Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:01 PM

191 posts, read 693,159 times

Advertisements

My BS is in comp sci and I already have a job picked out. I see the NROTC program would have been great but I was not ready for a 6-8 year commitment after graduating high school. I talked to a local recruiter and he said that I should talk to someone else about officer careers. Anyone know how long it takes from talking to a recruiter to actually being in the Navy (i.e. the Navy is providing you housing and such)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 08:51 PM

460 posts, read 988,321 times
I was an officer in the Navy, but my information may be somewhat dated, because I've been out for many years.

Generally speaking, as an office candidate, you will go into the Navy with a basic guarantee for training within a specific career field. The Navy will recruit you for your potential ability to do a specific job, and therefore, you can be sure they are going to train you to do it. For instance, when they recruit people to be Naval Aviators, it's because they need Naval Aviators. If they don't need Naval Aviators, then they won't recruit anyone for that job. They are not going to say "Join the Navy, and we'll figure out what to do with you, later."

First, of course, you will attend OCS. If you successfully receive your commission, you will then report to school for training in your specific career field. And finally, if you successfully complete your training, you will go to "the fleet" to work in your particular Naval career field. But, if you flunk out of any phase of training, all bets are off. If you bust out of OCS, you will, in all likely hood, simply be discharged from the Navy. If you have received your commission, but bust out of training in your specific career field, the Navy will then use you where ever they need you. Or, once again, they may simply discharge you. It's up to the needs of the Navy. An Officer recruiter can tell you more specifically about the exact commitments, under various situations. And you do want to talk to an Officer recruiter.

From the day I walked into the recruiters office, to the day I was in Pensacola (AOCS) getting my head shaved, was 5 weeks. But that was back when Reagan was in office, and we were building up to a 600 ship Navy (and we almost made it, too). I have no idea how long the process is now.

I do agree with chucksnee, that learning from the senior NCOs is essential. There is often a tendency, in the Navy, for a Chief Petty Officer to want to take a new Ensign under his wing, as if to say: "Stick with me kid, and I'll show you how it's done." My advise, is to let them do exactly that. Having a good Chief around, is the best thing that can happen to a new Ensign.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:50 PM

191 posts, read 693,159 times
Thanks for the reply, Muonic. You emphasized "training", does that mean they will train you for a position but not necessarily give you the position when you're done?

Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Mustang View Post
Thanks for the reply, Muonic. You emphasized "training", does that mean they will train you for a position but not necessarily give you the position when you're done?

"Needs of the service". They're pretty good at predicting what is needed but sometimes you don't get exactly what you thought you would. Look at it this way:training anyone for the military is expensive so it's to the advantage of the Navy to not make mistakes. Back when Muonic and I went through AOCS (early 80s) it cost north of $1M to train an aviator to fleet deployment and the Navy doesn't like to waste money.
As with anything your scores in training will be one factor determining your assignment.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:50 AM

460 posts, read 988,321 times
You need to understand, that the Navy is not out to trick you. If they recruit you for a specific career field, it's because they need you for that particular field. They want you to be happy about being in the Navy. They want you to be excited about doing your job. They know, that, if they "hose you" by placing you in a job that you don't want, you will not be very productive. Having disgruntled sailors in the Navy doesn't do anyone any good. Sure, the needs of the Navy will always come first. And yeah, it's possible you could join up, and then find your chosen career field has closed out, and the Navy needs to put you into a different career path. But that is very unlikely. Once you train for a specific job, then you can be pretty darn sure that's the field you are going to work in. The Navy does NOT want to send you back for training in a second career field, because it is expensive and a wasteful. And as NBP said, the Navy does not like to waste money.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:03 AM

522 posts, read 1,856,056 times
Do officers have the Delayed Entry Program like Enlisted?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:06 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
Do officers have the Delayed Entry Program like Enlisted?
I don't believe so, the DEP was originally aimed at high school kids so they could enlist prior to graduation.

Not saying there won't be a delay for officers shipping after enlistment, sometimes lengthy.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:35 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
If you go this route, do keep in mind what Muonic said about the Chief Petty Officers. Closest I ever came to being a Navy officer was as a civilian "crab" EOOW at S1W (Nautilus Prototype) - but when I started the practical in-plant training, it was immediately crystal clear to me the CPOs knew how that damn thing worked better than the O-gangers ever did or ever would. Senior officers know some large-scale leadership things that the CPOs don't know, but (and same in all 4 branches I would think) the junior officer needs to learn from the senior enlisted people.

I always gave these guys the respect they deserved and had earned the hard way, and we got along real good. We kept our professional roles straight while on the job, a lot of these guys I hunted and fished with on offtime though.

Frequently in my career in the nuclear industry I have frequently been a "degreed mouthpiece" for senior crafts people, (who are for all practical purposes the CPOs of the civilian nuclear "fleet") or doing a quick calc to support what they knew from experience was, if not the very best possible answer, at least a good answer that could be implemented without running afoul of the "critical path" during an outage. If you already savvy why this is important you are ahead of the game, if not, experience will make this clear to you soon enough.

Both in the military world (as I understand it from reading and talking to people, never lived there!) and in the world of nuclear power generation (I *did* live there a while!) frequently a good plan implemented immediately trumps a better plan that would take too long to get into action.

Your senior enlisted people know these practical shortcuts that can save your rear.

Don't try to make them your boss, but do make them your (particularly technical) mentors!

Old 04-17-2014, 05:41 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,860 times
Default Please offer advice about joining the Navy as an officer...

I am a 31 year old female and I just completed my second masters degree. I hold an MPA (Public Administration) and an MS of Information Technology.

I am struggling to find work and this has been an issue for roughly 3 years in Los Angeles. I have worked low paying temporary jobs, cleaning homes, and very entry level administrative work to keep afloat and now I am finally tired. I feel like I am at my wits end;completely demoralized, and out of answers. I cannot afford my bills or to live a half way decent life.

I am looking to relocate as soon as I find a job offer, but I am at a point where I do not want to experience any more of this ever again. I do not want to go through another 3 years of not getting anywhere. All I want is a position where I can be paid for my skills and have some dignity and stability. I worked for a government contractor for 6 years and I really enjoyed the the pride from doing contracted work in national security. So I figured, the military may be an option for me.

I have put off the idea of joining the military in the past, but today I went into speak to a Navy recruiter and he advised me to go the officer route first. So, I am due to speak to an officer recruiter soon to get the ball rolling.

I do not know what is involved in joining the military, how long the process takes, and more than anything I am worried that I will never be able to settle down or have a family because I don't know how long I will be stationed in each place. I feel as though I will be all alone on this journey, and to be honest, I am frightened.

If you can offer any advice at all for the officer process and time frame, stability, being able to meet someone while enlisted, and anything you feel will be helpful information I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:53 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,495 times
Do you like the water? Keep in mind you could be on a ship for long deployments. Don't limit yourself to one branch; talk to the other recruiters also. Proud Army wife of a retire Soldier, and we met while he was still active-duty. Plenty of opportunities for meeting people! Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues