Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 10:16 AM

911 posts, read 2,154,685 times

Advertisements

me and my family are moving to Milwaukee between June and July. we have 5 kids under 10 years old. we are looking for a nice, middle class area to raise our kids in, where there is plenty of culture, the crime isn't terrible, area parks, and walking distance to, say, convenience stores, coffee shops, places to eat, etc. we love to ride our bikes, so parks and safety is important.

other than that, i was wondering about:

what there is to do with kids in milwaukee...

thoughts on safety in the city...

any personal experience with 1st Act childrens theatre...

the transit system...

which hospitals do you think are best?

and any other info i should know! lol

we're moving from a small town so we're kinda overwhelmed with the thought lol

so any info is good info!

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 11:29 AM

709 posts, read 656,397 times
Are you dead set on the city, or just the metro area?

As far as the city, there are several neighborhoods that would fit your criteria, but you do have to do your homework as there are a lot of bad areas of the city. There are also several suburbs that would fit for you.

Not sure about what to do with kids, since I don't have any.

Transit is ok I guess, just busses, and it certainly has its' flaws. It is, however, the most efficient system of its' size in the country.

Hospitals are all pretty good. Only major trauma center in the city is Froedtert in Wauwatosa. St. Lukes is on the south side; well known for their heart care.

Safety in the city is hit or miss. Personally, I am fine driving anywhere, and walking anywhere during daytime hours. If WI allowed concealed carry, I'd be fine walking anywhere after dark as well. However, I've worked in some very rough areas of the city for a very long time, and I am comfortable with being there. Other people I know get concerned in an area like Northridge and think they are in the roughest hoods in existence. Coming from a small town (how small are we talking here?) there will most certainly be a culture shock. However, just use common sense. Obviously you're not going to be shot on site or entering a war zone if you go to, say, Metcalfe Park. Just listen to your gut; if you've got a bad feeling about somewhere, leave.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:29 PM

395 posts, read 1,860,436 times
You asked a lot of good questions. I'm going to recommend you check out the following neighborhoods based on what you said you're looking for:

Washington Heights
Story Hill
Bay View
Brewers Hill
Sherman Park
East Side

These places have a lot of nice houses, are largely safe and secure (although even the best neighborhoods can have a block or two that isn't so nice). They're walkable, and connected to public transit. Bay View and East Side are situated right along Lake Michigan, adjacent to beautiful parks with bike paths, etc.

Transit: Milwaukee's system could be better. But depending on where you live, it can work relatively well for you. If you live on the East Side, you can just about anywhere by bus. If you live in Bay View or Story Hill, you're about 15 minutes from downtown by bus. The other neighborhoods I listed are a little more disconnected. I live in Sherman Park and it takes me a good 30 minutes to get downtown by bus.

Things to do with kids? Take your pick. Milwaukee has a great zoo, a great art museum, a solid natural history museum, a solid children's museum, a lively theater scene, natural areas closeby for hiking, fishing, and the incomparable Discovery World.

I personally have never had a kid in First Act Theater. But I'm familiar with the organization, their staff and their work. From what I hear, it's one of the most highly regarded youth theater programs in the United States. When you're in town, visit the Milwaukee Youth Arts Center, which houses First Act. That place is amazing.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:00 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
check the google map thread and go from there, depending on the east side there really isnt a kid atomosphere it depends where you live though. maybe im biased (because im an adult now, but i remeber where i grew up in green tree apartments and went to hawthorne elementary 41st vera that area had kids all over now when i go back thru theres no kid presence like it was up til i was about 17.

theres lots of safe areas depending on what *you* consider safe not anyone elses opinion nor mine things can happens anywhere in milwaukee, some places more than others but in many parts where you think nothing will happen things happen just not often.

even in neigborhoods like these theres moderate gang activity but still safe at least to me

Washington Heights(southern north west)
Story Hill
Bay View(south east)
Brewers Hill(north side/ N. east side)
Sherman Park(north side)
East Side

walkers point(SOUTH SIDE) is also an on the rise district some people call it the latin quarters

are there any ethnic areas you wish to avoid, or live by or theres no preference for you.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:12 PM

603 posts, read 2,358,246 times
Are you looking to live in the cities or suburbs? Where will you be commuting for work? Do you want to buy a house right away or rent? What kind of schools do you want to send your children to, i.e., public, private, parochial? If you want a house right away, what is your price range? A little more info will allow us to help you better.

There are tons of things to do with kids here in Milwaukee. Milwaukeemoms.com is a great resource.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:57 PM

6 posts, read 13,062 times
Default Milwaukee is family friendly

We've lived in Milwaukee for 6 years and thoroughly enjoyed our experience - it is a very revitalized area full of culture, great natural resources and just minutes from the lake, the farm or cool, hip shopping.

You might consider burbs close to the city - Shorewood (just north of the city) and Wauwatosa (just east) are right on the edge of Milwaukee with the benefit for good suburban neighborhood schools and neighborhoods and all the bennies of the city (minutes from zoo, Miller Park, the lake, downtown, etc.)

I have a child who has participated in First Stage Children's Theater - it is the premiere children's acting academy in the country. It has been an amazing experience - they teach life skills through stage skills and my daughter has truly benefitted. They have academy classes throughout the year and a summer camp academy. I highly recommend it.

Milwaukee is a grea little city - totally manageable. For kids, there's the Betty Brinn Children's Museum, The Milwaukee Public Museum, The Milwaukee County Zoo (fab), Discover World Science Museum, Cool Water Outdoor Waterpark (summers) and many other great local parks, neighborhood activities and watering holes.

Check out Metroparent Magazine at www.MilwaukeeMoms.com for family friendly stuff to do.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
I thought I saw that you were moving to Denver this year? I remeber your name from the CO board.

Anyway, like others have said, pretty much everything in Milwaukee is hit-or-miss. Safety, transit, etc. is all a mixed bag. Basically, any of the north or far west suburbs should be okay (although crime reaches them too, there's no avoiding it).

Old 05-19-2008, 10:49 PM

242 posts, read 432,894 times
Honestly, it depends on where specifically you plan to move to. Some people say they are moving to "Milwaukee" for work, however, they are actually working 20 miles west in the burbs. Can you be a little more specific about the location of your job and whether you want to live very close to the city?

Old 05-21-2008, 07:54 PM

56 posts, read 214,747 times
If you're looking in the suburbs, I would consider Wauwatosa (west). It's a nice area with a small downtown area and a lot of families. It's not far from downtown or any other point in the area.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:27 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
me and my family are moving to Milwaukee between June and July. we have 5 kids under 10 years old. we are looking for a nice, middle class area to raise our kids in, where there is plenty of culture, the crime isn't terrible, area parks, and walking distance to, say, convenience stores, coffee shops, places to eat, etc. we love to ride our bikes, so parks and safety is important.

other than that, i was wondering about:

what there is to do with kids in milwaukee...

thoughts on safety in the city...

any personal experience with 1st Act childrens theatre...

the transit system...

which hospitals do you think are best?

and any other info i should know! lol

we're moving from a small town so we're kinda overwhelmed with the thought lol

so any info is good info!

thanks in advance!
Well, what some people posted is correct, there are little neighborhoods that are just fine. I guess it depends on your income level & what you can spend. I have a friend who lives on I think it's 86th & Capitol. Now, that's right on the edge of Milwaukee, near the freeway but still considered ok to live, meaning not a lot of crime. There is reasonable housing prices there, at least it was when they bought a few years back. Bayview is where I live & there are some really cute houses around here & it's very close to the lake. East side is great, but if you're renting or buying I have to admit it's pricey. Wauwatosa is safe, but again I think you'll be getting into the pricey area. Don't know what you can afford but I hope our posts have helped you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee