Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 06:25 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Right now I am having a few issues right now. I am not in school right now and I have a feeling I won't be until the end of May. One of the options I have thought about is the Air Force or National Guard. I don't know if I should. I know that the armed services are not for everyone. A few things I need to know.

I expect that I would have to go through some training. I can live with that.
What I need to know is how long would I need to stay? Would I go into combat right away? Would I still be able to go to school in June 2009?

The reason I ask is because I don't want this to interfere with my college education in the future. That is one worry of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 08:21 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Pirate Lafitte, the short answer is: "Go talk to an Air Force Recruiter". I served 23 years in the USAF and loved it. But everyone has different needs, experiences, and opinions. And that's certainly true of us here on City Data... But a recruiter can answer your questions and arm you with the correct and current information to help you make the best decision for YOU. Best of luck!

(Yes, you will have access to some great training in the USAF. And all of the armed services have excellent opportunities for furthering your off-duty education. There are also some very good commissioning programs if you'd like to become a military officer, as well. I believe the USAF still has 4- and 6-year enlistments. A recruiter can give you the current info, including what enlistment bonuses are being offered.)

Old 11-28-2008, 08:00 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Right now I am having a few issues right now. I am not in school right now and I have a feeling I won't be until the end of May. One of the options I have thought about is the Air Force or National Guard. I don't know if I should. ...
How do you support yourself?

Once you go into the NG what would be your plans for a job then?

Both of our children did consider the Reserves, it is advertised a lot in schools.

So working one weekend a month [2 days] and two weeks each summer [14 days], those are the days that you get paid for. A total of 38 days each year, and those are the days [day for day] that you would be paid for. With the exception of when you are called up to serve.

Part of the idea of the part-time services is that you would still be a mechanic, or a police officer, or a welder, somewhere earning a living to support yourself and family.

I served 20+ years in the Navy. Fulltime earning fulltime pay. I have known many part-timers. A lot of them were having fun, a working holiday away from their regular jobs.

But with long deployments, there have been a lot of complaints too. If your civilian job pays at one level, and your NG gig pays at a lower level. As a civilian you establish one standard-of-living [apartment rent level, car payments, family]. Then while your deployed you might be earning much less, and no longer able to afford that apartment, or that car, etc.

I know that playing in the 'sandbox' the last thing that should be on your mind is how your car is being repossessed, or your wife and kids may be evicted from their apartment. But it happens.

As I said, I served a full career. I qualified for a pension and I was booted out for being too old [they call it 'high-year-tenure']. So I retired at 42 years old.

It is possible for you as well to get a pension and retire in 20 years from now. If that is your goal. But it requires that you serve full time on active duty.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:31 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,177 times
it's simple really, USAF is full time, National Guard is part time unless deployed or otherwise activated.

All terms of service are 8 years, but since we're an all-volunteer force, for active you are allowed 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 year initial entry contracts (depending on the branch of service) with the balance of the 8 years in IRR (an inactive "list" of people who can be called up, if that specialty is needed badly).

Reserve components also have the 8 year obligation, and they handle it in the same manner.

Talk to a recruiter for both if you want, but please don't go into a reserve component thinking "I can swap over to active after training if I like it." That isn't always easy and it's up to your unit to give you up to the active component. If they need you for an upcoming rotation, they won't sign the paperwork for at least a year.

USAF is great, all of them are. NG and other reserve components are also great. I'm retired Army and know it can be a bold step to serve knowing a deployment is in your future. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:10 PM

After some of the responses, I really need to sort things out. I don't know if the military is for me. I will speak with someone though.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:48 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
It is hard to guess and say what you want to be doing in 20 years.

I admit there were many times when I really disliked the Navy. Spending 3 months at a time underwater working for tyrants is rough at times. But the money we were paid was very addictive. I invested and did okay with my portfolio. I am glad that I sucked it up and stayed for the pension.

The reserves can be 'good'. I think that in most cases, it is a rip off though. 6 years go by, and unless you really did something with the training, you are no closer to supporting yourself, nor to a pension.

The Air Force has wonderful bases.

It takes a lot of folks to maintain those planes. All those folks live with their families, they can go to a movie theater, bowling, play golf, many bases have go-cart tracks, and more. Living on an Air Force base is very nice.

And even the aircrews go to their homes and families every night.

I know retired Air Force personnel, they rarely have anything bad to say about the Air Force.

I took each of my children to talk to recruiters. I urged each of join the Air Force. And I have seen that this is common among retirees. If our children must go into the military, we all want them to go Air Force. Because it is a much nicer standard of living, and Air Force policies are such that they are actually nice to each other.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:49 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,813 times
While it is true that the military is not for everyone going via the reserve/guard route may very well be a good option. It's also important to note that deployability can happen in all branches, but for obvious reasons the Army and Marine Corps see the largest, longest, and in some cases most frequent repeat call ups. It all depends on what your job is and what current mission taskings are. The USAF has reserve/guard units that also serve frequently, but their tour lengths are usually of shorter duration. The education benefits vary, but can really save a substantial amount of money. As several have mentioned go see and speak with a recruiter. Take your ASVAB test and then have them tell you what options exist for you. I have served with the Army Reserve, active USAF (ten years), USAFR, and now with the Army National Guard and all have their pros and cons. I earned my BA while in the USAF and my son is getting commisioned in the Army Guard this coming spring. For him, by going the guard route saved him a bit over $100K for his BA degree.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:07 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
After some of the responses, I really need to sort things out. I don't know if the military is for me. I will speak with someone though.
My son went in the A/F after college. It is an advantage to go in after you receive a degree rank wise. He totally enjoys it, has a great duty station and has friends he's NEVER had in civilian life.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
My son went in the A/F after college. It is an advantage to go in after you receive a degree rank wise. He totally enjoys it, has a great duty station and has friends he's NEVER had in civilian life.
It is an advantage from what I have been told. My issue is that I won't be in school until June of this year(early June). I am considering the Air Force, but I don't want to be in situation where I can't go to school. I know that the Air Force can pay for tuition.
Right now I am looking for a job and my job search has come up fruitless. That is another part of why I am thinking about the Air Force.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:15 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
It is an advantage from what I have been told. My issue is that I won't be in school until June of this year(early June). I am considering the Air Force, but I don't want to be in situation where I can't go to school. I know that the Air Force can pay for tuition.
Right now I am looking for a job and my job search has come up fruitless. That is another part of why I am thinking about the Air Force.
Yes, the Air Force has excellent education opportunities. Take advantage of it and join. Tuitions are not easy to pay back if you do not have a good paying job in your field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues