Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 09:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

Yeah, we had gone to the Everglades, and were driving back to Miami, but could not check into a hotel before his appt at the Miami VA, so he went straight to the clinic. I went with him, looking just as "good". We did not plan it that way, it just happened. Just an interesting mote I thought I would add.

We had also broken up because of some issues, and he decided to chill and do the program there, I think that also increased his percentage, it was a 90 day in-patient program. He had time to meet with DAV people, so that was beneficial too.

It is a lot of money, so if you can, do that program, I think it helped him too. He went straight from Kuwait as a soldier, to two weeks later back at his desk at work--that is not enough time to sort stuff out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 06:00 AM

5 posts, read 28,048 times
I went from the bush in 'Nam to a civilian in 3 days. We had nothing to sort out in those days because we didn't know any better, neither did the Army (or they just did not care). It just screwed us up for the next 40 years. Damage is done. We can't get back all those years that didn't have to be, understand why we want to kill ourselves sometimes ? Not just for what happened in 'Nam, but things we did when we got back that permanently wrecked our lives and we did not even realize.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:08 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
Redleg, it was mentioned in another post, get letters from your family, co-workers and anyone who served with you in Nam, the most important ones are from friends and family. Have them describe how your PTSD effects your life today, again, the VA isn't interested in 40 years ago, what their interested in is today. The reason for service members that may have served with you is to establish the conditions that have brought about your PTSD.
My first C&P exam I was rated at 30%, I contacted my VSO and then appealled the rating after another C&P exam it was then increased to 70% after that rating was established I filed for "unemployable" and went to another C&P exam and then I was granted "permanent and total" disability, what that means is that I'll never have to have another C&P exam again. It takes awhile, just be persistant and don't give up, remember this isn't a hand out, if you trully suffer form this due to combat related experiences then you deserve this.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:29 PM

5 posts, read 28,048 times
Thanks Bro,
I am in the process of that now. Tough to find anyone that knew me before and after. My current wife and step kids can only talk about how I am today, but that is what you said they want, how I'm doing today.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:39 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
If you are Nam, don't forget about Agent Orange, and health effects. That can combine with the PTSD, and go 100% SC.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:00 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,578 times
Group counseling for PTSD? Sounds like a good way to retraumatize everyone in the room.

Those battling PTSD may want to check out EMDR.

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a trauma therapy developed by psychologist Dr. Francine Shapiro that involves recalling a stressful past event and “reprogramming” the memory, while using rapid eye movements to facilitate the process.

It's been around for years. Lots of people swear by ti.

http://helpguide.org/mental/pdf/emdr.pdf (broken link) for more info.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:56 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
Group counseling for PTSD? Sounds like a good way to retraumatize everyone in the room.
No one in this thread said "Group counseling".

Even the Helpguide.org: Expert, ad-free articles help empower you with knowledge, support & hope. site you provided has several reccomendations regarding PTSD and counseling "If you’re a U.S. veteran suffering from PTSD or trauma, you can turn to your local VA hospital or Vet Center for help. Vet Centers offer free counseling to combat veterans and their families. To find out more about the resources."

Rich

Old 08-11-2011, 04:13 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
No one in this thread said "Group counseling".
Rich, there were several mentions of group treatment in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
My problem is that when you go to group for treatment there are so many "era vets" who weree traumatized because of what they saw on the evening news that it makes meaningful care impossible
In your view, is group treatment where people tell their stories different from group counseling?

Old 08-11-2011, 04:31 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Yep, don't have to be in combat to get PTSD. My shipmates weren't in combat when a steam leak happened killing ten engineers, 6 instantly and 4 later. Their friends were dressed out in firefighting suits and OBAs and sent in to get the bodies of their friends who were steam cooked (800 degree steam at 600 psi). I know they were effected. I arrived onboard about a month later and some of them were still screaming in their sleep. My case is pretty mild. Nearly drowned trying to remove a pump from below the deck plates of a minesweeper. Didn't realize how it effected me until I got a little chemical in my eyes at work and the ER began flushing my eyes with ice cold water. The time I nearly drowned was in winter and the sea water was very cold. Almost punched the nurse.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:39 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD is not just for those who have deployed. It's a severe anxiety disorder that can develop after exposure to any event that results in psychological trauma. It's not just for the military, but they certainly are put under stress. Children have been diagnosed with PTSD.
Thank you. And as one who legitimately does suffer from it, it is definitely not something to be taken lightly. It can cause a multitude of problems.

Those who are faking it, count their blessings that they don't know what it's REALLY like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues