Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:38 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times

Advertisements

Agreed. I work in one of the perimeter companies around the Chicago Executive Airport (ex-Palwaukee airport) and my commute from Milwaukee is fairly orderly. I rarely meet anyone obstructing the left lane, and I don't waste much time so I often occupy it. Even the 94 between the state line and Milwaukee is not too bad. People are somewhat proficient at freeway driving and seem to know what to do. There are the occasional people who do not. In and around Milwaukee there are some people who don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 11:05 PM

76 posts, read 110,292 times
[quote=quijote;15935780]As far as I'm concerned, as long as drivers in the left lane are going at the posted maximum MPH, I don't have an issue.

HEREIN LIES THE PROBLEM, THIS POSTERS THINKING! UNFORTUNATELY, IT IS THE SAME THINKING OF MOST DRIVERS IN WI. THE LEFT LANE IS NOT, I REPEAT, IS NOT A DRIVING LANE...IT IS INTENDED FOR PASSING...IT IS THE PASSING LANE...PERIOD.
IF YOU ARE NOT PASSING ANYONE, THEN GET OUT OF THE PASSING LANE.
IF YOU ARE IN THE PASSING LANE, GOING 100 MPH, AND I AM BEHIND YOU GOING 101 MILES PER HOUR...YOU ARE NO LONGER PASSING AND DRIVING TO SLOW...SO GET OUT OF THE PASSING LANE!!! IT HAS NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH SPEED...IT IS NOT "THE FAST LANE"...IT IS NOT THE "LEFT LANE"...IT IS THE PASSING LANE...ONLY!! ALSO, PEOPLE WHO FLASH THEIR LIGHTS AT YOU ARE NOT BEING RUDE!! READ YOUR CAR MANUEL, THIS FEATURE ON YOUR TURN SIGNAL IS REFERED TO AS... "FLASH TO PASS"...ITS IN MOST EVERY CAR MANUEL I HAVE EVER READ!!
THE ONLY EXCEPTION TO USING THE PASSING LANE AS A DRIVING LANE IS DURING RUSH HOUR WHEN ALL THREE LANES ARE NEEDED, OR, IF THE FREEWAY IS DEAD WITH NO TRAFFUC!!
I WISH A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENT ON THIS FORUM WOULD WEIGH IN ON THIS ONE, BUT I DO THINK IM RIGHT, IMO.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:59 AM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultracorp View Post
It even bothers me when people are doing 60 in the left lane I mean come on its dry pavement and I don't want to spend half my life in my car.

You're not spending half your life in your car,the difference is a few minutes at most. A 25 mile trip at 60 mph will take 25 minutes and at 70 mph it will take 21.4 minutes. So you are wasting your time and energy getting upset over 3 and a half mintues at the most. Compare this to the huge amount of time wasted posting on internet forums!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:40 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,315,765 times
[quote=MrBeluksee;15954414]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
As far as I'm concerned, as long as drivers in the left lane are going at the posted maximum MPH, I don't have an issue.

HEREIN LIES THE PROBLEM, THIS POSTERS THINKING! UNFORTUNATELY, IT IS THE SAME THINKING OF MOST DRIVERS IN WI. THE LEFT LANE IS NOT, I REPEAT, IS NOT A DRIVING LANE...IT IS INTENDED FOR PASSING...IT IS THE PASSING LANE...PERIOD.
IF YOU ARE NOT PASSING ANYONE, THEN GET OUT OF THE PASSING LANE.
IF YOU ARE IN THE PASSING LANE, GOING 100 MPH, AND I AM BEHIND YOU GOING 101 MILES PER HOUR...YOU ARE NO LONGER PASSING AND DRIVING TO SLOW...SO GET OUT OF THE PASSING LANE!!! IT HAS NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH SPEED...IT IS NOT "THE FAST LANE"...IT IS NOT THE "LEFT LANE"...IT IS THE PASSING LANE...ONLY!! ALSO, PEOPLE WHO FLASH THEIR LIGHTS AT YOU ARE NOT BEING RUDE!! READ YOUR CAR MANUEL, THIS FEATURE ON YOUR TURN SIGNAL IS REFERED TO AS... "FLASH TO PASS"...ITS IN MOST EVERY CAR MANUEL I HAVE EVER READ!!
THE ONLY EXCEPTION TO USING THE PASSING LANE AS A DRIVING LANE IS DURING RUSH HOUR WHEN ALL THREE LANES ARE NEEDED, OR, IF THE FREEWAY IS DEAD WITH NO TRAFFUC!!
I WISH A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENT ON THIS FORUM WOULD WEIGH IN ON THIS ONE, BUT I DO THINK IM RIGHT, IMO.
Yes, you're right and I agree, the left lane is primarily a passing lane, though functionally that's not always the case (ever been on I-94 or I-43 during rush hour? Ever realize that some turn-offs are on the left side of a highway?). But the "passing lane" concept applies to 55 MPHers (or whatever the legal maximum is) passing slower drivers on the right as well as to people driving 70 MPH passing 55 MPHers.

BTW, most drivers don't flash to pass anymore--it seems that they just tailgate these days.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:00 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Wow, I'm definitely not looking forward to having to drive around on the interstates with you speed demons when we move up there in November. Here in Florida, we have our share of idiots who like to go 90+ (our speed limits are generally 70 on the interstate) but they're the ones getting tickets and getting into accidents. Mind you, they will probably kill the passengers in another car if they were to hit one, and this is something people who like to drive fast don't even think about. They *think* they have total control over their cars, well, they're called "accidents" for a reason! Not to be rude but if you wanna drive that much over the speed limit, go drive on the German autobahn and get it out of your system, then come back and drive through Wisconsin.

I also think you all should be a little more lenient with the people who are merging. GET OVER to the middle lane and quit ******ing about having to slow down...don't drive in the right lane when approaching an on ramp if you don't feel like moving over or slowing down. This is how accidents happen, if you're in someone's way when they need to merge, slow down, speed up or get over. Otherwise the person will have to slam on their brakes to avoid running off the road, something that really sucks when you're trying to get up to speed, not to mention that it could cause an accident for YOU, too. Being a d!ck doesn't make you look cool, it makes you look like a fool. Haha, that rhymes. Maybe you'll all remember that when you're speeding around thinking you rule the road.

And I think a little forgiveness should be given to the people who get confused at the lights that tell you when to enter the interstate merging section. I've driven through my share of big cities but I've NEVER seen these things. I was already turned around trying to get back to the airport and I was on the phone with my husband trying to figure out where I was going, then I went to merge onto a different section of road and there's this stupid light. I've never seen anything like it and it was red, so using common sense, I stopped. I had a whole line of cars that started honking at me immediately, even before I was stopped. I started crying out of frustration and that just made it worse b/c I guess I didn't see when the light had changed to green. I was in a rental car that I hated driving, lost, trying to get directions, going from one interstate to another and there's this strange light and now I have people honking at me. I know many of you reading this would do the same thing but consider the situation next time before you do it. Or, just go around if you don't like it.

The problem here is that many drivers lack courtesy and start getting angry when the situation doesn't go as they want. Instead of tailgating, swerving around someone while flicking a bird, honking incessantly, or otherwise acting like a jerk, try a little patience. Pass the person politely, let people in, get over. Or here's a thought, follow the speed limit!

*gets off soapbox*

Old 09-20-2010, 03:13 PM

174 posts, read 524,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Wow, I'm definitely not looking forward to having to drive around on the interstates with you speed demons when we move up there in November. Here in Florida, we have our share of idiots who like to go 90+ (our speed limits are generally 70 on the interstate) but they're the ones getting tickets and getting into accidents. Mind you, they will probably kill the passengers in another car if they were to hit one, and this is something people who like to drive fast don't even think about. They *think* they have total control over their cars, well, they're called "accidents" for a reason! Not to be rude but if you wanna drive that much over the speed limit, go drive on the German autobahn and get it out of your system, then come back and drive through Wisconsin.

I also think you all should be a little more lenient with the people who are merging. GET OVER to the middle lane and quit ******ing about having to slow down...don't drive in the right lane when approaching an on ramp if you don't feel like moving over or slowing down. This is how accidents happen, if you're in someone's way when they need to merge, slow down, speed up or get over. Otherwise the person will have to slam on their brakes to avoid running off the road, something that really sucks when you're trying to get up to speed, not to mention that it could cause an accident for YOU, too. Being a d!ck doesn't make you look cool, it makes you look like a fool. Haha, that rhymes. Maybe you'll all remember that when you're speeding around thinking you rule the road.

And I think a little forgiveness should be given to the people who get confused at the lights that tell you when to enter the interstate merging section. I've driven through my share of big cities but I've NEVER seen these things. I was already turned around trying to get back to the airport and I was on the phone with my husband trying to figure out where I was going, then I went to merge onto a different section of road and there's this stupid light. I've never seen anything like it and it was red, so using common sense, I stopped. I had a whole line of cars that started honking at me immediately, even before I was stopped. I started crying out of frustration and that just made it worse b/c I guess I didn't see when the light had changed to green. I was in a rental car that I hated driving, lost, trying to get directions, going from one interstate to another and there's this strange light and now I have people honking at me. I know many of you reading this would do the same thing but consider the situation next time before you do it. Or, just go around if you don't like it.

The problem here is that many drivers lack courtesy and start getting angry when the situation doesn't go as they want. Instead of tailgating, swerving around someone while flicking a bird, honking incessantly, or otherwise acting like a jerk, try a little patience. Pass the person politely, let people in, get over. Or here's a thought, follow the speed limit!

*gets off soapbox*

You'll be fine in WI. Cheeseheads typically follow the speed limit. Down here in Illinois, especially in Chicago, it varies. The right land vs. the left lane is often a difference of 20-30 mph. However, Chicago/Illinois drivers are friendly. They are aggressive, but they rarely give you the bird or anything like that unless their really angry.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:30 PM

167 posts, read 315,614 times
On the freeway you can fix a lot of merging problems with the gas pedal. Using the brakes just screws everyone up.

If ya have to slow down, please just coast. Once you start illuminating the filaments in you brake lights, a line of 15 idiots around you will do the same and 10 minutes later you will see a traffic jam there. On a perfectly dry, clear, sunny and otherwise beautiful day for driving.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:10 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
LOL. The red light at the on ramp does in fact mean that you are supposed to stop. Does nobody stop for these anymore? We have them in Phoenix as well and everyone lines up like good little boys and girls.

Keep in mind that many Milwaukeeans never leave Milwaukee. I have met people who have not been to Chicago until they were in their 20s. There exists a small town mentality when it comes to driving (and other things). A three minute delay is cause for frustration. People begin seeking alternate routes. In reality, a 25 minute drive at 3am takes 35 minutes during rush hour. Sure, it's frustrating, but people lack a little perspective.

On that note, once you move to the Milwaukee area, don't be surprised if someone inquires about the high school from which you graduated. It's not a transient metropolitan area, although some areas do have a much higher transient population.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:18 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
LOL. The red light at the on ramp does in fact mean that you are supposed to stop. Does nobody stop for these anymore? We have them in Phoenix as well and everyone lines up like good little boys and girls.

Keep in mind that many Milwaukeeans never leave Milwaukee. I have met people who have not been to Chicago until they were in their 20s. There exists a small town mentality when it comes to driving (and other things). A three minute delay is cause for frustration. People begin seeking alternate routes. In reality, a 25 minute drive at 3am takes 35 minutes during rush hour. Sure, it's frustrating, but people lack a little perspective.

On that note, once you move to the Milwaukee area, don't be surprised if someone inquires about the high school from which you graduated. It's not a transient metropolitan area, although some areas do have a much higher transient population.
Good Points, I go to Chicago a lot and I think because of this I don't mind any traffic jams unless I am behind schedule but that's rare. I hear people complain about MKE traffic and I laugh out loud. Most of the complaining is from my suburban friends and out of towners from the GB area.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:59 PM

4 posts, read 18,514 times
I saw on yahoo the other day that Wisconsin and Idaho are tied for the best driving states in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee