Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:54 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times

Advertisements

My son just signed up in the N.G. for 6yrs and 2 IRR. He's a jr in highschool now (17). He'll go to basic this summer then finish his sr yr. then go to AIT (Advanced indivual training). Even though he won't to to basic for 6 months he starts drilling in Jan. and will continue to drill monthly during his Sr yr. He got 20k just for signing up and they will pay all of his college tuition. He won't have a chance to depoly for 3 yrs. He does run the risk of deploying when he is in college... not sure how he'll avoid that. He's going to ba a 56m Pastor Assistent and will persue a ministerial degree...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 03:02 PM

149 posts, read 439,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
It is an advantage from what I have been told. My issue is that I won't be in school until June of this year(early June). I am considering the Air Force, but I don't want to be in situation where I can't go to school. I know that the Air Force can pay for tuition.
Right now I am looking for a job and my job search has come up fruitless. That is another part of why I am thinking about the Air Force.
There is no guarentee that you will not be called up. I joined the Guard with the same idea as you but this was before 9/11 so deployments were not an on going thing.

I ended up going to Iraq in 06/07 and even though I don't fully agree with the war it turned out to be the best expierience in my life and by far more influential than college ever was.

All I'm trying to say is don't join the military just for college. If you do join you might discover that there are some great opportunities within the military that a college degree will never get you as well great paying.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:57 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGreekDude View Post
There is no guarentee that you will not be called up. I joined the Guard with the same idea as you but this was before 9/11 so deployments were not an on going thing.

I ended up going to Iraq in 06/07 and even though I don't fully agree with the war it turned out to be the best expierience in my life and by far more influential than college ever was.

All I'm trying to say is don't join the military just for college. If you do join you might discover that there are some great opportunities within the military that a college degree will never get you as well great paying.
Good post

The benefit of a 20-year pension can not be over stated either.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:53 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGreekDude View Post

I never said I wouldn't be called up. That is one thing that worries me is will I be called up in the middle of a semester or will I be in traning during a semester or who knows.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:15 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Pirate Lafitte, you needn't worry about continuing your education while deployed. Schools that have on-base programs are used to working with their military students who are deplyoyed, on shift work or have other challenges. In my experience, most military commanders and supervisors are very supportive when it comes to their troops furthering education. Bet of luck!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:27 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Pirate Lafitte, you needn't worry about continuing your education while deployed. Schools that have on-base programs are used to working with their military students who are deplyoyed, on shift work or have other challenges. In my experience, most military commanders and supervisors are very supportive when it comes to their troops furthering education. Bet of luck!

Agreed, plus you're going to have certain legal protections should you deploy in the middle of a semester. I can't remember exactly what they are, but at the very least you'll get your money back.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:28 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I have some news for all who have given advice on this thread. I spoke to an Air Force recruiter today. It turns out I won't be able to join the Air Force after all. I was told my medical history would disqualify me because I suffered a broken spine in July 2008. I have since recovered and still have walking(and running) ability. The fact is that because of my previous injury(and the fact that I have 2 metal rods in my back), I am unable to join. Thank you to all who have given me advice on this thread.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
The guard, atleast last year when I got out, had a program called college first. It was something that you get in your contract where as long as your a full time student in college you are non deployable for two years. However I think the fine print says that you are non deployable to Iraq not nessasrly Afganistan. I dont know the details about but a recruiter will know more.

The Guard also had a program dont know it's it is still around where if you sign up for active first say 6 years and do 2 years in the guard for you eight years you got a 60K bonus. I would have jumped at that one.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:16 PM

149 posts, read 439,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
The guard, atleast last year when I got out, had a program called college first. It was something that you get in your contract where as long as your a full time student in college you are non deployable for two years. However I think the fine print says that you are non deployable to Iraq not nessasrly Afganistan. I dont know the details about but a recruiter will know more.

The Guard also had a program dont know it's it is still around where if you sign up for active first say 6 years and do 2 years in the guard for you eight years you got a 60K bonus. I would have jumped at that one.
Never heard of that one... there's always some myths about certain benifits you get with military that people talk about but you never know anybody that gets them. I could see that bonus for a very critical MOS or maybe EOD or linguist though.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:04 PM

26 posts, read 177,619 times
If you actually do join up, AIR FORCE is the way to go. Air National Guard is top shelf in my opinion. US Coast Guard would be my next choice. Both are really fantastic.
As you go down the list of armed services, Marines are probably the toughest group. God bless them, where would this country be without them!! But a tough basic.

Navy? You gotta love being on a ship for months at a time. ( Not all that serve, are on ships ) But it's a possibliity to be on one.. Not Me!!

US Army?? Are you kidding?? Eating out of a mess kit in the pouring rain, with potatoes floating on top of your peachers, just dosen't do it for me. If you like that life then go for it. I always considered the Army as the arm pit of the services.

But when it comes down to any of them, It's a blessing that we have all of them out there , defending this great country from those that hate us! God bless each and every member of our Armed Forces.!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues