Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:32 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times

Advertisements

The commissaries I shopped at usually had a "requested item" form. You could request that they order a specific item. They order one case and if it sells quickly enough, they restock it.

They usually have more cashiers on paydays, but if enough baggers don't show up, they don't open more lanes. As the baggers all work for tips, the particular commissary can have a high turn over if they aren't getting high enough tips. Generally I gave them $3 per $100 of groceries, minimum of $5. I go with a friend of mine (to keep her company, help her carry the groceries in, etc) now that her dh is deployed. She goes twice a month, and usually tips the bagger $15. The baggers recognize her now and she gets excellent service.

When we switched to civilian life, boy did I get a shock. I'd been shopping at the commissary for 8+ years and the meat prices SHOCKED me. I was used to 89 cents/lb for hamburger meat - now I'm lucky if I can find it for 1.99. Chicken is $1.49/lb at the closest commissary here but in the grocery stores, that's more like $3.99/lb.

Really, it's such a bargain - I just don't understand military families stressing about the price of groceries! Go comparison shopping if you think the prices are high at the commissary! The 30% "they" say you save applies to the groceries overall. The meat can be 75% lower, but soda and chips are on target with SuperWalmart. Plus, you have all those wonderful "military only" coupons. I'm so glad this place exists! It's an amazing benefit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 08:59 AM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,098 posts, read 2,151,481 times
It doesn't matter what you are used to paying, if the price increases you feel it. We pay less for gas than people in Europe pay, but that doesn't stop us from complaining as the prices rise.

I shop the commissary, and have for over 20 years, I just noticing some changes taking place, which are not IMO going in the right direction.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:11 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post

If you see someone using an ID card and shouldn't be , turn them in, I would in a heart beat, and I do ask sometimes about a specific product, the employee just says what is on the shelf is what we have, we don't control the stock...so I don't ask anymore....
ITA! Commissary, MWR, PX/BX are entitlements and can be taken away if they are abused. The ID card of the person who is abusing the entitlement can have their ID confiscated.

We have 2 commissaries where I am at. I refuse to go to one because of how I was treated. I go to the one that is closest to me. They have always been nice to me.
I remember going to the commissary over 26 years ago with my Grandma and the lines were worse then than they are now. I remember the lines being wrapped around the store. Now, its not as bad. I think the longest I ever waited in line was a Friday which was a payday and case lot sale day. Lets say I learned my lesson. I ended up going to Walmart and spent 30.00 more than I usually did and didnt get everything I needed.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:48 PM

I agree, about the selling to unauthorized people, but when management is more interested in the sales...I believe it is also a felony to do so...but....

ladybug, brought up another point....how does your commissary do case lot sales?
We have a separate registar outside that you MUST use for case lot items. So if you only want one item you need to wait in line with people u-boats full. Then you get to go do your regular shopping. I don't understand why case lot stuff can't be run through the regular lines....

Old 09-28-2008, 04:13 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
The current financial crisis is also affecting the Commissary. Yes, prices have gone up but if you purchase brand name items usually the Commissary has better prices. You can find better deals with the store own name brands (don't like) and can be of substantial savings over a 12 month period.

I have access to 3 Commissaries (Eaglin AFB, Hurlburt Field, and Pcola NAS), we normally use Hurlburt Field for the past 11 years, every Saturday and we know 75% of the employees by name. The Team is very customer oriented and they do their best to support the customers needs.

Just like any place they have days that the truck runs late and some items are limited, but is the exception not the rule.

A friend also retired, he uses the $ stores for purchasing can goods and cleaning supplies and he is saving over 50% per week.

I believe our best savings is in the meat department, I can purchase individual packages or larger packages of meats and the savings is about 40% from other supermarkets.

With the ever changing economy we must do what is prudent for our families and what our financial position allows. I can't complain, our Commissary is one of the best in the area and is supporting active, guard, reserve, and retired members, also they support MWR.. better services for all...

Last edited by sunrico90; 09-28-2008 at 04:54 PM..

Old 09-28-2008, 04:46 PM

How does the commissary support MWR? The empolyees of the commissary are DOD employees. AFEES supports MWR (AFEES employees are NOT DOD) but not the commissaries.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:47 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Default Dying without DECA!!

Would like to chime in about life without a commissary.

We lived in Utah...about a mile from Hill AFB and used the commissary regularly (I'm a Navy Reserve Officer). We found it to be 20-30 percent lower than the grocery stores nearby...and about 15% lower than Walmart.

Now we have moved to eastern Long Island. The nearest Commissary is a very small store in Garden City (about a 45 min drive)...and Ft. Hamilton in Brooklyn (1.5 hour drive with traffic). It is awful without the commissary nearby...and I estimate our food costs are 30-40 percent over the commissary. The problem...gas is just as high and the hour drive really cuts into the savings.

In addition to the savings...we miss the feeling that you are using something you earned when shopping at DECA. It is for US...and regular supermarkets are for everyone.

We do try to get to the commissary at Ft Hamilton once a month.

I will be drilling at Ft DIx starting in Nov...so I plan to do my non-perishable shopping there on a drill weekend (with 3000 of my closest friends :-)

To further address the OP...we did not have any customer service issued at Hill AFB. Yeah...the kids who were the baggers were sometimes a little annoying...but they do work for tips! The store staff was great. We asked for specific items to be added to the stock 3 times...and they were able to get it all 3 times. The best one was Barilla Plus Pasta (really healthy stuff that costs like 2.49 a box in the supermarket. They brought in 3 different kinds for $1.09!!!

If folks are having problems with their commissary, let the store managers know. DECA keeps an eye on them and wants your business.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:55 PM

Alexei27, I don't remember if it was Statan (sp?) Island or Long Island...but they used to take a bus to the Subbase in Groton CT to do a commissary run once every month (or every other - don't remember the details, but I thought it was a neat idea)...something you might want to check into.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:19 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
Alexei27, I don't remember if it was Statan (sp?) Island or Long Island...but they used to take a bus to the Subbase in Groton CT to do a commissary run once every month (or every other - don't remember the details, but I thought it was a neat idea)...something you might want to check into.
Thats really great. I wonder where it originated? From Staten Island its about a 3-4 hour drive to Groton (2-3 hours from Queens). I can take the ferry to Groton and its only an hour away (but a $65 ferry fare!!)

I'll do some hunting around...thank you!!

Old 09-28-2008, 06:28 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post

ladybug, brought up another point....how does your commissary do case lot sales?
We have a separate registar outside that you MUST use for case lot items. So if you only want one item you need to wait in line with people u-boats full. Then you get to go do your regular shopping. I don't understand why case lot stuff can't be run through the regular lines....
The one and only time I went (and it was to get my family groceries), they had everything set up in the parking lot with a register outside. Then time before the last one, they set everything up in a vacant building attached to the commy. This last time they set things up in tents.
I avoid case lot sales like the plaque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues