https://themilitarywallet.com/guard-reserve-points/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues