Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:21 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
The last time i was underway on a submarine was in 2006, and underway beards are still popular, but with only three conditions - A) you had your fish, B) you owned a no-shave chit (small ships fundraiser), and C) it did not interfere with the sealing capacity of the EAB.
Yes, I have been on subs that did exactly as you describe.

You wear your fish, $5 to MWR, and you face is such that you can get a seal in an OBA or EAB.

My beard is now down past my nipples

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 07:33 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,054 times
low maintenance, you can cut your own hair, no need to waste time and money going to a barber

also guys with premature balding / hair loss like to buzz their head because it looks better.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:53 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
low maintenance, you can cut your own hair, no need to waste time and money going to a barber

also guys with premature balding / hair loss like to buzz their head because it looks better.
All of the above applies to me.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:00 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
M.A.S.H. has been on TV for what seems like ages.

Never have heard anyone mention the hair of Hawkeye on his ears...and supposedly a doctor too boot.

I was on the front lines in Korea in 1952 and we still had to have our hair cut military trim.

One guy was our barber and made some good beer money (even if it was 3.2 beer). I always had 1-2 cases under my bunk. I was in the ammo section for our 105mm howitzers and we were just behind the infantry for firing support.

Steve

Old 05-07-2009, 03:56 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
That was a good point raised. The EAB (I've never personally heard of that one), CBR gear, and the OBA fit better to the head if there isn't a mass of hair in the way!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar
That was a good point raised. The EAB (I've never personally heard of that one), CBR gear, and the OBA fit better to the head if there isn't a mass of hair in the way!
On a sub we compress air to 4500 psi, and fill massive tanks, then reduce it back down to a dozen different psi's to perform various jobs.

One of those jobs is 105psi air, which is ran in piping in every passageway, with a manifold every 6 feet. An 'EAB' is a mask attached to a respirator and a 6 foot hose. You pull into a manifold and you have a continuous supply of air to breath. In this manner you can continue working in thick smoke or if your compartment has filled with water.

We are all trained to do our jobs wearing EABs, and we can all respond to any emergency, anywhere in the sub, while wearing EABs.

We have enough compressed air to feed the EAB system and to supply the entire crew for weeks when needed.

It all depends on your face's shape.

To say that they fit better without a beard is a false statement. I never had any problems, and I served for 20 years. I did see a few guys, who due to the shape of their face, could not wear a beard and get a seal with an EAB. It was rare.

Every patrol, and often about every week we would test our EAB seals to make sure they worked.

Among a crew of 135 submariners you could usually count on maybe 2 guys that could not get a complete seal while they are wearing a beard.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
On a sub we compress air to 4500 psi, and fill massive tanks, then reduce it back down to a dozen different psi's to perform various jobs.

One of those jobs is 105psi air, which is ran in piping in every passageway, with a manifold every 6 feet. An 'EAB' is a mask attached to a respirator and a 6 foot hose. You pull into a manifold and you have a continuous supply of air to breath. In this manner you can continue working in thick smoke or if your compartment has filled with water.

We are all trained to do our jobs wearing EABs, and we can all respond to any emergency, anywhere in the sub, while wearing EABs.

We have enough compressed air to feed the EAB system and to supply the entire crew for weeks when needed.

It all depends on your face's shape.

To say that they fit better without a beard is a false statement. I never had any problems, and I served for 20 years. I did see a few guys, who due to the shape of their face, could not wear a beard and get a seal with an EAB. It was rare.

Every patrol, and often about every week we would test our EAB seals to make sure they worked.

Among a crew of 135 submariners you could usually count on maybe 2 guys that could not get a complete seal while they are wearing a beard.
My apologies, but I was thinking more about head hair than beards when I said that. Any type of face mask that goes over your head so that you can breathe, like those hooked to the OBA, or respirators, are going to fit better the closer they get to your skull.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
My apologies, but I was thinking more about head hair than beards when I said that. Any type of face mask that goes over your head so that you can breathe, like those hooked to the OBA, or respirators, are going to fit better the closer they get to your skull.
Of course, you are correct.

My apology, sir.

A full head of long hair would also get tangled in the buckles of face masks.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:56 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
What a great thread, All!!! Couldn't help thinking of the days in the mid-70s when things were a LOT different. I remember us first-termers whining FOREVER about having to keep our hair so short. There were pages and pages of letters in the Air Force Times and other publications about Air Force appearance standards (AFR 35-10 in the old days...) relating to hair length and other grooming issues. "We'll stick out from the civilians." "No woman will go out with a guy with short hair." and so on. My, how times have changed... (For the better, I might add)

Old 05-08-2009, 12:23 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
As some mentioned it promotes Espirit De Corps and IMO,surrendering one's individuality, uniformity and a clean-cut appearance.

When I had my high and tight back in the 80s, I would get weird looks when going on leave to a city or area where there wasn't a military presence . Now, a high & tight let alone shaved head is common now in the most males in the civilian population.

In fact, Crew Chief..Most women today tend to prefer men with short hair or their heads shaved. It is indeed interesting how times have changed.

Funny thing though I had more hair in the Corps than I do now..on the top, that is, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues