Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,411 times

Advertisements

Its true and I admit it.

Every time I see a shady looking black guy I just walk faster and ignore him...It seems like everyone who is young and professional living in east side is the same way.

The sad thing is when I look at places to shop / eat / workout / or any social activity, I look up this image that I have stored on my computer.

All sizes | Race and ethnicity 2010: Milwaukee | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/5559895075/sizes/o/in/set-72157626354149574/ - broken link)

And then avoid anywhere blue, its pretty bad. In fact, most of my driving is done via the waterway and then up the freeway to get around "the hood".

I've never felt unsafe in all the other places i've lived in, had a couple of black friends including some "hood" people.

Maybe its just my imagination catching up to me! Anyone have a suggestion how to cure the paranoia?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 10:29 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwiw View Post
Its true and I admit it.

Every time I see a shady looking black guy I just walk faster and ignore him...It seems like everyone who is young and professional living in east side is the same way.

The sad thing is when I look at places to shop / eat / workout / or any social activity, I look up this image that I have stored on my computer.

All sizes | Race and ethnicity 2010: Milwaukee | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/5559895075/sizes/o/in/set-72157626354149574/ - broken link)

And then avoid anywhere blue, its pretty bad. In fact, most of my driving is done via the waterway and then up the freeway to get around "the hood".

I've never felt unsafe in all the other places i've lived in, had a couple of black friends including some "hood" people.

Maybe its just my imagination catching up to me! Anyone have a suggestion how to cure the paranoia?!
Maybe the problem is that you are in Milwaukee. Last time I checked, alot of middle class, educated Black people have been leaving Wisconsin. Atlanta, on the other hand, has a much higher proportion of middle class and professional class African-Americans and there are actually a few predominantly Black neighborhoods that I can't afford to live in because they are affluent and not "hood" as you describe.

Last edited by green_mariner; 09-28-2011 at 10:37 PM..

Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
I think it's just you and has no reflection on the city. After black people are not indigenous to Milwaukee County. The more time you spend in and around shady areas you will become used to said area. I felt nervous the first time I set foot in Harlem but after a week there it all went away.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:38 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,031 times
How do you define - "Shady", what is the line between shady and not shady. How can I tell the difference between the two. Is there a group of completely shady, a little shady and O.K. Please explain.

I guess it is what your accustom to. I work in the inner city neighborhoods of Milwaukee spending a great deal of time in distressed homes and blocks. I also live on the upper east side and to be honest I worry more about drunk UWM students than I do shady black guys from the north side.

With this being said on occasion drunken students do get targeted by inner city youth. This is a problem I believe is brought on by the students by their irresponsible drunken behavior. They make themselves easy targets and criminals take advantage of this.

Atlanta has it's share of rough neighborhoods, just like Milwaukee.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:21 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Shady is whatever someone thinks is shady even if it's not shady, it's obviously subjective.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:59 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
Just force yourself to explore and do business in areas where black people and other minorities live, work, and shop. Get groceries at Aldi and Outpost on Capitol Drive (and at the Outpost, get something at the deli and chat with other customers); check out the Fond du Lac farmers market, which runs all year long; eat at Jake's (1634 W. North), Henry and Bobbi's Bungalow (3466 N. 14th); Mr. Perkins (2001 W. Atkinson) and other restaurants that have a significant black clientele; explore neighborhoods like Sherman Park and Riverwest; explore areas populated by other racial and ethnic groups, too, like southside. Just force yourself to leave the bubble, and you'll probably be glad you did.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:29 AM

158 posts, read 486,033 times
All great advice - its about getting comfortable with things that are new to you.
As far as shady, my dog knows. He will growl at sketchy people as we walk - ignoring many folks of all color/gender/socioeconomic status, then there'll be one that he doesn't like - and they really do seem to have something weird about the way they are watching me.
So I'm trying to get that sense as well!!

Old 09-30-2011, 01:37 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Shady is whatever someone thinks is shady even if it's not shady, it's obviously subjective.
Perhaps he means large, casting a big shadow, hence "Shady".

Old 10-03-2011, 08:54 AM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times
I'm white, I go anywhere in the city (often) without "avoiding areas". Never once had a problem. Even getting gas on 20th & Center in my Audi. :]

Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
I don't think it's Milwaukee that made you racist, it sounds more like culture shock. I can't imagine you feeling any different if you were in Black areas in Chicago either.

In general if someone is shady I steer clear. There are plenty of white wierdos running around that make me want to cross the street as well.

Bottom line is that in a bigger city you have more crazies running around and if you are in a predominantly X type neighborhood, the majority of the shady people you will see will be of said group.

It is true that MKE seems to be lacking a solid, large middle class African American community, but at the same time there still are plenty of educated Blacks that are just like everyone else.

Don't let stereotypes or paranoia get the best of you. Just use common sense and don't view people through race but through their actions. Then you will see MKE is like most Northern cities regarding social issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee