Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:12 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times

Advertisements

Intelligence career? Languages? Navy or Air Force..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,836 times
My husband is strongly considering joining the Army but I want him to be sure what he is getting himself into. I, myself am Active Duty Air Force and we recently found out I was pregnant. What would be his best option in regards to all of us, including our unborn child?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:26 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay88 View Post
My husband is strongly considering joining the Army but I want him to be sure what he is getting himself into. I, myself am Active Duty Air Force and we recently found out I was pregnant. What would be his best option in regards to all of us, including our unborn child?
I am retired Army (22+) was stationed at two AFB's.

Considering what you have said so far he should go Air Force.

His chances of you and him being stationed together are greatly reduced if he is Army.

Rich

Old 08-26-2009, 08:12 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,607 times
All depends on what job he wants to do.

If he really likes, say, tanks or HUMINT, then the Army is obviously the better choice.

If he wants to get into something more general like admin or medical, then Air Force is definetely the way to go.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:33 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I'm hearing you loud and clear. My dad was Air Force....and that would definitely be my son's first choice had it not been for the changes recently, and the AF downsizing. He's looking at this from a long term point of view and the opportunities he could possibly have in a larger branch like the Army.
Size isn't everything. Seriously I would strongly suggest he not get too wrapped up in the "size" thing, in fact especially since he's looking to make a career of this. The downsizing the AF is doing is rather modest and times change, economies change, world stage changes etc etc. And doubly so if he's not gung ho about seeing combat, which is far more likely in the Army than the other services.

Quote:
Right now he's not in the best shape (he was not an athlete) and is working on his distance running and general fitness resistance.
If he goes into the AF I wouldn't worry about it too much Unless he's REALLY out of shape.

Quote:
In general, is it better to talk to local recruiters, or to talk to the recruiting department on base or post?
I have never heard of a "recruiting dept" on a base. They usually have their own offices outside the base. But a recruiter is a recruiter. Your best bet to really find out info is talking to people who have been there and have nothing to gain by giving you answers, unlike them, but ultimately of course you obviously need to go to them. Just remember talk is cheap, in fact ultimately worthless......IF IT'S NOT IN THE CONTRACT IT'S NOT GUARANTEED AND YOU BEST NOT COUNT ON IT! That can't be stressed enough.

Quality of life in AF is definitely above the rest. I am AF and have been/stayed on Army and Navy bases and felt like I was holding my breath until I could get the hell out of there.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay88 View Post
Have it delivered by a civilian doctor. Seriously. I wouldn't trust military medical to band-aid my finger.

That aside, depends on a lot of things like what are his job prospects now, how old is he, how smart is he, etc etc. Oh and I wouldn't hold your breath about both being stationed together, from what I gather that's a lot harder now than it used to be.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:01 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,942 times
Default USA or USAF

I recently retired from the AF. I will cover some items that I hope will help your son's decision.

During my AF career, I deployed alot maybe as much as the Army but I was rarely on the front line, even in war. Matter of fact, the Army returned from the front lines to rest at my base. At the time, when I was much younger, I regretted joining the AF because I wanted more involvement besides supporting the front lines. But now, the game has changed and the front lines are not so defined. Before my retirement, the new generation of troops were deploying side by side to work with the Army, at least more so than my days of deployment.

During my AF career, I worked in 3 differant career fields. My first career field was classified as an AF grunt, then I cross trained into office jobs. My first job was good during my younger days but as I aged I did not feel like digging foxholes, etc so I started looking for a change. This flexibility or change helped my morale because I get bored quick. This is especially beneficial for 20 year career. I don't know how easy the Army crosstrains but I feel its pretty easy in the AF. He might want to research this area.

Support: I visited several AF (maybe all) and some Army bases. There are dramactic differences between the services. To keep is short, the AF is alot better.

Promotion: I was promoted faster than most but I was not promoted as fast as my Army comrades. The Army promotes alot faster than the AF. Matter of fact, I think, the Army promotes the fastest. To me, this is a key point because later, he will have a family so the funds are needed. As stated before, I was promoted faster than most and I have the average amount of kids but the pay was my constant challenge. Good pay really did not kick in till my 15 year mark but I think the AF is trying to change that.

What service would I join? I would join the AF, as an officer. I think you said OTS. The officer retirement check is extremely high when compared to enlisted. Matter of fact, I live down the road from a Colonel. Don't know much about the guy but I know we retired a year apart. He does not work, while I had to find another full job to support my family. Definitely research this option.

Good luck!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:09 PM

491 posts, read 1,045,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Have it delivered by a civilian doctor. Seriously. I wouldn't trust military medical to band-aid my finger.
Awww, really? Why not?
I delivered my son at an army hospital, and their staff was the MOST amazing medical group of people that I have come across. My sister, on the other hand, delivered at a civilian hosp and her experience was HORRIBLE!
^ I know that has nothing to do with you sons future, but here are my two cents: I would go AF. I was in for 3 yrs and I absolutely loved every minute of it! I now with soldiers at an army hospital, and everyone I've come across so far hates the Army for one reason or another.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
My son has had his mind set on a military career
It's been over two years since posting. Did you son ever decide on what to do?

Rich

Old 09-05-2009, 10:36 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Intelligence career? Languages? Navy or Air Force..
Hmmm... Army is okay too for Intel I was a 35F ( formely 96B )..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues