Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,319 times

Advertisements

i was hoping once we got these uniform we would be able to wear them anyway as long they were not dirty. cause i fly whenever i take leave and go back on long weekends and i always see the army guys were they uniforms. once i found out that the navy were getting those type of uniforms just in navy colors i would be able to wear them when i fly home. cause i like wearing my unifroms out in public just i dont always feel like changing into one of the dress uniforms to do so. i dont see a problem with weear these out in town or when flying back home on leave but we all the navy they make everything so dumb and take the fun out of everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,453,449 times
I think the rules are pretty leanient for a working uniform.
Navy Working Uniform Rules

Old 01-01-2009, 05:33 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I enlisted in 1976, I retired in 2001.

Don't know if I am 'old' Navy or 'new' Navy.

Everywhere I have been working uniforms were not allowed off-base. In some areas the commands ignored it, while in other places it was enforced. But it was always in writing.

I like the policy, it keeps tax write-offs high, so more of us can continue to itemize our taxes and be 'tax exempt'.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I enlisted in 1976, I retired in 2001.

Don't know if I am 'old' Navy or 'new' Navy.

Everywhere I have been working uniforms were not allowed off-base. In some areas the commands ignored it, while in other places it was enforced. But it was always in writing.

I like the policy, it keeps tax write-offs high, so more of us can continue to itemize our taxes and be 'tax exempt'.

Both Army and Navy and we were never allowed to wear our working uniforms off base. When we first had the BDU's, they were working uniforms and not allowed off base. We changed from civies or wore class B uniforms outside of the class A's. Navy...NOPE! No dungarees whatsoever. Had to have civies on or uniform.

I hear ya about the other places. Seems the farther you are away from Washington, the more lax it was. Pearl Harbor was so lax, I thought I was in another military!

Old 01-02-2009, 01:28 PM

208 posts, read 476,334 times
http://www.navy.mil/management/videodb/player/video.aspx?ID=3538

Task Force Uniform Test Uniforms Unveiled Aboard USS Iwo Jima
Story Number: NNS041019-11
Release Date: 10/19/2004 4:41:00 PM

By Journalist 1st Class (SW) Mike Jones and Seaman (SW) Amanda Bruechert, USS Iwo Jima Public Affairs
ABOARD USS IWO JIMA (NNS) -- With USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7) as his backdrop, Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (SS/AW) Terry Scott unveiled the Navy’s uniform of the near future to the assembled crew of LHD 7 Oct. 18, officially launching the test phase of Task Force Uniform (TFU) for the fleet.

The trial uniforms will be worn by several Sailors aboard Iwo Jima and other commands, both ashore and afloat, during an evaluation period to test the materials’ durability and functionality, Scott explained. The test phase will last six months and will begin this winter.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:01 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,093 times
The Marines have had this policy [not being able to wear the cammies in public] for a few years now too. We seem to be dealing with it just fine. Navy just needs to stop whining and get over it. Besides, their blue digi cammies look a whole lot better than that janitor uniform they currently wear.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
The Marines have had this policy [not being able to wear the cammies in public] for a few years now too. We seem to be dealing with it just fine. Navy just needs to stop whining and get over it. Besides, their blue digi cammies look a whole lot better than that janitor uniform they currently wear.
Actually, the "janitor" uniforms look better than the dungarees, have more pockets and don't shrink up to your shins! Back in the day, we used to chuckle that the prison uniforms weren't much different.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:02 PM

568 posts, read 1,478,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
About what? Complaining about clothes? Wear what is given to you!

Given? We give our lives, atleast let us have a say in what we want to die in!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Hmmm.... Athletically fit young people working up a sweat in a see-through uniform.

Sounds like a great recruiting tool to me.

I joined the wrong service - darn.

Way to go Navy!

Oh My!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
YEP! But the Seals seem to be the only ones who stay in shape.

Yeah, that's OLD Navy. You get kicked out for not being in shape in the new navy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues