Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:16 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I keep PTSD at bay by venting my frustration here on C-D and yelling out "serenity now!!!"
Funny - that is how I keep my insanity at bay when my husband is TDY and I have all four kids to myself to, ahem, enjoy.

It often looks more like the end of the episode where he is yelling "serenity now" and going nuts than the earlier part where it is calming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 03:35 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
As a retiree you are still eligible to receive VA disabilty compensation in addition to your retirement pay. Additionally you would be eligible for free medical care without paying any Tricare deductables
I do not pay any deductibles.

Quote:
,.... also not having any caps on mental health care.
We do not have any caps on our health care.

Quote:
... I am a retiree also and seek healthcare from both the VA and Tricare depending on what suits me best.
I can use Tricare here, however Tricare underwrites a local HMO called Martins Point. MP is connected in a statewide network of doctors, hospitals and clinics

It is all very seamless.

Or I have traveled, a few times and been treated on-base.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:48 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I do not pay any deductibles.

We do not have any caps on our health care.

I can use Tricare here, however Tricare underwrites a local HMO called Martins Point. MP is connected in a statewide network of doctors, hospitals and clinics

It is all very seamless.

Or I have traveled, a few times and been treated on-base.
Excuse me I meant copays.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:30 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Well, I know I'm different since I go out of the Army (ETS in 2001). I served 6 years (1995-2001). My temper is a problem these days (well, in the last 8 years), that's for sure. Just can't quite get used to this civilian life, you know (nobody comes in on time but you). That sucks and makes me mad sometimes. But I'm controlling it a lot better, in the last 4 months now, and have been sober since too. It's tough out here when your life was on a schedule and was structured everyday (for 6 years too).

I'm used to discipline, schedules, planning, and structure. You don't have any of that in the civilian world. People seem to run or walk around like a chicken with its head cut off out here. And sooner or later, I was becoming like that and nobody else liked it.

So my temper sometimes flies off the handle, in certain situations (like when someone is late, schedules change too often, and being spontaneous). I definitely can't be spontaneous much, because it was a reason why I started drinking when I became a civilian. "Hey let's go to a bar", used to be a favorite of mine (when I wanted to be too spontaneous).

I can't do that anymore, my day has to be planned and structured, for me. So, I stick to daily routines (I change a little bit, but not much everyday). It works out better and keeps me sober too.

Do you think I might have some of it?
No...ish. "I'm used to discipline, schedules, planning, and structure." I think that you're a creature of training and habit. You expect no more of others than what you expect of yourself. Corporate America demands that of its upper echelon and usually everyone down to the mail room clerk.

If you go to work every day, get some exercise, pay your bills, have a couple of friends, go out once in a while, visit your relatives, sleep at night and have a soft spot in your heart for old people and puppies or kittens... you'll survive.

Watch for the beast at the back door. I've known people to look, be fine for years before they had a problem. I can't imagine how much energy it took to stand guard at that gate...before they fell asleep on watch and the enemy came crashing through...

Old 12-17-2009, 07:59 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

Watch for the beast at the back door. I've known people to look, be fine for years before they had a problem. I can't imagine how much energy it took to stand guard at that gate...before they fell asleep on watch and the enemy came crashing through...
That happened to me after more than 30 years. Guess who "the beast" turned out to be?

It was me.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:20 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That happened to me after more than 30 years. Guess who "the beast" turned out to be?

It was me.
I know... I've met the beast, lived to walk away... not sure of the score.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:28 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I know... I've met the beast, lived to walk away... not sure of the score.

Me too. Better yet, the poor innocent stranger the beast turned on lived to walk away too. If not, I'd be in prison right now, where I should be.

Score: VA/Jesus Christ-100; Beast-0.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:16 PM

Default VA prepares to ease rules for PTSD claims

Good news for veterans that suffer from PTSD but can not prove the specific traumatic event that caused it.

VA prepares to ease rules for PTSD claims - Army News, news from Iraq, - Army Times

Old 07-08-2010, 10:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I have coped with a mild case PTSD for over forty years. I think I'll keep on coping.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:48 AM

If you can cope with it and it doesn't effect your quality of life that's good. If it ever becomes a problem medical care and benefits are available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues