Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 AM

840 posts, read 3,469,504 times

Advertisements

Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve

It breaks it down by state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 02:45 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,217,975 times
Sorry is this supposed to be meaningful in any way? ie who's going to say "I don't support the Guard/Reserves" - ?

Old 01-30-2009, 04:59 PM

840 posts, read 3,469,504 times
Default Correction!!!

My most humble apologies. That didn't make much sense. Wish it would let me go back and correct my post I didn't get the first lnk on there so here is what it was.....Snopes and hoaxslayer says the following is true.
__________________________________________________ ________

By law, businesses are required to hold their jobs open and available for employees called to duty in the Reserves or National Guard... but nothing more. Usually, people take a big pay cut and lose benefits as a result of being called up.

Employers are not required to make up the difference between the person's normal salary and the salary she or he receives as a member of the military. Nor are employers required to maintain all of the absent worker's job benefits while he or she is away.

Many American companies are making a commitment to their reservist employees which is well beyond the lawful requirement. They are voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called up reservist employees for up to two years.

Sears said that they regard service to our country as one of greatest sacrifices our young men and women can make. They went on to say that they are happy to do their part to lessen the burden they bear at this time.

We appreciate these companies and want to make sure they are recognized for this outstanding contribution. We want to make sure they know that as Americans, we do appreciate what they are doing for our military!! These companies are exemplary corporate citizens.

When doing business with one of these companies we each might tell a manager why we are shopping there so the company gets the positive reinforcement it well deserves. About ESGR (http://esgr.org/about.asp - broken link)

Old 02-02-2009, 03:45 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,217,975 times
Again sorry did I miss something? I see the list of companies and that they signed this "Statements of Support for the National Guard and Reserve".....again don't take this wrong but so what? It looks to me like a bunch of rhetorical empty calories. They're just saying "we support you!"

Also I seriously question how many companies will make up the diff in pay you mention at all, let alone for 2 years, outside of defense contractors.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:49 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,705,713 times
Odds odds odds...If you are working and enlist, your odds increase of getting laid off...If a company has to lay off XXX amount of people, they'll find a reason to rid themselves of the military guard/reserve non-productivity burden...

Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 PM

667 posts, read 2,889,818 times
I'm in the Guard and just returned home from Iraq right before Thanksgiving. I have yet to have started back at my civilian job. I tried to use ESGR but my company was not even willing to play. Because of this I had to file a USERRA complaint against them through the department of labor.

So the list in this thread? I would love to work for a company who even gave only lip service support. And yes, some companies do pay the difference between military pay and their civilian pay. How long is always dependent on the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues