Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,666 times

Advertisements

We are an AA lesbian married couple living in Boston. We are thinking of relocating to Milwaukee for work and would like to know about good neighborhhoods to consider. We would prefer somewhere that is within walking distance to entertainment, shopping and cultural activities. We would love to rent a house with a yard for our 2 small dogs, any suggestions on which areas to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:38 PM

77 posts, read 252,971 times
South 76th St and Layton area in the Greenfield/Milwaukee region is my best offer

Old 08-09-2011, 01:58 PM

158 posts, read 485,822 times
Shorewood, East side, Riverwest - all diverse, accepting, and with decent housing stock

Old 08-09-2011, 02:20 PM

711 posts, read 1,688,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakpoint View Post
South 76th St and Layton area in the Greenfield/Milwaukee region is my best offer
What exactly is that within walking distance to? I'm not 100% familiar with that area.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:40 AM

358 posts, read 450,888 times
Bay View would also be a good option.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 AM

709 posts, read 656,462 times
Just FYI, you aren't going to be married anymore coming to WI. Well, you still will be I suppose, but this state isn't going to recognize it.

We do have a limited domestic partnership system in place, but it appears that you will have to file for it in the county in which you reside.

Not sure if this even matters to you, just wanted to let you know

Old 08-13-2011, 02:11 AM

20 posts, read 81,195 times
Not sure what your work is, but some domestic partnership benefits laws have recently changed in the city...

The more progressive neighborhoods including downtown($$$) and the surrounding areas to the north and south are great options, and open-minded I'll include maps links.. click the neighborhoods.

To the north of downtown is the lower east side($$$-$$). Check out the area here around Brady St, perhaps. The upper east side($$), coming from downtown, along the lakefront wraps 3/4 around a university campus, and is bordered by Shorewood($) to the north and the river to the west. Riverwest($), just west of the east side, and across the milwaukee river is diverse and offers apartments and flats.

The 3rd ward & 5th ward (Walker's Point)($$$-$$) to the south of downtown offer urban loft and condo living and are also friendly. Bayview($), a few minutes further south, is a more working-class neighborhood, with duplexes/flats and apartments.

If you want to be within walking distance of "everything," downtown, the east side, riverwest, and the 3rd and 5th wards are your best bet. The plethora of parks and the connectivity to bike paths and parks to other parks is enough reason for me to stay in this area of the city. The riverfront and lakefront are a delight to explore, and the festivals and events during the summer are innumerable. Bayview is just a few minutes removed, but still close enough.

Those neighborhoods in particular will be the most friendly if you want to be in the city and live within walking distance of amenities. Also, even ($$$) is pretty affordable and not definitive. There are great and affordable options everywhere Just wanted to put it in a relative sense.

Where is your job, and do you plan to drive? This would also make suggestions easier.

Last edited by D-res; 08-13-2011 at 02:44 AM..

Old 08-21-2011, 12:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,833 times
Dont listen to breakpoint , his suggestion is sarcastic and mean.

My siggestion, East Side, period.And Madison would be better.

East side is anywhere north of downtown east of the Milwaukee River up to Whitefish Bay. People in this area of town are open freindly positive and tolerant. The area is pushing west into a more dangerous african-american/ white mix part of the community called Riverwest, where rents are moremuch more affordable, but require more street smarts on weekend nights. Parking is a hassle in both these areas, if you park on the street every night, a break in may happen from time to time. None the less, thousands love the East Side and Riverwest and consider it the strongest liberal stronghold in the Milwaukee metro. You will not find more positive vibes anywhere else in the area if your liberal. Street festivals are held every few weeks in the summer on Brady or North Ave that overflow with positive tolerant vibes.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:04 PM

20 posts, read 81,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee505 View Post
Dont listen to breakpoint , his suggestion is sarcastic and mean.

My siggestion, East Side, period.And Madison would be better.

East side is anywhere north of downtown east of the Milwaukee River up to Whitefish Bay. People in this area of town are open freindly positive and tolerant. The area is pushing west into a more dangerous african-american/ white mix part of the community called Riverwest, where rents are moremuch more affordable, but require more street smarts on weekend nights. Parking is a hassle in both these areas, if you park on the street every night, a break in may happen from time to time. None the less, thousands love the East Side and Riverwest and consider it the strongest liberal stronghold in the Milwaukee metro. You will not find more positive vibes anywhere else in the area if your liberal. Street festivals are held every few weeks in the summer on Brady or North Ave that overflow with positive tolerant vibes.
To clarify, parking in Riverwest is NOT an issue. Unlike the East Side across the river, there is almost no parking regulations save for the city-wide overnight parking reg, and on-street parking is almost never a hassle. On the East Side it's a little more hectic.

Even though Riverwest gets a bad wrap for being dangerous, I had my car broken into 3 times living on the east side (don't leave the faceplate for your CD deck in overnight) I've never had problems in Riverwest. Not once. The sense of community in Riverwest is very strong, and everyone watches out for one another.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:19 AM

15 posts, read 59,425 times
So right east SE side.3 rd ward area is more primitive, but the best way to go. WI is still a conservative slow to get with the times in many areas. I he that in my lifetime two gay people can walk down a street anywhere in WI and not be stared at. Good luck to you both.
Straight, but rooting for love in all forms.The Burbs, WI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee