Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 08:03 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times

Advertisements

One thing I always try to do when I'm shopping downtown, at the mall, etc., is whenever I see one in uniform, I always give them a "thumbs up" and thank them for their services. They appreciate it.

We appreciate THEM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 02:37 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
They are special.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:41 PM

68 posts, read 61,560 times
Thank you...CIA...FBI...Air Force...Army...Marines...Navy...all the special forces within those listed and the non-listed ones. You are special people!

Old 05-23-2009, 02:45 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,498,348 times

Old 05-23-2009, 03:51 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
Thank you for your service to our country

Old 05-23-2009, 03:55 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Actually, Monday , Memorial Day, we honor the dead ( both those that died in combat and those that died after returning home and living a civilian life.)

That is why gaveyards have a flag on EVERY vet's grave whether he died in combat or died 60 years later.

Veterans Day is when we honor all veterans living or dead.
( they really should be honored 365 days ------IMHO )
You are correct I think we have mostly done that but I never pass up an opportunity to thank the living soldiers & their families for this unselfishness too.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:09 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Actually, Monday , Memorial Day, we honor the dead ( both those that died in combat and those that died after returning home and living a civilian life.)

That is why gaveyards have a flag on EVERY vet's grave whether he died in combat or died 60 years later.

Veterans Day is when we honor all veterans living or dead.
( they really should be honored 365 days ------IMHO )
Actually, Memorial Day was originally concieved to honor the Union troops who died during the Civil War. It is not recognized in many Southern states, except at the Federal level, which is why many state agencies and school districts remain open on Memorial Day. Those states have their own days for remembering their Civil War veterans.

Veteran's Day is still Armistice Day to us old-timers, the day WWI ended.

I agree that every vet should be remembered 365. That's why I think they should have their own days, instead of lumping everyone in together. The result being that most folks don't know the origin of these days. Just to prove my point, ask some folks if they know the origin of Memorial Day or if they know when or what Armistice Day is. How about D-Day, V-E or V-J Day? Do they know when Armed Forces Day is? How about the birthdays for the USAF? USCG? Navy? Army? Marine Corps?

BTW, greeneggs overlooked the USCG. They are as much a branch of the military as the others listed. Even though their mission is humanitarian, saving lives is not all they do. Coasties have died in every military conflict since 1789, up to and including the current one.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:17 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
In memory of my uncle who died in the South Pacific in WWII. (My other uncles and cousins--5 in all--made it back home safely.)

In memory of the 5 young men from my little town of 110 who died in WWII. (Their pictures hang in the community center.)

In memory of a classmate who died in Vietnam.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:01 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
MICoastieMom thanks for your output.
Just so you know I did not start this just for Memorial Day I started it so that it would be there all the time so that people may give their thanks to every vet any day of the week.

We are a free country because of all vets no matter what branch dead or alive. For someone to give up the life they knew to give to the military and our country is an incredibly unselfish act. Not just one day a year but every day.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:12 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May, this year it is May 25, 2009). Memorial Day was formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. men and women who died while in the military service. First enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War, it was expanded after World War I to include American casualties of any war or military action.

In many ways I celebrate Memorial Day almost every day. I celebrate the many people I had the opportunity to serve with while I was in the service. I am a retired soldier and as time passes I wish I would have given my thanks to more of my "buddies" while I had the chance. For me, the bad times will always be remembered but they continue to fade away. Not forgetting what we have in this great country, the good times remain vivid in my memory. So tomorrow on Memorial Day please take a short moment to hug your family and tell them how much you care. Each year I say I will produce a better and more appropriate video and each year it gets forgotten... So, for the time being, this is the best I could come up with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JODpTlH_g1M

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-17-2009 at 02:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues