Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times

Advertisements

Being retired, my family has Tricare Prime.

Humana says they only will pay for flu shots through it's authorized sources, (Primary Care doc, base medical clinic, MinuteClinic etc...) The closest military facility to me is about 100 miles.

I've been calling my kids Primary Care doctor for weeks and they do not have nor do they know when they will have either the seasonal or H1N1 vaccines in. Even if they do get some, there are hundreds on a waiting list.

So I can go to Walgreens, CVS, etc.. and pay $24 or so. Double my co-pay cost. $24, is reasonable, but Tricare should lighten up it's rules and reimburse if you go to a commercial vendor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 10:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
We have several local hospitals here in the Albuquerque area which give free flu shots. We had to wait in line 44 minutes this year, usually it is less... (yes, I time my waits in line...). We even have drive-through flu shots at University of NM... I am on Tri-Care Prime retired also.

Check around your area.

Rich

Old 10-20-2009, 06:38 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
USNRET04 -
You were told that they will pay for the flu shots via your 'Primary Care doc'.

Since you are on Prime, you should have a PCP.

Why not just wait until your PCP has access to the shots and get it from him?

ET1(SS)
USN retired

Old 10-20-2009, 08:43 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
I paid the $25 out of my pocket. Wasn't worth the hassle to try to find out what Tricare's policy was and how to recoup the expense/pay for gas to get the shot. My nearest clinics are 25-45 min drives.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:54 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
I think this is going to be a tough season for getting shots. My civilian ped's office just ran out of shots for my older kids yesterday, two days before their scheduled appt for the flu shots. My husband told me he was told the base immunization office is doing high-risk people now, before him (regular active duty), and I wonder if they will even have any left by the time they get through high risk and AD. I remember about 5 years ago when there was a shortage, only my youngest at the time and my AD husband could get the shots on base.

My kids' ped does not know if she will be getting any more in (our county has a severe shortage of flu shots). I have to wait on the base immunization office to free up the doses for regular people if there are any left, and will see about getting my kids done there when I go for mine. I am planning on waiting to see how both situations pan out, but if it were really important to me to get those shots done, I'd consider coughing up the money to go to the drugstore clinic or trying to find a free flu shot opportunity like one of our local hospitals has (its a long wait in the drive thru line, but its free and available). People who normally would not get a flu shot are freaking out this year, and I am sure places are going to run out before everyone who wants one gets one.

It would be nice if Tricare would make an exception this year and cover it, but I think by the time they would come up with that plan, the supply of vaccinations would be gone.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I wish to respect the decision of each person whether they wish to get these flu shots or not.

I do hope that there will be enough vaccine for all folks who wish to get this round of flu shots.

I will not be getting it.

In our circle of friends and associates [Church, VFW, American Legion, Lodge, Commissary fellow-workers, etc] I do not know any who desire to get the shots this year.

A few are required to get them by their employers. But none are seeking the shots of their own free will.

Last edited by Submariner; 10-20-2009 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 10-22-2009, 01:29 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,626,870 times
Lightbulb PCP Referral

Since you mentioned, that you have Tricare Prime, I would recommend having your PCP submit a referral through Tricare Prime to send you to a place convenient for you and your family to get the flu shot. Just a thought! Sounds like Tricare Prime should change their rules to accommodate members such as yourself, that live quite a distance from a place where you would otherwise not need a referral.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:59 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Default Referral and Authorization Requirements Waived for H1N1 Flu Vaccine

TRICARE.mil Portal

Referral and Authorization Requirements Waived for H1N1 Flu Vaccine

The H1N1 flu vaccine is expected to be available in October 2009 and TRICARE is suspending referral and authorization requirements for TRICARE Prime beneficiaries allowing them to receive the vaccine from any TRICARE-authorized provider without a referral from their primary care manager. The requirement is suspended from October 1, 2009 - April 30, 2010.

* • For more information about preparing for flu season, visit the TRICARE Flu Resources Web site Flu Resources

* • For the latest information about the H1N1 flu virus, visit the DoD Pandemic Influenza Watchboard DoD Pandemic Influenza Watchboard - U.S. DoD Official Website

Rich

Old 10-29-2009, 10:55 AM

664 posts, read 1,946,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Being retired, my family has Tricare Prime.

Humana says they only will pay for flu shots through it's authorized sources, (Primary Care doc, base medical clinic, MinuteClinic etc...) The closest military facility to me is about 100 miles.

I've been calling my kids Primary Care doctor for weeks and they do not have nor do they know when they will have either the seasonal or H1N1 vaccines in. Even if they do get some, there are hundreds on a waiting list.

So I can go to Walgreens, CVS, etc.. and pay $24 or so. Double my co-pay cost. $24, is reasonable, but Tricare should lighten up it's rules and reimburse if you go to a commercial vendor.

Well our primary clinic is Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital here in Socal, and they hospital as a whole had run out of the "regular" flu shots....and people who are not elderly, young or have an immune disorder will not be getting them here as they will not have enough. And we are active duty miltiary and they are not available to us here. We have to go out in town and pay if we want one. I dislike this hospital here for many reasons and we are going to be seen out in town for now on.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:48 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
since you are so far from the closest base, why not switch to Standard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues