Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:14 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Why?

There are choices that we can each make.

Why is it better to lock in to one doctor's office and not be able to travel?

I have 2 homes in different states. Maybe I like to travel.

I agree that Tricare is great as compared to civilian health care plans.

All options of Tricare are great.
Everyone's needs are different. We opted for Tricare Prime because it had miniscule out-of-pocket expenses and when we looked on line for providers in our area, the list was nearly 10 pages long. With Standard, you CAN see an out-of-network doctor but then you have to submit your own paperwork. If you don't want to do that, you have to go with a network provider which is the same thing I have with less headache. You also have a deductible with Standard that you don't have with TriCare Prime. As a family, our deductible would be $300 and for the Prime we pay just over $400 for our annual enrollment...seems to basically cancel each other out. You also have to pay a percentage of the cost under Standard for doctors visits and hospital stays which isn't the case with Prime (which is a fixed $12 copay). And most importantly for us, there is a $500 per day charge for hospitalization under TriCare Standard and that would wipe us out if we had an emergency.

As far as traveling goes, we had to go to the hospital in California while visiting family and didn't have any problems whatsoever. If it were me and I was in your shoes (and I hope to be one day a traveler too), I would get my annual checkups at the same time every year and then chose THAT location and doctor as my primary care doctor. I'd find a doctor I like in the place I spend half my year, get my checkups and routine procedures done and then rest assured that if there is an emergency at my other residence, I can still see a doctor.

Here is a good link to look over for those still trying to decide. I found it helpful: http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/Pla...dard+and+Extra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 08:00 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Everyone's needs are different. We opted for Tricare Prime because it had miniscule out-of-pocket expenses and when we looked on line for providers in our area, the list was nearly 10 pages long. With Standard, you CAN see an out-of-network doctor but then you have to submit your own paperwork.
The doctor's office people do that part of it.

The state and private healthcare systems are so far behind in sending out payments that offices are more than willing to do a tiny amount of paperwork for Federal payments.

Quote:
... If you don't want to do that, you have to go with a network provider which is the same thing I have with less headache. You also have a deductible with Standard that you don't have with TriCare Prime. As a family, our deductible would be $300 and for the Prime we pay just over $400 for our annual enrollment...seems to basically cancel each other out. You also have to pay a percentage of the cost under Standard for doctors visits and hospital stays
In this economy, it has been our observation that few will charge you anything.

Quote:
... which isn't the case with Prime (which is a fixed $12 copay). And most importantly for us, there is a $500 per day charge for hospitalization under TriCare Standard and that would wipe us out if we had an emergency.

As far as traveling goes, we had to go to the hospital in California while visiting family and didn't have any problems whatsoever. If it were me and I was in your shoes (and I hope to be one day a traveler too), I would get my annual checkups at the same time every year and then chose THAT location and doctor as my primary care doctor. I'd find a doctor I like in the place I spend half my year, get my checkups and routine procedures done and then rest assured that if there is an emergency at my other residence, I can still see a doctor.
My shoes?

What are my shoes?

I go in to see any doctors that I call and schedule an appointment with.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:13 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The doctor's office people do that part of it.

The state and private healthcare systems are so far behind in sending out payments that offices are more than willing to do a tiny amount of paperwork for Federal payments.

In this economy, it has been our observation that few will charge you anything.

My shoes?

What are my shoes?

I go in to see any doctors that I call and schedule an appointment with.
You seem to want to argue with me and I have absolutely NO idea why.

TriCare Prime is THE best insurance a newly-retired military member can get...hands down. The options, the cost, the enormous number of doctors you can see, etc etc. If, in your situation (dare I say "shoes"?) you have different residences, perhaps you enjoy your Standard.

While working through the retirement process, we did nothing significant without lots of research and I was very lucky to have worked at MacDill AFB's Medical Group Commander's office where I got to talk to the people who certainly know far more than I do about TriCare (my boss was in charge of the TriCare office and staff) and every single one of them, from the medical group commander to the pharmacy commander to the GS-12 who runs the TriCare office told me...take TriCare Prime.

We've had a lot of medical issues come up since my husband retired and we are good about getting routine care as well. TriCare Prime is excellent, headache free, CAN be used if you're out of town and very cheap compared to what else is out there once you become a civilian.

I provided the website for others to make their decision about what TriCare plan is best for their family...you seem happy with yours, I'm happy with mine. Why argue?

Old 01-18-2010, 05:39 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
I enjoy Tricare Prime also and agree that is the best choice for most.

My wife recently had pretty serious same day surgery and our copay was $12 for everthing.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:40 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
We have Tricare Prime, well actually another policy which is underwritten by Tricare called Martins Point. Really it is the same thing as Prime, but it is regionally administered and their network is tied in with all of our local hospitals and doctor's offices.

My Dw likes it.

Personally I would prefer Tricare standard, for it's ability to remain mobile.

I did not mean to be arguing with you specifically. I just do not see Prime as the best, because it restricts you.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:26 AM

39 posts, read 313,023 times
I will be happy with having affordable health care for my family. Right now 250 a paycheck, $500 A MONTH is not cutting it.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:24 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
I am not so concerned that the President will target Tricare for the military and retirees but I am afraid that it will get caught up in the whole health care reworking and coverages will be reduced.

Sort of a cross leveling affect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues