Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,730 times

Advertisements

Hello..I have a question. Im 19 years of age and i wanna join the Air Force but i havent spoke with a recruiter yet..but i wanna be able to join and still have active duty orders and also get me an apartment and be able to go to school you know. be enlisted and still have a normal life..How long is it going to take before i can do that? do i need to be in the Air Force National Guard or Air Force Reserves. Can someone explain the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 02:07 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,219,178 times
Your questions are too vague. eg I don't know what you mean by "active duty orders" or "a normal life." Suggest you talk to a recruiter.....

Old 06-06-2010, 09:09 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,340,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyanandcolbi View Post
Hello..I have a question. Im 19 years of age and i wanna join the Air Force but i havent spoke with a recruiter yet..but i wanna be able to join and still have active duty orders and also get me an apartment and be able to go to school you know. be enlisted and still have a normal life..How long is it going to take before i can do that? do i need to be in the Air Force National Guard or Air Force Reserves. Can someone explain the difference.

To the OP: I don't know anything about guard or reserve, but both have inservice recruiters. Talk to one. And have you thought about crosstraining?

To Kyanandcolbi. You will go to basic training for 8.5 weeks and live in a giant room with 30 other guys. Then you will go to tech training where you will live in a dorm room, most likely with 1 room mate. After that (the length varies), you will go to your permanent base. At your base, you will work a regular job, and have no curfew, can have a car, can live a totally normal life, as if you just had a job (unless you deploy of course). You will have to live in a dorm room at your first base until you make it to E-4, unless you get married. The dorms are a little different on each base, but in almost all of them you have your own bedroom, and share a living room, kitchen, bathroom.

Some active duty jobs have long hours, like 12 hour days, some have cake hours, like 6 hour days... just depends. But when you are off work, you wear you own clothes, and do whatever the heck you want, as long as you don't break laws. It's just like a regular job, but you can get deployed, can't get fired (short of breaking laws), and have a lot of great benefits.
See What It's Like in the United States Air Force - AirForce.com

Old 06-07-2010, 09:35 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,665,444 times
Wow, AFTAM, you have a lot to learn.

First of all, why would you laugh at an E-6 who has been in for 19 years? I worked with an E-7 who had a Master's Degree. It happens. YOU are the one who turns "NCO" or even "NCOs" into "NCO's." You do realize the apostrophe makes it possessive, right? You are also the one who uses "youve" instead of "you've," and actually said "conversating." That is not even a word, Airman. Perhaps you meant "conversing." I'll bet a lot of 19-year Technical Sergeants could have spotted that nonsense.

I was a sharp Airman like you who decided to separate. I got out, got two degrees, and have done well. I still do not think, however, that I know more than those 19-year NCO. My wife is an officer in the Air National Guard and she will be the first to tell you the NCO are an extremely valuable part of the unit. I actually know a two-star general who will tell you the same thing.

Wow, you worked on the flight line. We are all very impressed. Now get over yourself and be a team player. Those 19-year Technical Sergeants might be the ones saving your ass one day!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,338 times
If you go Air Guard and land a full time position you will make about $28 per hour, you will not be as bad off as you think.....Guard is normally 8 hours a day, 8 turn 6 or 6 turn 6. You will find the pace much better than active. Good Luck....Crew Dog Retired.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,548,469 times
Welcome, Harley 43!!! Great to have a fellow Chock Kicker on the forum! (We've also got maintainers from the other services, as well!)

Old 01-02-2011, 02:26 AM

5,052 posts, read 6,357,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTAM View Post
Apply to go to school at Caltech.
You have the intelligence to get into Caltech? Why the heck are we even conversating?

Old 07-05-2011, 04:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,140 times
Whiteman Afb in Missouri would be the best for you. I know you want Cali, but Whiteman is the best place to get your foot in the door and then transfer later to Cali if you still want to. Dont think you will though. I am a Air Guard out of St Joseph Mo.Do the palace chase thing. At Whiteman you can join the Air Force Reserves or the Guard they have both. They Have A-10 and the B2 If you want anymore help email me. [email]kbrown4289@aol.com[/email]. I know what you mean about being away from your wife. I on a 4 month TDY and it is very hard. Dont let anyone kid you.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:31 AM

2 posts, read 6,140 times
Join the Air Force Reserves or Guard first see how you like it and then go Active later if you want.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 2,975 times
Hey bud, the Osan assignment wasn't really that bad...I was am however a heavy crew chief and when stationed in Osan I was part of T.A. (Transient Alert). I wasn't married at the time so I had to stay in the dorms (which were not bad). Yes we had to play in the exercise every three months but other than that it wasn't bad. I got to learn a new language and talk with the people (whom honestly were nice and loved Americans.) When I did marry my wife, I started getting Married BAH for where she is and more money(which was nice). We both sucked it up while I was there and after a year I left to come to McChord AFB. I learned from the military that she could have actually came with me but if she did I would have had to sign on for three years in Korea instead of one for single people. If you do go to Korea I highly recommend you to do one thing....Keep away from Soju, that stuff will f*** anyone up, I personally never drank the stuff but I've had friends who went off base every night and drank and got into trouble every weekend:-( Moral of my post is, suck it up, go do a year tour in Korea, get a plaque and a litho and come back to the states and be happy:-)

I tried to retrain in another career field a year ago and was accepted in Special Missions Aviation but they closed my case due to inactivity all because I was waiting on my medical to get done which got done a 8 months later after I put in for retraining. Now I have a Flying Class III Certificate for aviation but still a maintainer:-/ haha

I signed up for 6 years myself and next year 2016 will be my 7th year since I extended a year in Korea. I have 9 months left on my clock before i get out and I too (like you) am wondering which is better to do- Guard or Reserve. I still want to be in but in a different career field. I went through TAPS(while in Korea) and I was told that changing jobs through Guard and Reserve is soooooooo much more simpler than through Active duty. We just have to tell the Guard Recruiter what jobs we want (I want Boom Operator or Load Toad or any flight crew slot they got) and in what location and if there is a job available then we got it. We just have to wait till our time in up while in Active Duty, and then go straight to our base to start our Guard position. I told me wife that I would be deployed but only for 3 months instead of AD which is 6 months and she was cool with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues