Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:43 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Why give them $? It's like rewarding your dog for crapping on the carpet.

Portland OR is full of these scammers and it is too late for this place.
Do your city a favor, don't give them a dime. More WILL come if you do.

This isn't a dog. It's a human. Good God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 09:47 AM

50 posts, read 169,134 times
Same people , same corners every day , if they would expend as much time and energy on finding a job they would not have to do this. Some of them are making $500 a week tax free. Just think about it , keep your money in your pocket , it's a scam....

Old 09-28-2015, 02:13 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This isn't a dog. It's a human. Good God.
You're missing the point being made. The vast majority of these humans are perfectly capable of obtaining a profession, although they choose to be beggars.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:29 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Sure, they choose that over living in a house, taking regular showers, having regular meals consisting of quality ingredients, having pride about your job or lot in life, a phone, and so on. And why do they choose this?

Nearly half have serious mental health issues. A good % of the rest are hooked on drugs. They "choose" to live a dangerous life in poor conditions because they are unable to find their way in normal society and drop out. Some are unskilled, some had jobs/lives but couldn't afford medical bills and are too old to be hired for anything, and so on.

Not one of you on here would trade with the best-off of the bunch. And I'll bet every one of them would trade for any of our lives - a house, a savings account, a car, a spouse, a job.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:48 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Sure, they choose that over living in a house, taking regular showers, having regular meals consisting of quality ingredients, having pride about your job or lot in life, a phone, and so on. And why do they choose this?

Nearly half have serious mental health issues. A good % of the rest are hooked on drugs. They "choose" to live a dangerous life in poor conditions because they are unable to find their way in normal society and drop out. Some are unskilled, some had jobs/lives but couldn't afford medical bills and are too old to be hired for anything, and so on.

Not one of you on here would trade with the best-off of the bunch. And I'll bet every one of them would trade for any of our lives - a house, a savings account, a car, a spouse, a job.
This is always what cracks me up. When people sit on their high horse & exclaim over how much money people on welfare get for doing nothing, how much money scamming homeless people get every week, etc. Oh yeah? Well hey, if they're living the high life with no effort really, why don't YOU go ahead & quit your job, go on welfare & spend your days working people into giving you change. If they've got it so good, why don't the complainers want it as well?

Old 09-28-2015, 02:59 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post

To quote myself, nine (9) posts prior:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post

There are about a dozen 25-27 year old guys around the city that panhandle for a living. They're perfectly capable human beings that prefer to play the part of homeless, rotating around the city, changing stories to see what works best.

How do I know? I'm friends with one of their high school classmates, whom pointed out their scam. They're just a group of high school buddies from the south side who found the easy life.

I could continue to write up an essay on why you should never "donate" to panhandlers on our Milwaukee streets, but lets just say it's not a wise decision.
These beggars lead otherwise normal lives. Just this morning I read a Facebook status from a friend detailing how he delivered a $469 mattress to the home of a Southside man who gloated about being a beggar. This man falls into the same group of friends in the above quote.

Too many "guilty" donators fall hook-line-and-sinker to this BS. You can go ahead and be one of them, but you are feeding the problem.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:23 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,859,347 times
As I noted earlier, the town I currently live in;Portland OR is, in some places, overrun with these folks. Of course the Progressive Portland demographic of middle class people riddled with white guilt and being generally patsies for anything a liberal Mayor and his cronies dream up; encourage these folks with all sorts of free goodies and ground to pitch their tents. This in turn, encourages more of them to come.

Eventually, like now, you end up with parks and curb sides filled with undesirable, dirty, crazy, drug induced nut jobs.

Reminds me of growing up in Madison in 70's and 80's. White liberals wished to help minorities and created all kinds of school programs designed specifically for the "downtrodden." Now it is funny to see same folks complaining about how Madison schools and Madison in general have suffered due to the increase in non English speaking minorities and the invasion of the Chicago low income crowd.

Motto - If you build it- they will come.

I guess the one thing Milwaukee has going for it is cold winters. Even if you get lot's of Hobo's, I'm sure they would migrate south like geese once Sept. is over.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:28 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
This is always what cracks me up. When people sit on their high horse & exclaim over how much money people on welfare get for doing nothing, how much money scamming homeless people get every week, etc. Oh yeah? Well hey, if they're living the high life with no effort really, why don't YOU go ahead & quit your job, go on welfare & spend your days working people into giving you change. If they've got it so good, why don't the complainers want it as well?

Melodrama of the highest order.

No one is saying Hobo's have it good. People are saying - the outside image is, in many cases, not real. Use your noggin and think before just giving a scammer your hard earned $.

It is interesting how often people on these boards take an emotional argument way over the top.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:12 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

It is interesting how often people on these boards take an emotional argument way over the top.
You mean like you? Drama much?

Old 09-29-2015, 08:23 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You mean like you? Drama much?

Got to love the anecdotes of scammers that assuredly paints a much more realistic picture than all the data/studies showing the mental health and addiction issues that dominate the homeless population.

But I know a guy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee