Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 11:58 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,269,151 times

Advertisements

My husband has been at Aurora St. Luke's Hospital (29th & Oklahoma) for three weeks. Almost every day I see a rather sad looking guy holding a sign "Homeless. Please help." near Loomis & 27th Street. He has been there at 8 AM and at 4 PM, in the pouring rain and on the very hottest days, always looking very sad.

Does anyone know if he is a legitimate homeless person or a scam artist? I have never stopped and my husband will be released from the hospital in a few days. If this truly is a homeless man, down on his luck, I would be happy to give him a gift card to a local restaurant for a few meals, or to the grocery store, but I do know that some panhandlers are just con artists and probably have more expendable money that I do.

Anyone know anything about this guy?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 12:40 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,550,157 times
Do you not spend much time elsewhere in town? I drive past 3-4 of 'em every day, though only on the way home from work (7AM must be too early...though you'd have the beat to yourself). I'll bet some who do this bring in more than others working for minimum wage. Some are legit and could use help. I think it would be nearly impossible to follow the hundreds of people with signs around town to see who's legit and who is not.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Do you not spend much time elsewhere in town? I drive past 3-4 of 'em every day, though only on the way home from work (7AM must be too early...though you'd have the beat to yourself). I'll bet some who do this bring in more than others working for minimum wage. Some are legit and could use help. I think it would be nearly impossible to follow the hundreds of people with signs around town to see who's legit and who is not.
I usually only drive in the SW suburbs. Nope, I have never ran across a panhandler who was as regular as this guy. I took a chance that a C-D poster may be from that neighborhood and familiar with that guy.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:32 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,604,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I usually only drive in the SW suburbs. Nope, I have never ran across a panhandler who was as regular as this guy. I took a chance that a C-D poster may be from that neighborhood and familiar with that guy.
I've got I think 3 regulars in the district I work in. Depending on how I feel on a given day, I may or may not give them a couple bucks. Just use your judgment, it's up to you.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:50 PM

842 posts, read 781,915 times
If they have a sign on while walking around picking up garbage & throwing it away, or, engaged in some other useful or helpful activity . . . I am much more inclined to donate something to them.

If they're standing in the rain on cold days, & the hottest sunlight on scorching days, that seems like a ploy to get people to feel sorry for them & be more likely to gift to them. Those I won't give to.

If they are strong enough to be standing around under such circumstances, they are strong enough to be doing something worthwhile, somewhere, for somebody . . . demonstrating their willingness to work for their keep.

Have you ever asked this guy what kind of help he is seeking?
If he wants work of some kind, why doesn't it say so on his sign . . . ?

You might try offering him a small job of some kind --a real one-- just to see how he responds & does with it.
If he seems to think it's beneath him, I'd just move on . . . but . . .
If he's just unsure of himself, that's another thing entirely.

I had posted already, but, came back to add a link to a similar blog that you might want to look at:

"Do you give money to people begging on the streets?"
https://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...e-begging.html

Old 09-22-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
My daughter used to ride on the same city bus as regular panhandler to her college campus. Although, she did not get to know him well, he clearly used panhandling as a scam and it was pretty clear (from his new top of the line cell phone, long before anyone else had one - etc.) that it was quite lucrative. I can't remember the exact dollar amount, but he once told my daughter that he "quit work" when he earned X amount of money that day, and it was more than she made a week at her part time job.

OTOH, there was a disabled (PTS or head injury), homeless vet that panhandled near her apartment, and whenever he got cash he used it to buy food at the nearby grocery store (she would see him both places) and sometimes he would buy extra food (presumably for his homeless buddies).

Obviously, if she had a little extra cash she gave it to the second guy.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:48 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,109,732 times
This strikes a chord with me.

There are about a dozen 25-27 year old guys around the city that panhandle for a living. They're perfectly capable human beings that prefer to play the part of homeless, rotating around the city, changing stories to see what works best.

How do I know? I'm friends with one of their high school classmates, whom pointed out their scam. They're just a group of high school buddies from the south side who found the easy life.

I could continue to write up an essay on why you should never "donate" to panhandlers on our Milwaukee streets, but lets just say it's not a wise decision.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:15 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,550,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I've got I think 3 regulars in the district I work in. Depending on how I feel on a given day, I may or may not give them a couple bucks. Just use your judgment, it's up to you.
This is what I do. Occasionally I'll throw 'em a dollar or some change, which frankly isn't much. My guess is even those who are using this as a "ploy" have serious issues (mental, drug, or both) to even be out there stigmatized by an entire city in the first place. Basically, all of them could probably use some level of help.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:06 AM

2,686 posts, read 3,884,418 times
Why give them $? It's like rewarding your dog for crapping on the carpet.

Portland OR is full of these scammers and it is too late for this place.
Do your city a favor, don't give them a dime. More WILL come if you do.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:26 PM

Final update, I was going to talk with this guy on the last day that I drove past him but he wasn't there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee