U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I've already sent this question to the VA and am awaiting an answer but I also wanted to aske it here. Does anyone know if the VA has a program for testing former sailors for lead exposure from the lead paint used on the ships? From what I read so far, it seems that if you have lead in the body as an adult it can result in memory loss and pain in the joints, something I'm beginning to feel at 40 years old and am not sure if it's age or my exposure to lead. I also read that you have to be treated to have the lead removed. At the time I was in we didn't use respirators to chip the old paint off the bulkheads and this was a ship built in the 60s. We used a primer that scared me. If you left the can open too long it would dry into a solid rubbery green block. We were told the primer and the paint at the time was lead based. Should I get tested by my family doctor and send the results to the VA or see if they'll do the testing first?
Sorry to tell you, but there is no cure for lead poisoning. From what I have learned it settles into the bones in your body and does damage to parts of the brain. Once in the bones it can not be removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 05:00 PM

23,462 posts, read 37,356,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnman1950 View Post
Sorry to tell you, but there is no cure for lead poisoning. From what I have learned it settles into the bones in your body and does damage to parts of the brain. Once in the bones it can not be removed.
You are partially incorrect. Lead poisoning can be treated, but any damage caused cannot be reversed.

References:
https://www.healthline.com/health/lead-poisoning

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/drc-20354723

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/306601.php

Old 02-24-2018, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 113 times
I was wondering about "red lead". I was on the USS Columbus during her decommissioning in 1974. It was a mess decommissioning was worse than just painting. I was in areas of the ship that hasn't been there since commissioning, picked me because I was very thin and and 5'10". Miserable 8 months. I was wondering about any skin issues

Old Today, 06:08 PM

1 posts
You can have a simple blood test for lead and any other heavy metals. If you are enrolled in the VA system, have your provider order the tests. Otherwise, have your civilian provider order the tests. There are many other chemicals and heavy metals that can cause neurologic symptoms as well as some forms of cancer are linked as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or